Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default This is a strange question but..

This is a strange question but it has been one of my insecurities since I can remember; Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of "knee fat"? Eww I can't even stand to type the words.

When I was in the 6th grade just before puberty hit, I was a size 00 and I think around 100 pounds at 5'0! I ate like crap; not kidding. I even once overheard a girl at lunch whisper to a friend "she better stop eating like that or she will be huge when she is older". I remember exactly what I got for lunch that day. Two donuts, pizza, large fries, and a bagel. Yes this was all at one sitting. Is there such thing as a sugar stroke? I hope not..

Anywhoo, puberty came at seventh grade and that is when I shot up to about 118 at 5'3! Of course that is not overweight, but it was a big difference! As most of my weight is in my thighs, my knees got a good chuck of it as well. I once overheard one of my girl friends ask a guy friend of ours "Why are her knees so big? It looks like there is water in them". Ever since that comment in the 7th grade, I have always been super selfconcious about my knees and weight.

I tell you all of this becuase I feel like I will not stop trying to lose weight until the knee fat is gone. I could be skin and bones everywhere else (dont worry I'm not even close to that ), but if the knee fat isnt gone, I will continue to try and lose weight.

My question is, what exercises, if any, help get rid of that fat? I have never been a runner and I have felt that maybe running would take care of it. I recently started running and I feel like I might be seeing a difference? Could be wishfull thinking but maybe?

Thanks for listening and sorry for the long post!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #2  
Eternally 2 pounds away..

S/C/G: 135/ticker/120

Height: 5'5"

Hello,

I've always had an issue with my knees too! I've found that since I've lost the weight my knees have started to look a lot better. However if you find that when you get closer to your goal they still don't look any better (I recommend taking a photo now of your knees so you can compare) then to some exercises to tone your inner thigh, which should tighten your knees as well.

For example: sit on the edge of chair, lift one of your legs up and point your big toe outwards at an angle and hold there for 10 seconds and repeat.
Or whilst you are sitting down, squeeze a cushion between your thighs and hold for 10 seconds.

Hope that helps.
DoraUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3  

Thank you Dora! I didnt know working out your upper thighs can help with your knees. I guess that makes sense. Congrats on getting so close to your goal! Have a great day!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Well as you probably know you can't spot reduce. Sometimes the fat we deposit in certain places is just genetic, for myself it's the thighs... I have to work really hard at keeping them lean and even then they are not that thin... Weight training will help in defining the muscle under the fat but the fat must go before the muscle will show through... Sometimes we just have to be accepting of our faults and live with them ... I know, not what you wanted to hear ... But keep trying you may be one of the few who can get rid of those fat pockets...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Well as you probably know you can't spot reduce. Sometimes the fat we deposit in certain places is just genetic, for myself it's the thighs... I have to work really hard at keeping them lean and even then they are not that thin... Weight training will help in defining the muscle under the fat but the fat must go before the muscle will show through... Sometimes we just have to be accepting of our faults and live with them ... I know, not what you wanted to hear ... But keep trying you may be one of the few who can get rid of those fat pockets...
Fat Knees for life?!

But you are right. All I can do is try my best and if that doesn't get rid of it, I will have to love all of me

Thank you for your honesty!