Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM   #1  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

Height: 5'3"

Talking I am starting Fat Smash on Sunday, 9/3/06!

OK gals, I'm a little nervous. Long story short, when I first signed up with this site I was 260. This was mid July. From just cutting down my soda intake and having smaller portions, I managed to lose 10.5 lbs. However, I want to jump start into a new program to really try to get the pounds off.

I met Joan (189bgone) from this site and she sent me the Fat Smash book. I've read all the success (and not so successful) stories on here and I look forward to starting the journey. I'm just nervous that I'm going to be without soda for nine whole days. I get serious migraines so I picked 9/3 (Sunday) to start because I have both Sunday and Monday off from work. If I'm going to be sick, I hope to be sick when I don't have to be at work.

Well, wish me luck! I'm off to the supermarket tomorrow to get ready for the big day. What is the average weight loss after the detox session?

L.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/170/135

Height: 5'5

hey girl! You can do it. I had a tremendous headache from coffee withdrawal ( i used to drink 4-5 cups a day) for the first few days but after that, I was fine. I too was a big soda drinker and i was able to curb my cravings from them. I just kept asking myself, Do you want that coke or to lose weight? Even though I didn't stay on Fat Smash long term, i do feel that it truly detoxed me from the soda and coffee.
I wish you the best of luck! You can do it!
Old 09-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/173/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! I too was a Diet coke and coffee fan! I cant' believe that I haven't had either since Aug 22! I'm going to continue trying to not have either (it's cheaper to drink water ). Good luck...ask questions if you have them!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #4  
fitness seeker!

S/C/G: 186/186/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi L!

I too will be starting this fat smashing lifestyle change TOMORROW!! Wanna be online fat smashing accountability buddies? I put up an ad on craigslist for folks in my area and have 2 interested parties, but you never know until you see it! I am SO excited to see how many others have had success with this plan. I am gonna be hitting up costco and trader joe's tomorrow to get all my supplies-- do you all know about the frozen brown rice at TJ's? Organic, delicious and only takes 3 min in the microwave AND each of the 3 bags included in a package are about 2 cups. Takes the guess work and portion control issues out of it!

I think I need to lose at least 40 lbs, but for now, that's the goal I am setting. Anyway, I am on the other side of the country in California and have never really gone on a diet. Been chubby/fat for many years, and part of mine IS due to an adrenal condition called adrenal hyperplasia--however NOW my hormones are in check with meds and shouldn't be interfering with my weight loss goal! No more excuses, I am ready...

I look forward to coming back and gaining more inspiration from you ladies.

Oh and I think the estimated weight loss for the detox phase is 5-10 lbs. Though most people seem right around a pound a day... I think it really depends on how much exercise one does and how faithful they are to the eating plan. I want to aim for 9! How about you?

Last edited by serenityandsunshine; 09-03-2006 at 04:34 AM. Reason: just cuz i had more to add!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 177/173/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to our "club" ! I've been fat smashing since Aug. 22 and I hope you find it as easy as I did!!! Good luck to you both!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #6  

good luck to all i was suppose to start last week but i never got the book so i am going to start tomorrow. Can anyone help i hate oatmeal and milk so i already have a problem does anyone have any substitues for it.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #7  
Cute n' curvy.

Well, today is the day. I'm officially on the Fat Smash Diet. Here's what I ate so far:

8 a.m. - slept ... lol ... didn't eat a thang
11 a.m. - 6 oz. yogurt
2 p.m. - raspberries
5 p.m. - oatmeal with skim milk

Later on I'll have a salad and then do another workout on the Gazelle. I exercised for 30 minutes after I ate my first meal. So far I feel OK. My stomach is kinda acidy due to the fruit and I've been peeing like crazy. That's the reason I'm eating the oatmeal and milk now because I want something to coat my stomach.

SO FAR, no cravings for soda. However, it's only been half a day. I will keep you all posted.

Sunshine: I'd love to be your FS buddy! Too bad we live on OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE COUNTRY! That's why I love this site so much.

Later gals!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #8  
it's always something

Ooh, I love raspberries Where's the brown rice? You must eat 2 cups of brown rice daily to qualify as a fat smasher It's easier than it sounds. Or at least it gets easier, lol.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #9  
fitness seeker!

I don't think you're eating enough, L!

This is what I ate so far:

breakfast: small apple (cute little ones from TJs), 3 egg whites, 1 cup brown rice and black beans

snack: edamame beans and apple

lunch: yogurt, w/ froz berries, rice mixed with tempeh (marinated tofu), corn and edamame (soycutash from TJs) and some black bean juice, grilled tomatoes and onion.

I went out and bought a ton of stuff that's prepped so I have no excuses for not jamming that fruit and veggies intake up as high as necessary to avoid prohibited foods. Good think I am not addicted to caffeine or anything like that... I almost took a sample at Costco today and then i realized, whoops, no!

I haven't worked out yet and i am not sure if i am taking in enough liquid again. I think the toughest thing for me will be to ensure I work out 5x/week... I am too scared to go out alone at night... I need to dance around here or jump rope or something. I would get some apparatus but i live in a studio!

ANyway, rock on ladies!!

Last edited by serenityandsunshine; 09-03-2006 at 07:55 PM. Reason: error
Old 09-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #10  
Cute n' curvy.

The book doesn't say that you have to eat 2 cups per day of brown rice. It's just on the "allowed foods" list. I'm looking at it right now. I hate rice. As for not eating enough, I really can't be bothered with too much preparation. It has to be EXTREMELY easy to prepare (aka, taking it out of the fridge), or I can't be bothered. I absolutely cannot cook, have never used a stove before and I don't have patience to wait around for veggies to get grilled. It's good for some, but not for me. I haven't been hungry all day, so I think what I ate was enough so far.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #11  
Cute n' curvy.

Wow, that sounded so crabby!!! LOL ... I didn't mean it that way. I should have thrown in an "LOL" or something. Geez!!! Maybe I am moody today.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #12  
it's always something

It's ok It's kind of hard to communicate online sometimes when we don't have the benefit of tone of voice or body language to express ourselves

As far as I know, we are supposed to eat 2 cups of brown rice daily during Phase 1. After that, it's optional. The book is confusing because many things are not explained well. The brown rice is listed for the fiber, protein, and other nutrients, and helping the "detox".

It would also be very easy to eat an unhealthy and unbalanced diet if we just chose a few items from the list that we liked. It's my understanding that we are to eat everything on the list including the suggested amounts of milk, yogurt, oatmeal, rice, fruits, and veggies. I entered everything into FitDay and it came out as a well balanced diet with a reasonable amount of calories, protein, dairy, fiber, and nutrients.

I've found that it's easiest to prepare a batch of rice and portion it out 1 cup at a time in baggies and store in the fridge or freezer. I can pull it out and add it to whatever I'm cooking and have a meal in 10 or 15 minutes. I cook a lot of things in batches and make homemade frozen dinners

I'll email the author and ask for clarifcation Our publisher (who also published the Fat Smash Diet) told us that Dr. Smith visits our website, so we hope he won't mind answering a few questions for us
Old 09-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #13  
Cute n' curvy.

Thanks. I feel kinda bad because I fell off the wagon last night. I had a ham & cheese sandwich and a glass of chocolate milk. This morning I wanted to start again, so I took blackberries, yogurt and milk and made a smoothie. However, there was a freak blender accident because I've never used one before and let me tell you, I lost every drop. I unscrwed the cup from the base and guess what? I wasn't supposed to do that. My kitchen was covered in smoothie. I got so frustrated that I had a piece of sweet bread with butter and more chocolate milk.

I'm still going to try and follow it, but I have to have some meat. I got so sick last night from not having any that when I finally had the sandwich I fell asleep for 10 hours. Crazy! I think it's a little severe, but I guess that's the detox part of it. I'm happy to report I did not have any soda yesterday. That's the best part.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 AM   #14  
fitness seeker!

Question

OMG... is anyone else having gas from another world? Maybe it's because I chose to eat lots of beans and whatnot, but between the eggwhites and the beans, my tummy is not pleased. Any tips? Am I alone on this?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #15  
Cute n' curvy.

Yes, and I can't deal with it. I've gone astray. I was getting sick from it. I ended up getting so digusted with myself that I went a little overboard yesterday and pigged out on candy and ice cream. LOL! I think I feel a little better now.

I will say that I haven't had a drop of soda in two whole days. If that's all that comes out of this, then it was worth it. I'm hoping to have something healthy for lunch and dinner, but for breakfast today I had a bowl of cereal and a non-fat chocolate milk.