Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #106  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

March 23

Psalm 25:12
What man is he that feareth the Lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.

A group at the church decided to help one another lose weight. A friend of one of the members joined the weight-loss group, even though he wasn't a Christian. After four or five sessions, the young man left the group, saying, 'I thought we would help each other not eat. I didn't know you planned to pray and study the Bible. That junk won't help anyone.' As it turned out, the group was quite successful. The young man failed because he wouldn't entertain the idea that God could be any help. Those who believed in God trusted in Him, and they were rewarded.

Today's thought: God is my secret weapon for success!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 AM   #107  
Trying to live below 200

March 24

James 4:8
Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

The cake looked great. Jim waited as long as he could, then, when his wife left the room, he grabbed a small piece. Thinking he would stuff it quickly into his mouth before his wife returned, he turned quickly, and the cake fell from his hand. He reacted instinctively and snatched the falling cake. As his wife reentered, he tried to hide his cake-covered hand, but to no avail. He was caught, and there was no way to deny it. We need to stick to our diets and keep our hands clean of the foods we know we should avoid. Draw close to God and away from food. It's the best way.

Today's thought: If you cheat, you lose everything but weight!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #108  
Trying to live below 200

March 25

Exodus 33:14
And he said, 'My presence shall go with thee, and I will give thee rest.'

The most effective diets are those with planned 'cheating' in them. Just as the children of Israel set aside a day for fasting from their daily bread, Christian dieters should set aside a day to indulge in the foods they enjoy. This makes the dieter more thankful for the special treats, as well as making the diet much more tolerable. It gives us something to look forward to, and it erases guilt from the process. We all need rest, and we will find new strength and courage when we break our diet fast occasionally.

Today's thought: Even dieters deserve a day off.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #109  
Trying to live below 200

March 26

Deuteronomy 33:27
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee: and shall say, 'Destroy them.'

It's strange to think of food as 'the enemy,' but that's the best way to look at it if we want to be effective in our diets. Taking off the pounds is a battle. In every battle we need ammunition. As Christ-ians, our ammunition comes from the Spirit of God that dwells within us all the time. God becomes our fortress; our refuge against the assaults of fattening foods. If we think we can fight the battle alone, we will find it doesn't take long before we tire. At those times we will wish we had someone to take over. Thank the Lord that God is there, and He never tires of fighting alongside His children.

Today's thought: Dieting makes losers winners!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM   #110  
Trying to live below 200

March 27

Psalm 84:11
For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

I can remember a time when I was on the verge of tears because I was so hungry. I had fasted for almost five straight days, and some friends of mine walked in eating cheeseburgers. The smell assaulted my nose, and the sight of the burgers caused my stomach to clutch and growl. I look back on that incident now and realize that I could not have made it, if it hadn't been for the Lord. When I think of God as my shield, I think of all the times I feel like giving up because I'm too weak to fight. At those times I'm all the more thankful that I have God to rest upon.

Today's thought: When my stomach attacks, God will defend me!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 AM   #111  
Trying to live below 200

March 28

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us.

Jesus Christ arose from the dead, glorified and renewed. Before He could ascend to this glory, He had to suffer many things. Much in this life requires sacrifice and suffering before we can attain it. Ask any dieter. The road to thinness is a rugged one. Be-fore we can stand up trimmer and healthier, we must buck up and buckle down. There is very little that is pleasant about dieting, except the end result. Jesus Christ understands what it means to sacrifice better than we ever can. By our sufferings we draw closer to Christ. One day we will reign with Him.

Today's thought: The power of Christ lifts me above all suffering!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #112  
Trying to live below 200

March 29

Hebrews 13:6
So that we may boldly say, 'The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.'

In a prison camp, the people were starved for long periods of time. One man seemed unaffected by the treatment he received. While others complained about how hungry they were, this one man stood by silently. Finally, he was asked why he seemed to be doing so well while the others all suffered so. He replied, 'I will not let my captors get the better of me. No matter what they do, they will not wear me down. I am the Lord's, and no one else has any power over my life. Men may take away my food, but only God can truly sustain me.'

Today's thought: The need for bread is all in the head!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #113  
Trying to live below 200

March 30

1 Peter 3:13
And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?

Watch out! There are a lot of people who would take advantage of us, just because we are vulnerable. When we decide to lose weight, we find ourselves weak and looking for easy answers. Unscrupu-lous doctors, slick marketing gimmicks, and shyster con artists make promises and products purely for profit. They feed on poor people who want nothing more than the easiest way to take off pounds. Thank goodness we have a source of strength to resist such come-ons. God will protect us from running off after gimmicks and tricks. He is the true answer and the only way to succeed in everything we do.

Today's thought: No human plan or gimmick comes close to God's plan!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #114  
Trying to live below 200

March 31

Isaiah 55:12
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

Our God is a God with a plan for His creation. Everything was created for a reason. God created us in His image, and His plan for us is to live a full, joyful, creative existence. We can best do this by keeping ourselves fit and trim and healthy. God rejoices, as does all His creation, when we live up to the potential He created in each one of us. When we succeed in our dieting attempts, we take a step toward fulfilling our purpose in life, and we go forth in joy and peace which passes any earthly joy or peace. Praise the Lord.

Today's thought: Thank you, Lord, for bringing me this far!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #115  
Trying to live below 200

April 1

James 1:4
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were a magic wand that we could wave, and suddenly the pounds would melt from our flesh and we would be the perfect weight? I know of no one who would choose the rigors and demands of a diet over a magic wand. Unfortunately, there are no magic wands, and the only way we can lose weight is to set ourselves to the task-body, mind, and spirit. We need to ask God's help, that we might remain committed to the task no matter how long it takes. When we call on the Lord, He will grant us the patience we so badly need.

Today's thought: The longer the wait, the less the weight!
Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #116  
Trying to live below 200

April 2

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

It seemed like forever before any weight came off. Gerri had cut way back on her food intake and exercised daily. It had been frustrating to step up on the scales day after day to find no real change. She stuck with the diet despite her despair, and now four weeks into the program it was paying off. People were beginning to notice the difference in her. What had seemed so painfully slow, one pound every few days, had finally added up, and she was thrilled. Waiting a little while had paid off, waiting a little more didn't seem nearly as hard.

Today's thought: I can take this diet one day at a time!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #117  
Trying to live below 200

April 3

Ecclesiastes 3:1
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

There are times in our lives when a diet may be easier than at other times. In times of stress or tragedy, it may be impossible for us to lose weight. Diets take concentration and commitment. Things may come up to cause us to fall away from our diets, but we need to get started again as soon as possible. Just because we fail once doesn't mean we will fail every time. Pray for God's help and guidance. He will be faithful to help us through the tough times and the times we fail. God will make our way easier through His companionship and comfort.

Today's thought: There is no better time to diet than right now!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #118  
Trying to live below 200

April 4

Psalm 37:7
Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Is there anything worse than skinny people who act as if dieting were no big deal? It is so difficult to hear others criticize our efforts when they have absolutely no idea what we are going through. However, we need to understand that the comments of those who don't understand us really shouldn't affect us. The Lord loves us as we are, and He truly does understand the struggles we grapple with. He has compassion on His children, and He will deal with those who are cruel or unthinking in their dealings with us. Listen to the Lord, not to others who don't know us nearly as well.

Today's thought: Beware skinny people with fat mouths!
Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #119  
Trying to live below 200

April 5

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Leah was still terribly overweight. She had tried dozens of diets, none of which had made an impact. She attended church regularly, and she prayed continually for God to help her with her problem. She realized that she wasn't ready deep down inside, so she often ignored the voice of her conscience and the comfort of her prayers. Leah lived from day to day asking God's forgiveness and resolving to try harder in the future. She told her friends, 'When I'm ready, I know God will be there, and I know He will help me lose all the weight I need to.'

Today's thought: Lord, make me ready to lose weight!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #120  
Trying to live below 200

April 6

Psalm 40:1
I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

Leah was not the kind of woman to just make excuses. When she said that God would help her when she was ready to let Him, she wasn't just copping out. A day came when Leah really needed and wanted to lose weight, and she did it. Though it was hard, Leah stuck to her diet, and she gave most of the credit to God. She had lived for years wishing that she could be thin. Only after trying and failing many times was she able to succeed. Waiting on the Lord can be tiring and defeating. However, no one knows us like God does, and if we can wait, He will always do what is best for us.

Today's thought: Our best effort will always include God.