Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 177/142.6/134

Height: 5'5

Going out to lunch with friends. Plan on eating slowly and leaving something on my plate.
tyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

I'm thrilled to see this thread! I hope you don't mind me joining. For Lent I gave up sweet treats. No cake, cookies, candy, pie, etc. I do have fruit every day and this is my dessert. So far so good but admittedly that there are moments where I struggle and fight mightily to overcome indulging. I have to remind myself that these are things I don't need, have never needed, to be healthy and survive and that they will be there waiting once Lent is over. I, too, like to redirect this energy into other things such as exercise, or completing long over-due tasks.

Good luck to everyone!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #18  

Welcome, curvynotlumpy! So glad you could join us. I think it's so great that you are giving up sweets, and having fruit for dessert. I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

I did well yesterday at lunch. Ate slowly and left food on plate as planned.

Let's stay stong together.

Last edited by tyla; 02-25-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #19  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone, don't mind if I jump in!

For Lent I'm not giving up anything food related, but instead my best friend inspired me and I'm giving up cursing (truth be told I have a mouth that would make a sailor blush). I'm hoping that if I get used to not swearing then when Lent is over I'll be re-conditioned to not use those words to express myself.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #20  

Welcome, Miss Krissy! Wow, that's a great one!! Congrats to you and your friend for coming up with a creative idea, and becoming a better person. Kudos to you! And great job with your weight loss!

It's almost 2 weeks already, and I see a healthy improvement in myself!

Let's keep it up!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyla View Post
Welcome, curvynotlumpy! So glad you could join us. I think it's so great that you are giving up sweets, and having fruit for dessert. I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

Let's stay strong together.
Thanks for your warm welcome, Tyla! I didn't see Dr. Oz's show but I know from experience that sugar is in SO MANY things and in some of the least likely places for sure. Awhile ago I found a can of stewed tomatoes in my pantry and it contained high-fructose corn syrup. STEWED TOMATOES!! I'm the first to admit that I enjoy dessert and sweet treats, so I'm not at all getting on a soap box about the sugar free life; that's a personal choice that someone makes. However, there are just some things you don't suspect (at least for me) having any sugar in them, such as stewed tomatoes. Oy!

At any rate, so far so good. The biggest struggle has been the weekly Lenten soup suppers my church hosts on Wednesday evenings. Amongst my little group of friends I have become the dessert bringer. I probably should have given up my title but I enjoy baking and I enjoy contributing to the group. As long as I have my piece of fruit I'm good and even without it I'd still be fine and the beneficiary of good company and wonderful conversation.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #22  

curvynotlumpy, congratulations for being strong through this period. Kudos to you for not eating dessert, when you are the one that bakes it and brings it. That is pretty fantastic!! I've been to meetings, where people eat dessert and I don't, but I don't have to bake it!!!!

By the way, I've been pretty disciplined, too. No inbetween meals and no sugary junk food.

Let's stay strong together.

Last edited by tyla; 02-26-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #23  

Tyla, that's great So many of us are probably shaking our heads in agreement at your comment about in between meals eating. That's an easy trap to fall into. Has that been difficult for you, or do you find as the days move along it gets easier? I work on a university campus in a Student Affairs unit with lots of talented bakers and there is no shortage of snacky things hanging around Sometimes I feel like it's a food minefield!

Sounds like everyone is doing great! Let's keep it up!
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #24  

Curvynotlumpy, thanks for your comment about me giving up in between meal snacks. No, it's not easy. I have to distract myself costantly, with something else to do when I get the urge. Some of my tricks: take a break, make hot tea, put a sugar free mint in my mouth, post here and definitely get away from the food area. I try to do anything I can to resist. It's been about 16 days now. (I started this adventure a few days before Lent.)

Keep up the great work of resisting temptation! Let's keep strong together.

Last edited by tyla; 02-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #25  

I feel really great about giving up sugar. I've read more articles and heard on Dr. OZ how bad it is for you. Trying to eat more like the Mediterranean Way.

Last edited by tyla; 02-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #26  

Quote:
I feel really great about giving up sugar. I've read more articles and heard on Dr. OZ how bad it is for you. Trying to eat more like the Mediterranean Way.
That's so interesting! I heard a story very recently on NPR about the Mediterranean Way and its advantages. One of the interviewees made the comment that lots of people "think" they know what the Mediterranean Way is, but it's actually different than people's perceptions. Admittedly, I was listening to this as I was falling asleep for the night so I can't really tell you about the whole conversation
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #27  

curvynotlumpy, what I've heard about the Mediaterranean Way of eating is that you don't eat sugar or a lot of processed foods. The plan is to eat more chicken, fish, and occasionally, red meat - like a steak, not hamburger. You eat more fruits, vegetables and nuts. Also, you have olive oil - but I have to get used to that one. I still use butter spray or olive oil spray. (Probably not good.)

Congrats to you for doing so well. Keep up the good work. HooRay for all of us here!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 295/274/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
I know it's hard sometimes, because I'm going through the same thing! But we're doing it, and getting healthier for it. Did you see Dr. Oz's show yesterday? They were saying that sugar makes us fat, more than anything.

Let's stay stong together.
I believe it about the Sugar Cut it out is the key
KittieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 295/274/190

Height: 5' 10"

Hi tyla, curvynotlumpy and Missy Krissy it's great to see you posting on this thread and good luck with all your Lent choices
KittieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #30  
Plant Powered!

S/C/G: 205/168.5/165

Height: 6'0"

I know I'm a few weeks late, but I hope you all don't mind if I jump in! All of your Lenten choices sound fantastic, especially the sugar cut out and the swearing (two of my biggest vices). This year I chose to opt for a fruit and vegetable fast for Lent (I am allowing a scoop of whey protein powder in my morning smoothie, for health reasons). Thus far, it has gone very well. It has really kicked my focus from what I am going to eat next over to more healthy and spiritual thoughts.
EmLay is offline   Reply With Quote