Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/148/135

Height: 5'9

Default Newbie

Hey everybody!

This feels really weird because even tho I've lurked quite a bit on this board and it has inspired me a lot I haven't had the courage to post until now. I really feel like I need support tho right now and I'm hoping that this forum can provide that.

I'm a college student studying abroad in Spain right now and struggling with weight issues that go back a long way. I have a few more pounds to lose before I feel really comfortable with my body, but most importantly I want to establish a healthier relationship with food. Since I've arrived in Spain I've been in a great exercise routine, hardly missing a day, and I feel stronger than ever. Food wise, not so much. I live with a host family and basically have to eat whatever I'm fed. Also, the food is different here so I feel my calorie estimating skills are off. The temptation to eat sweets and junk is also catching up with me because I'm off my usual routine.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, hopefully I can join in discussions now and not just read about everybody else.
samandsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi :wave Sam to the Featherweights
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #3  

S/C/G: S/C/G: 188/173.7/170

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi Sam! I did an exchange too, and I didn't even think about how my exercise and eating habits would change - I gained a LOT of weight (mmm, German pastries). You're definately ahead of the game by being aware, keeping active, and coming here for support. Welcome!
Hummus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #4  
~FaBulOuS~

S/C/G: 195/159/155

Height: 5'8

150 and taller than me, I bet your way skinny!

I would say to communicate to your "family" that you have a goal set forth in your weight loss journey and that you need to get back on track. I have never been in Italy or anywhere across seas for that matter and am unsure of their cultural differences, however they are differences and ultimately I think would be respected without offending anyone. Maybe ask to go shopping with them? See what you can find around there that you know is healthy...

These are just things I may try. I have no experience in this department. But definately wanted to offer an opinion and say hello to you and welcome! You will love it here!
meldogml84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Hey there sam

Sam! I ahve some questions for you.

What are the body types of your host family like? Are they generally on the slender, normal, or overweight side? If they are slender to normal then possibly just eat whatever they do and be very aware of portions.

Do they have a lot of cooked food or are salads and fruit available? As for the meal times they are a lot later than what we are used to but doesn't everyone take a big siesta right after lunch? That would kill some time.

And maybe you could make sure you have some fruit as a snack for the late afternoon cravings?

Finally, do you have access to their kitchen and fridge? You migfht want to mention to them that you are trying to lose some weight and ask if you could adjust some of the things they feed you accordingly. The examples that come to mind are substituting low fat dressing on salads, having bread with no butter, and having low fat dairy products available.

Enjoy your stay in Spain! Great people, great food, and mucho vino!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

Hello!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 179/148/135

Height: 5'9

Default Good Morning!

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! I'm doing pretty well with the food but it's definitely a challenge.

My host family is an older couple, and while they are not the slender type my mother does cook a lot of vegetables, and I usually have a salad for dinner. I'm more concerned about portion size, which during lunch can be huge! The siesta after lunch really just means that all the stores close, you don't really nap or anything and usually I have class. I prefer when I have class, because that is distracting, but the weekends are killer. I always have an apple in the afternoon, and recently I found nutella! which I was so excited about because they don't have peanut butter here and I need some protein/good fat in my diet.

My host madre really rules the kitchen, and I'm afraid to tell her I'm on a diet because she already thinks I don't eat enough/exercise too much lol. one thing I have concentrated on is leaving bread behind, which doesn't seem to be a big deal. You eat bread with everything here, and I always get a few big slices just for me, but if I don't eat them my host madre just holds them over til next meal, which is fine with me

Still just working hard on guestimating portion sizes to keep my calorie counting up to speed...Does anyone have tricks for common food items and guessing portion sizes? Thanks for the support!
samandsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

Off the top of my head... and folks please feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

a standard deck of playing cards or the size of your palm = a portion of meat (maybe 3 ounces, don't really remember the weight)
a clenched fist = a portion of carbs, fruit, or veg - about a cup
the upper joint to the tip of your thumb = 1 teaspoon
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote