Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Smile Planning & Chat for Jan 7 - 13

Good morning and welcome to week 2 of the new year.

Are all the holiday goodies/scheduling changes, etc. gone?Is your 2008 plan working? If not, how will you tweak it this week?

Have a great week everyone!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:28 AM   #2  

Question Some overlap on threads

I think we might be duplicating and overlapping information on some of the threads now - this one, the January Club, and the new workout/weigh in thread posted by Ilene last night.

How about we drop the January Club one? It was more of a motivational sign up and a promise to commit in the New Year. We have done that.

I think the other two threads will cover our "usual business" nicely.

Dagmar
Old 01-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #3  

Thumbs up I've figured out maintenance

Now to lose some weight! I'm at 133.4 this Mon.morning.

Got a new notebook and started writing down the calories this morning. Weighed my apple too. I tend to eat the same brekkie and lunch during the week to save time and to know how many calories I'm consuming.

Dinner is the problem . Although we have healthy dinners I never quite know how many calories are in what I'm eating unless we make something "prefab". Now DH no longer want to use those kinds of foods and he's also buying groceries and cooking.

I think I will just eyeball portions and then take a bit less than I think is a portion. I'll see how it goes .

The weekends again involved eating out, DH cooking (he's very, very sensitive to criticism at this point) and extra snacks outside the home.

Again I'll just have to take less. 1/2 the bag of popcorn at the movie, leave some of the restaurant dinner, etc. This goes against all of my "clean your plate", no throwing away food upbringing but I'm going to make my own decisions about my health now .

Happy Monday everyone!

Dagmar (it's springtime today )
Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Dagmar, DailyPlate.com lets you enter recipes and calculate the calories for them. It does take a bit of time (maybe 5 minutes per recipe?), but I think it's worth it to be able to track everything I put in my mouth. On my blog I also post a lot of healthy recipes, or you could try other sources, but maybe if you provide your husband with healthy recipes it will be easier? I've become a DailyPlate addict, and I've been using it every day for the last two months - feel free to "friend" me on there (same username).
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I try to stay away from, what did your DH call them, "Frankenfoods"?, too. So I usually cook from cookbooks that provide all the nutritional info. My favourites are the 3 from the "Looneyspoons" series (Podleski & Podleski). I f you don't have any of them, they are easy to get at Chapters. The recipes are great, the portions are generous, and the information is already calculated for you.

Last edited by Janie Canuck; 01-07-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #6  

Default Cooking from recipes

I rarely use recipes anymore when cooking. We have certain foods that we both like and I combine them in different ways. Lots of one-pot meals with salads on the side are our winter mainstays.

I did buy two new "diet" books that contain recipes so I will take a look at them.

Out main problem is portion control. If I make a recipe that feeds 6 we usually have enough left over for one of us to eat the next day. DH is a big believer in the "Fit for Life" diet and it apparently says to eat unlimited amounts of healthy food .

If he cooks something and I ask for a small portion he is insulted . I do want him to take on more of the cooking so I feel I have to eat quite a bit of whatever he makes (where is the labrador retriever when I need one? )

We will figure it out eventually.

Dagmar
Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Well I finally had a great on plan day

I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep and so I got up and rode my exercise bike for 30 minutes this morning before work . Yeah, I really did! I even turned on the "Fit TV" channel and watched them do arobics while I peddled away. Kinda made me feel like I was in the gym .

I ate on plan all day and finished off tonight with 1210 calories for the day, low fat and higher protien count. Now if I can just put together another day like this tomorrow.

Dagmar - I wish my DH would cook! I cook and he cleans up. Well at least he does something .

I wish that I liked to cook but the truth is, I don't. And I find the older I get the less I like to cook. But I did cook today and really it's not that hard and you can count the calories soooo much easier than eating out. I really need to make this a habit.

Congrats to all who are doing well, and tomorrow is a new day for those who aren't. Hope everyone has a great evening.
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  

Thumbs up Whoo hoo abbyin

You had a great day! Hope today is just as good.

Dagmar
Old 01-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #9  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Down another pound.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I had an awesome swim on Saturday morning. It was a short lull (just long enough for me to get my one-hour swim in) in the storms we've been having. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the air was crisp and still, and the pool was heated to the exact perfect temperature. They also had the lanes running the long way, which means I swam 2400 meters instead of yards (meters are a little longer than yards) and I didn't have to count as high or do as many flip turns. And the lap swimmers had the whole pool to ourselves (normally we share with the HS swim team and then the masters team and we get squeezed into four lanes when they run them the long way), so I had a lane to myself for almost the whole swim. Everything about it was just perfect!

I also dropped six pounds on Sunday. Woo-hoo! It was all water, but what a relief.

My SO is on his own for breakfast and lunch, but I take care of dinner every night. I used to try to get him to cook, but I've gotten to the point where I'd just prefer to be in control of what I eat. Even if I'm making a recipe up, I figure out the calories so I know exactly (well, as exact as you can get--calorie info is all really an estimate) how many calories I am eating. In fact, because I usually alter most recipes, even if the recipe has nutritional info provided, I usually end up refiguring it. I don't mind the cooking. It's sort of like going to the gym, just something I do every day without thinking about it. I do wish I could get my SO to clean up though.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Dang Barbara! Did you send those 6 pounds over to me? I've been gaining, but I know it's temporary (TOM) and I can't WAIT to see the scale go down!!!! It's been too long since I've had a loss.

Today I am not going to sabotage myself. The only thing is I didn't run this morning. I was still a little nauseous from yesterday, so I'll take it easy. I'll go for my mile power walk tonight, though. I was doing so well yesterday until Domino's arrived. Gah! 4 slices of pizza! Where on earth did I get the idea that 4 slices would be okay?

Okay, off to eat my snack (grapefruit).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #12  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi everyone - sliding back in after a rather long absence. I started the year at 148, currently 146.6. which is better than last year's start of 158. Not as good as September/October when I was tantalizingly close to cracking 140.

My daily plan is the plan for the year. I love my food and the second I feel in anyway deprived I binge. I know this because I have 20 years experience of it. My "latest" plan is to aim for 2-3 pounds a month. With the amount of exercise I've been forcing myself to do it means I can eat a fair bit. Well that's the theory.

Hope you're all well and it's nice to see you again
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

Got waaaay off track Monday, given the Buckeye's football game. Back on it today though.
BLLgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
Hi everyone - sliding back in after a rather long absence. I started the year at 148, currently 146.6. which is better than last year's start of 158. Not as good as September/October when I was tantalizingly close to cracking 140.

My daily plan is the plan for the year. I love my food and the second I feel in anyway deprived I binge. I know this because I have 20 years experience of it. My "latest" plan is to aim for 2-3 pounds a month. With the amount of exercise I've been forcing myself to do it means I can eat a fair bit. Well that's the theory.

Hope you're all well and it's nice to see you again
Nice to have you back! Most of us are still here although SusanB mostly hangs out in maintenance now. Which brings me to ask, just where is maintenance? Anyone?

Dagmar
Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #15  
No Sniveling!

S/C/G: 168/130/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello

Me again! I don't seem to be doing very well with my aim to post here every day

I bought a new scale so I hope it is relatively the same as my old one. I've heard sometimes when you get a new scale you weigh a little different. I'll be weighing on it for the first time on Thursday. Hopefully you won't hear me scream!

Not much going on with me. It was raining cats & dogs for 3 days but it quit yesterday. It was just constant! I don't mind the rain unless I have to drive in it (which I do!).

My husband & sons went to the Chargers football game on Sunday in the pouring rain. We have season tickets so they always go but I though maybe they would stay home because of the rain! HA! I guessed right away that my question of "would they stay home if it was pouring rain" horrified them! by the looks on their faces

Well hope everyone is being successful in getting back on track and getting rid of all the holiday food that is leftover. I've done pretty well over the holidays with eating, not great but not horrible either (and I've really kept up with the exercising). Talk to you all later. Jane
greatchoice is offline   Reply With Quote