Old 07-14-2007, 09:56 PM   #1  
Rachel

S/C/G: 135/130/115

Height: 5' 5"

Default Exercise Bike

I just bought an exercise bike at a yard sale today, and I was wondering if it would be ok to just ride it about 30 minutes twice a day instead of power walking. I am not big on walking a lot so I was hoping all I would have to do would be ride the exercise bike and that would be ok. Does that sound okay? I will probably do some crunches too once I get home from work, but I wont be doing any walking.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 10:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239/232/145

Height: 5' 6''

I think any kind of aerobic activity will be okay as long as you get your heart rate up.
Janzie
Old 07-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #3  

the exercie bike should be fine...just do enough where you do get your heart rate up....at first it will seem hard...but try to push yourself safely and within your own means to a level where you are working up a sweat for at least 25 of those minutes....if at anytime you feel uncomfortable or dont feel right for ANY reason whatsoever....i would consider stopping and checking with your doctor to see what type of exercise will work for you....not everything works for everyone...thats important to understand...so dont get discouraged if the bike does not work for whatever reason....
Old 07-15-2007, 01:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 312/287/160

Do you burn more calories with riding the bike as opposed to walking? I was told that the bicycle works different muscles than walking. So maybe you should do both so that you shape your legs appropriately.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #5  
ms.extreme

S/C/G: 292/287/270

Height: 5'7

The bike is a good choice. You will burn lots of calories but be sure that you do it at a speed of 25mph or more. This way it will help you get in your target zone so you will burn fat and build muscles.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

The thing I like about having an Exercise Bike, is that you dont have to run in the rain, or even go outside when its miserable!

That and you can get in all of your exercise while sitting on your bum (pretty much true) and watching TV ( I like biking to CSI, I always notice that when things start to heat up in the show, I cycle faster! lol)
Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #7  

you know funny enough...i actually did the exercise bike a little while ago...30 minutes...15 minutes on setting 5 resistance (out of 20)...i made sure to keep my heart rate between 130-140....then after 15 minutes...i switched to resistance 7 for 10 minutes and made sure to keep my heart rate at or above 140....yet....i dont feel as if i worked out as much or even as tired from it....odd???...maybe i need to do double what i was doing at the track?