Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #91  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
I started some crazy challenges yesterday the 100 pushup challenge, 200 squat challenge, and 200 sit up challenge! http://www.hundredpushups.com/ It's fun--I usually do well while competing, so we'll see. Still staying off the scale. Maybe I'll weigh tomorrow and see what damage my sat did.
Very cool challenge... I'm going to try it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha12 View Post
Think things like not getting enough sleep, and swollen (sore) muscles effect weigh ins/ weight loss? I did NOT get enough sleep last night, bleck
Absolutely, muscles swell up when working out and can definitely show up on the scale....But in time, IMHO, if we follow and do everything right, the scale must go down....
Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #92  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Started writing down calories and carbs again yesterday. Quite eye-opening. I ended up at only 795 calories yesterday(which is not typical, it was just one of those days) and 52 carbs, much higher than I would have thought.

Today so far I am at 789 calories, 36 carbs. I eat my main meal at lunch and just have a snack at night. I am weighing and measuring EVERTYTHING and trying to keep my calories between 1200-1500 a day. I would have thought my carbs were closer to 30/day. So it may be time to revisit things like the nuts and yogurt, at least until I can get through this &*$*& plateau. Won't cut back on salads though.

Really glad I started writing again - had gotten away from doing it and it really makes you think.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:52 AM   #93  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've been struggling a bit. My sleep has been out of whack (worse than usual) and it is making it hard not to just eat.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #94  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

natamars - I know you must be on some sort of low carb plan but I gotta say that even when I was on phase 1 of sbd and eating NO bread, NO grains, NO starchy veggies, I still end up with 100-130 grams of carbs from veggies alone. SBD doesnt worry about that. No real point except I agree with not giving up the salad! I dont think veggie carbs metabolize the same as bread. They come bundled with water and fiber!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

Height: 5'4"

123.2 again. the past two days were perfect. today has been perfect so far. i just need to keep this up. I only have 3.4 pounds to go to meet my goal of 10 lbs. by Valentines day!

I just finished work for the day and am off until Saturday. My days off are usually disaster, so hopefully i can keep it together!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #96  
Hopeful Member

ennay, thanks for the encouragement. sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping - that will just throw everything off. hopefully the situation improves soon.

maenad, wtg! keep yourself busy and active on your days off - you'll do great.

was not feeling great again last night(cold/allergies), and also was incredibly stiff in my quads from all my squats in monday's class, so did not go to yoga. was a bit over on my calories(1604 for the day) and much too high on carbs(94). Some of the carbs came from 2 Newman's cookies(20 carbs in 2 cookies - wow), most of the rest were from healthy food.

Scale this morning has me at 145.4. Just 1/2 a lb. to finally get below 145. I am also realizing(sorry, TMI) that I have not been going to the bathroom much. Will pick up some senna leaf tea at lunch - that usually helps.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

awesome article posted in another forum! for those of us who step on the scale daily (guilty)...
http://www.fitnessquestonline.com/whythescalelies.pdf
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #98  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by natamars View Post
I am also realizing(sorry, TMI) that I have not been going to the bathroom much. Will pick up some senna leaf tea at lunch - that usually helps.
I've tried the Senna tea and it gives me very bad cramps... What works for me lately is to take a tablespoon of ground flax seeds in warm water before bed on an empty stomach... I've also been eating, my new favourite, bagged coleslaw I put a handful or two under my food at lunch and dinner, very fibrous ...

Happy to report that I got a whoosh of 2 lbs this morning ... Sure puts me in a good mood
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #99  
Hopeful Member

Nice whoosh, Ilene - you must be feeling great right now!

I do get some cramps from the senna tea but may have to resort..I'll try the flax seed tonight, though. I have some at home. I've been eating a lot of broccoli slaw as well as my salads and spinach with my eggs, but no luck so far.

shasha, interesting article on the scale. I knew about the sodium and water, but not about the glycogen. I try not to weigh in every day, but it's so hard. I keep thinking, what if I wait all week and i stay the same, or am up?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #100  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Just because the scale varies doesnt mean you cant or shouldnt weigh as often as works for you. It just means you have to accept that the scale varies. For me dealing with the variations is easier than dealing with the uncertainty of weighing once a week and not being sure if that is a "high" day or a "low" day. I lose weight slowly usually - a good rate for me is 0.5 lbs/week. My day to day variation is as much as 3 lbs (sometimes its more but those are times I expect it). I could theoretically weigh weekly and go 6 weeks seeing no change because I hit increasingly high days. THAT would be frustrating.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #101  
Hopeful Member

Wednesday went well. Ended the day at 1,087 calories and 75.5 carbs. Also got in 40 minutes on the Elliptical - thought I'd have to skip the gym since DH had band practice(he's almost 50 - it's an old man band).

And this morning I finally went to the bathroom and weighed in at 144.3! This is the lowest I've been since I started tracking again, probably a year ago. Also, the scale had my body fat at 38.7 which, while still disgusting(I remember being at 16%), is the lowest it's been on this scale.

yay!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 133/132/118

Height: 5'4"

so i ordered 30 Day Shred last week on Amazon. My mom just sent me an email that she got it and put it in the mail to me (I live in the middle east). I should get it in 2 weeks, maybe sooner. I can't wait!

I didn't weigh myself today. I drank a little last night, but stuck to Vodka. I did alright food wise which makes me happy!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #103  

S/C/G: 173/152.2/130

Height: 5’7"

Ok so I've been trying to stay off the scale this week, after sat night's binge fest and the fact that I've started working out this week so i'm SORE and probably retaining water. But I got on this morning. UGH! 163.2! Bleck.

I totally thought I was going to get a whoosh. I fit into a jacket last night that I wore on my bday in Nov; back then it was kinda tight and constricting, but last night it was light as air on me. And when I woke up, for the first time this week, I felt smaller. Boo scale, boo. Didn't anyone tell you it's not nice to lie??

maenad-well done doing ok w food. ESP while drinking vodka! I can't seem to pass up food when I drink. Must try one day...

natamars-yay for your low!!

ennay-I agree, I don't know if I could go a week just to see a gain! Super discouraging. Maybe I should try 2x a week.

Ilene-YAAAAY WOOOOSH!!

OK, my plan is to weigh again Monday, bc I'll have had 2 days of rest after friday's work out. Maybe that will help. I FREAKING HOPE!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #104  
Hopeful Member

shasha, the clothes fitting means WAY more than the scale. sounds like you're doing great - the scale will catch up soon! i took my measurements on 1/15 - going to do that twice a month from now on. my waist was 2" bigger than i thought - ugh!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 AM   #105  
Hopeful Member

Down 1.6 for the week, which is HUGE for me. Down 4.2 since I started the challenge.

Concern is that I ended up just under 800 calories again yesterday - 2nd time this week that's happened. I just wasn't particularly hungry, or I was someplace where I couldn't make a healthy(and cheap) choice. Think I will try to cycle the calories next week, keeping 1200 as the norm but going under and over some days. Staying relatively low-carb at least through this challenge, I think.

TGIF!
Closed Thread