Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Default Protein for breakfast

After months stuck at about 136 lbs. and working like mad, I am finally losing weight. In a few weeks I am down to 133. The secret for me was switching from a high carb/low fat diet to a lot of lean protein. I have been eating greek yogurt or egg white sandwiches for breakfast, veggie dogs for lunch, and usually chicken and vegetables for dinner. I have been snacking on fruit. The best part about this is I don't get the panicked hunger feeling I used to get from carb breakfasts. Even whole grains seems to burn away in about an hour, leaving me feeling half starved. I think this is something I can easily stick with! During the school year I eat breakfast at 5 am, and don't have another chance to eat until 12:30. I have some anxiety issues, and when the hunger hits it feeds into my anxiety and I convince myself I will pass out if I can't eat. A few times I had to let the kids out to recess early because I was having a panic attack! Now I feel like I can have the protein-filled breakfast and make it through my morning. I hope this is a way to kill two birds with one stone!
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Protein works wonders.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

I heart protein!

I feel the same way about too many carbs and the panic-y hungry feeling. My DH can always tell when I'm hungry because I'm just so anxious!
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #4  

Just a little bit of protein (I eat a couple eggs) in the morning was the difference for me and made it so much easier for me to hold to my calorie allowance for the day.
Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

A [skinny, fit] friend of mine has been telling me this for years: "If you want to lose weight, eat protein for breakfast."

Two [skinny, super-fit] women in my neighborhood tell me: "Eat protein at every meal and snack."

Sigh. I heart carbs.

I love breakfast cereal, but like you said, Kwinkle, it leaves me hungry by mid-morning. I used to eat HUGE bowls of cereal and still be starving by lunch. Then, when I had some blood-sugar issues during pregnancy, I cut back to small bowls of cereal and found no difference. Those darn carbs! You can load up on them and you'll still be starving an hour or two later. I think that's where Chinese food gets the reputation for leaving you hungry an hour later -- all that white rice.

Now I have cut back my cereal to just a couple days a week -- and like Augustine said, those are the hardest days to stick to my cals.

Anyone have some high-protein breakfast combos to share?
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Protein for me too!

A hypoglycemic episode can feel like a panic attack. Do some reading on-line about dietary influences on anxiety. It's very enlightening!
I don't have much time but I'm post a link if I find something quickly.

I googled "food for anxiety and depression" and got some impressive links.

My breakfast this week? 3 eggs and 3 slices of bacon.

Last edited by srmb60; 07-23-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: to add more on and on and on ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/135

Height: 5'1"

Hey I have a question a lot of people talk about having egg whites for breakfast is it healthier to take out the egg yokes? When I make eggs for breakfast I just scramble them
SheGos91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 282/257/when it feels right

I feel my best when I eat protein in the morning, I find that it keeps me satisfied longer. I try to eat protein with every meal for the same reason.
K-boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 137/130/119

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheGos91 View Post
Hey I have a question a lot of people talk about having egg whites for breakfast is it healthier to take out the egg yokes? When I make eggs for breakfast I just scramble them
Almost all the protein of the egg is in the white, and all the vitamins/minerals and fat and cholesterol is in the yolks. So I will scramble one whole egg with several whites to make sure I'm getting the vitamins/minerals. Plus I think the whites alone just look kind of sad and taste very plain.
ainsleymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 137/133/115

Height: 5'4"

Wow, SusanB, I am really excited to see that there is a link between the anxious feeling and the lack of protein. honestly...this could improve things for me 100 fold! Last school year I used to eat a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast when I got up on time, but most days I would get this terrible breakfast: a starbucks hot chocolate, a sugary pastry, and sometimes if I was really stressed I would wash it down with a can of soda...all of this happening before 6 am. It is no wonder I felt myself shutting down in a scary way at about 11:00! I would scarf my lunch, which was usually reasonalby healthy, and then hit the vending machine for some chocolate and another soda. I would drink 4 per day just to keep going--between the stress and the constant sugar crashes. It is also no wonder I gained 15 lbs in a school year, and lucky it was not more! I have always been a carb-a-holic, but now that I am eating the protein, I eat so much less, I am full all the time and sugar tastes ungodly sweet (though I let myself have one soda a day to not feel deprived). What an eye-opener.

Last edited by kwinkle; 07-24-2010 at 12:08 AM.
kwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/135

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the help ainsleymom btw your daughter is ADORABLE!
SheGos91 is offline   Reply With Quote