Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Default Plateau or Set Point?

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I've reached a plateau, or whether I've just reached the weight my body is meant to be.

Plateau-like symptoms:
-I've been hovering around the same weight, 130-134, for the past few months no matter what I do
-My body looks like it has room to lose--there's some extra skin I'd like to see recede in the tummy and thighs especially.

Evidence of set point:
-I get hungry. Seriously starving. Like, if I don't eat at least 1800 calories a day (a healthy 1800 calories of lean protein, vegetables, nuts and whole grains), I either can't sleep from hunger or the next day I'm lethargic and constantly ravenous.
-My body gets weak when I dip below 130. It takes longer for my legs to heal after a run, I feel exhausted...you get the picture.

I'm now within the normal BMI range and generally healthy, which is better than most of my life. In the fifth grade I was 160, and after my eating-disordered adolescence (I got down to 105 by eating 300 calories and running five miles a day, then ballooned to 170 when I replaced crashing with binging), I hovered around 145-150 for years. Friends and family have suggested 130 is a good enough achievement and my body just wants to stay put at a nice, normal place without being disturbed for a while.

So what do you guys think? Should I accept my current weight as my "happy" one? Or should I set my mind to losing those last five pounds? Or maybe I should just camp out where I am for a year to stabilize and try again later?
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  

I'm in the same exact situation.... I started at 148.5, and I've been hovering between 130 and 133 for months. I eat very healthy and exercise regularly (a combination of weights and cardio). Visually, I think I can lose at least another 5. I definitely have some fat on my stomach to get rid of and maybe some on my butt as well. My body just seems to be content where it is. I'm curious to hear what other people might have to say about it.

tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

youve prob reached your happy weight!! I think you should give your body time to adjust to this as being your set point weight, by maintaining it for a while (like a year, as you suggested) THEN try and get the last 5 pounds off......once you start restricting your calorie intake again after a year or so, it will be more of a shock, so to speak, and the weight might come off easier than if you tried to keep going right now....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Have you experimented, then, with getting say 2000 calories a day for say a week? Maybe you're body just needs a chance to feel it's not on the edge of starving.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
youve prob reached your happy weight!! I think you should give your body time to adjust to this as being your set point weight, by maintaining it for a while (like a year, as you suggested) THEN try and get the last 5 pounds off......once you start restricting your calorie intake again after a year or so, it will be more of a shock, so to speak, and the weight might come off easier than if you tried to keep going right now....
I concur with what MK is suggesting maintain for a while then try, if possible, to lose the last 5...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #6  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Definitely try to give yourself 2-3 high calorie days. Eat 2,000 cal for this time and then go back to your regular eating. This might help boost your system. Also, I've had success with zig zagging calories.
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. For the past few days I have been eating more, but my appetite hasn't decreased It may take awhile.

Unfortunately, there may be a complication. For about a year now I've been having intense stomach pains, bloating, and severe food sensitivities, which in addition to the hunger and fatigue may indicate celiac or another gastrointestinal disorder. I have an appointment to see a gastroenterologist next week; hopefully he'll sort out my weirdness.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #8  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

tkm, hope you find out what's going on when you see the doc. Feel better! In the meanwhile, just keep an eye on your calories so you can at least maintain your current weight. Good luck!
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote