Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #1  

Default Ugghhhh....confused and upset!

I have been a member of this site for a year so, but to be honest I stopped logging on because no one really ever e-mailed me or provided me suggestions. Then, I just looked back at old replies and found that a lady suggested that I try this support. I didn't realize that 160's is considered featherweight, especially when I am 5'2".

I am just wanting someone to e-mail and talk to about our daily battles and struggles. I am 22, 5'2", 165 lbs., have a love/hate relationship with food and exercise.

I have done most diets...SouthBeach, The Zone, Atkins, Detoxing (with Juice), etc.

This time around I have already bought a binder to count calories, log exercize data and how I felt about what I did or didn't do. I am ready this time, but it always seems to be easier with a buddy.
motivated120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5

I am not a Featherweight but I wanted to welcome you to the Forum. The people are great and you will get lots of great (much needed) advice. I do calorie counting and it has worked wonders for me. Please continue to come here the people here give you the support you need. This place is a great resource. Anyway, if you ever feel the need to "talk", PM me!

P.S. I am originally from St. Louis - us MidWesterners have to stick together. Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RoyalAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #3  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hey there! And welcome back!

Despite most emphatically not being a featherweight myself, I find myself here because I followed the headline link on the front page.

Forgive me - I may be totally out of line, but I couldn't help noticing that your frustration seemed to stem from what you perceive as other people's failure to reach out to you? And maybe that isn't really what you meant, I don't know - but for my part, I'm finding this site a terrific resource for practical and emotional support - but I think if I'd just sat and waited for people to email me, or come and help fix my problems, then I'd have a very different perspective on the site.

For me, I like logging in to the daily chat, reading other people's posts, commenting, offering ideas, sharing my own experiences - the general give-and-take of forming online relationships. I didn't expect people to email me - I'm finding the coffee-klatch atmosphere of the threads much more stimulating and supportive than a one-to-one messaging relationship.

Maybe that isn't so much your cup of tea? Or maybe you had the unfortunate experience of feeling that you were investing a lot of time in listening to others, supporting them, nurturing relationships - and getting nothing back? I don't know. I'm sorry you didn't find it answered your expectations, though, whatever happened, and I do hope that you find it more rewarding this time around!
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #4  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I agree w/ Fay. I have been here wow 2 years now and have made lots of wonderful friends. When I first came here I struggled too and then I just started reading threads and replying to posts and what not. Maybe just read around the site, find something that interests you and respond??

Feel free to come and chat with us in the Jaded Ladies or Back to Kindergarden <--In Misc. Clubs Threads, new people are always welcomed.

Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Entering any online community is sort of like walking into a very crowded room of strangers. To meet people, you really have to be outgoing and jump into conversations, because otherwise it's easy to go unnoticed. If you tell people what you're looking for, there's usually somebody able and willing to provide it, but (just like in that crowded room) sometimes you have to repeat yourself in order to get a response. There isn't a person here, if they've been here long enough that hasn't asked a question or made a comment and gotten dead silence in return. It's just that crowded room thing, where if you're not talking to anyone in particular, or if you're drowned out by the din of the crowd, you can get overlooked.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Most of us don't email each other, we may send an instant message once in awhile but most of our communication is done thru these forums. You can post anywhere you feel comfortable. I think you have made a good start counting calories and exercising.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Sounds like, after reading your post, that you might be the perfect candidate for a smaller Miscellaneous Club. It might be good for you, because it's a smaller group of friendly ladies (and possibly some gents) who would be able to personally respond to you. They're often all about daily struggles, and daily lives beyond weight loss, and tips and tricks and support.

However, as others have mentioned, this is a forum. And that means you have to do some reaching out first. Sometimes a little more than just one or two posts. Such is life on the internet. With a smaller active group, you may be able to be noticed more quickly by each individual person. However, sometimes it means you might have to wait a couple days for responses, because not everyone is online all the time. It also doesn't mean that you can post just once and expect everyone to start PMing you. We all need something to respond to. Give and take.

I honestly suggest finding a smaller, active group (or two!) that you start posting in daily. Even if no one has responded one day, just post a daily thought or experience. Who knows? Maybe after doing this for a few, you might dip your toes into many more areas!

We're all here because we want to support everyone, but it does mean people have to be here and ask for the support they need.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I think you're seeing that sitting back and waiting for others to take care of you doesn't work out too well--in here or in life. You get back what you give out. Good luck! I hope you decide to participate in the forums and take an active role in your own success.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Motivated! I don't really consider myself a featherweight either, I'm 5'3" and 165 lbs, so we're nearly in the same boat. I find myself coming to this forum mostly because there isn't really a specific forum for people who need to lose between 30-50 pounds. You might also try the 20-Somethings forum. It not a tiny group, but smaller than some of the others out there so you'll get some more attention. That and they are in our age group and can relate a little better to us.

And like everyone else has said, to get support you have to ask for it. I'm really new, only joined a few days ago, but every time I've posted I've gotten at least one response. Just hang in there!! It takes time to make friends online, just like in real life!
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Entering any online community is sort of like walking into a very crowded room of strangers. To meet people, you really have to be outgoing and jump into conversations, because otherwise it's easy to go unnoticed. If you tell people what you're looking for, there's usually somebody able and willing to provide it, but (just like in that crowded room) sometimes you have to repeat yourself in order to get a response. There isn't a person here, if they've been here long enough that hasn't asked a question or made a comment and gotten dead silence in return. It's just that crowded room thing, where if you're not talking to anyone in particular, or if you're drowned out by the din of the crowd, you can get overlooked.
My goodness, you hit the nail right on the head!! I love your crowded room example, it's perfect.

Not everyone can respond to your queries either in a post or by PM or by e-mail... don't take it personally, no one, IMHO, is out to hurt anyone on this site... We're here because we have ONE thing in common we want to lose weight, whether it be 5lbs or 100lbs.... So we want to motivate, encourage and help each other...

As members and moderators we do our best...

back to 3FC and just jump in and post away...Find your niche....

Last edited by Ilene; 04-03-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #11  

Thank you for the suggesstions. I seea lot of your points; however, I didn't just sit back the last time. I did post and read threads a lot and then actually got e-mailing a couple of people, which was extraordinary and super supportive. That is one of the reasons why I would like it again. Unfortunately, the two girls that I was e-mailing lost their weight before I did and we lost touch. I read the different forums everyday, but I don't really know where to go anymore. I appreciate all the advice though and thank you.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Check these ones out:

20-something's:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138484

Featherweights:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138490

Jaded Ladies:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138733

Back in Kindergarden:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138535

Or just browse around the Misc Clubs area:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Now you have a few places to begin
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Motivated, are you saying that you would like an one-on-one buddy to PM and share your plan with?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #14  

That would be yes, but I guess...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've exchanged emails with a couple of gals a few time ... never lasts. Don't know why ... it just isn't the same as belonging to a sorta assorted group.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote