Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bren, I have a son who is diabetic . also. I promised him I wouldn't nag him about his diet but he is not taking care of himself. Please pray for him.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #62  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI EVERYONE ~ We had some bad storms here on Friday & Saturday; my internet got knocked off just after 9 PM Friday night, so no internet for me all weekend. I spent the time doing garden stuff and a lot of reading, devotionals, and praying ...

PRAYERS NEEDED ~ Late Friday afternoon, a plain crashed at our local airport becuz of the strong winds. The pilot and one passenger were killed and one other passenger was injured. I am going to put a prayer request for them all. I don't know the name of the deceased pilot as he was a fill-in from a neighbouring city, but the other deceased man was Glen Higgs, so have been praying for his family. Plus the critical man is one of our town counsellors, Bob Hutchison -- also praying for his wife, Kathy, and the rest of the family too. I will update as I find out more myself. Thanks, partners.

UPDATE: the fourth man was not on the plane, becuz he chose to take a later flight; thank GOD, he did. BOB has a broken leg and ribs, but they are just keeping him for observation now (to make sure there are no internal injuries).

BLONDEE ~ sending up ^prayers^ for your mother concerning her health and well-being (physical and spiritual). Sounds like she could use some "home-care" help a few times a week or so (they can make meals and put them in the fridge to be heated in the microwave or eaten as is).

Prayers that your health numbers improve to where they should be. I always thought one was supposed to be high, and cholesterol should be down, but I may be mistaken about that. If you want more emoticons, just press the [More] link just below the emoticons on the right side of the reply box. A bigger list will come up and you just click on the ones you want to use.

BARGOO ~ ^prayers^ going up for your son regarding his diabetes and health issues too.

LILY ~ congrats on the NSV; and the success you are having with your plan ...

We have really cold temps here again (52 F and lower at night); we had this AM but it has stopped. It is supposed to drop below freezing during the night for the rest of the week. DH joked that we'll have to cuddle a bit more to keep warm ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-28-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #63  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Bargoo, I will!
I've done the same with Mom...said I wouldn't nag...but also told her I nag because I love her and want her with me as long as I can have her. It's so hard to see our loved ones in trouble and know we can't "fix it"..

Thanks Rosebud...I'll add that need to my prayer list as well. There are so many in need of a touch from God...comfort in loss, healing, strength, wisdom, salvation, provision...Oh I wish I had your 52! We were at 97 today and in need of some rain too.
I talked to Mom a bit ago and she was awake, alert and had a MW meal earlier. I was so thankful ...and I know God hears and answers our prayers. She sounded better...more like herself. I need to apply what I "know" to my own program of recovery, too. I'll be 60 in December and I want the rest of my days to be healthier ones...

PS: I will talk to her again...about the home care situation. To this point she's refused, as she doesn't want anyone in her place, in her things etc. She falls too often and the other day scooted from the bedroom to the front door and yelled for help.I will be praying for the right way to approach it...and her willingness to hear.

Hugs to you and yours...
Be blessed!

Last edited by Blondee51; 05-28-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Blondee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #64  
Rosebud

Well, the temps went up to 62 F yesterday with a sprinkle of here and there. Today, it is damp, chilly, and much cooler -- only in the 40's F, but they say we may get up into the 50's by this afternoon. It is supposed to be seasonably warmer as the week goes by; that would be nice for sure.

DH and I hauled out our summer linens and such. I change them from winter to summer every year. We put the heavier comforters & blankets away, and bring out the light & bright bedspread set and blankets for the summer. It's a nice change too.

We got our front garden beds all prepared for this year; added a new sand/black earth mix and some compost to give them a good boost. I plan to plant some onions sets, some leaf lettuce, and radishes for salads this week; then later on, plant some green beans when the threat of frost is past.

We also set up our half rain barrels on the south side of the house, in between our peony flower plants; and filled the bottoms with sand & gravel. Then we'll put some topsoil in them later on. Not sure what to plant in them yet, maybe some petunias and beans, or something like that -- we'll see ...

So we now know that we have 3 bunches of light pink peony flowers on the south side; and two hot pink peony bushes in the front. I finally found out what the flowering bush in the front is, with the pretty light pink flowers and red berries that the birds love -- it is called a HONEYSUCKLE BUSH. I did some research on the net and found it on there.

Plus, we also have a Hydrangea bush in the front yard as well. It has 3 small lime green flower balls on it right now, but my research says they should get bigger and turn white later on, like the Snowball ones do. I transplanted my Sandcherry bush when we moved here last year; and put it right beside the Hydrangea bush becuz I didn't know where else to put it. Thank goodness, it made it through the winter with no damage; and it has the loveliest little pink flowers on it. It is supposed to get some dark blue berries on it later on as well (kind of like elderberries).

I also bought some cherry tomato plants for salads; plus some raspberry and gooseberry bushes, which will start our mini-fruit orchard in the back yard. Later on, I would like to add in another kind of berry to round them out (like blueberries, honeyberries, elderberries, or maybe even blackberries). We already have a nice, big rhubarb patch.

My eating has been good this week; I had struggled a bit last week, but thankfully not too badly. Every now and then I go through a week, where I just feel hungrier than usual. So I have been having porridge for breakfast EOD, and just making heartier meals all round, but still staying OP and within my calorie limits too.

Have a great day everyone ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-30-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #65  
Quit counting at 45!

Rosebud: We had a honeysuckle bush in our yard when I was a child. I loved that bush. It can get woody if you don't prune out the dead wood but it's really lovely. We would eat the centre of the flowers as children - really sweet.

I also have hydrangea bushes in my yard now and they are so lovely. The blooms start out small and green and are really large and white in the summer. Then when the frost hits they turn a lovely brown. I have dried the blooms - beautiful!

I also planted a gooseberry bush in my yard this spring as well as a rhubarb plant. I can't wait to harvest them and do some baking!

That's so tragic about that plane crash. I'll be praying for the families.

Blondee: It's really hard when those you love don't take care of themselves. Hopefully she looks at your advice not as nagging but that you love her and want her around for a long time. Prayers for you.

Bargoo: Prayers for you and your son also.

I've done not too badly with my eating this week. I have done something to my foot so I can't walk long distances right now so that's frustrating now that the sun is finally shining around here. I hope to get it looked at so that I can get moving again.
wilma12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #66  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

OH! The talk of gardening, flowers...makes me long for dirt to play in. Now days tho, I'd have to call for help to get up if I got down in it. I've lived here in the apartment complex since coming home in 1996, so dirt to play in isn't available. The hydrangeas are my favorites...tho at my place in Alabama I had a snowball bush and planted a hydrangea that my friend gave me when it was a dormant twig...It was bushed out beautifully, with leaves when I left there.

Answer to prayer: Mom was willing for home care to come! She fell again three times yesterday morning and had to call for help again. The nurse brought her a spiffy new walker when she came yesterday, since Mom fell on hers and bent it.
She's still not eating or drinking...a half sandwich yesterday...sleeping almost all day and getting weaker. She did say last night that she'd ask her neghbor to cook the pizza she has in the freezer and split it with her today. She also agreed to have a glass of milk before bed.
The nurse will be back tomorrow and is bringing a therapist with her...

I told her I'd do a kitchen inventory when I come over, and put a simple meal plan together for her...and take those Boost shakes I got for her. She needs the high calorie ones

I had to rehang shower curtains this morning. The rod and all fell yesterday...after my shower and I prayed for strength and stability...to get on the stool to rehang 'em. I confessed my "fear"...as my feet are still shaky...but I remember that "the Lord shall be my confidence and keep my foot from slipping:...Proverbs 3:26...

I'm gonna run and get ready for work. I'm praying the computer guy can come today and get my printer going as I am lost without it. We had a serious glitch and I don't think it was all storm related! I got all but the printer going and it says printer spooler problems etc. Boo!

Be blessed today all...best where most needed...
Bren

Last edited by Blondee51; 06-01-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondee51 View Post
OH! The talk of gardening, flowers...makes me long for dirt to play in. Now days tho, I'd have to call for help to get up if I got down in it. I've lived here in the apartment complex since coming home in 1996, so dirt to play in isn't available. The hydrangeas are my favorites...tho at my place in Alabams I had a snowball bush and planted a hydrangea that my friend gave me when it was a dormant twig...It was bushed out beautifully, with leaves when I left there.

Answer to prayer: Mom was willing for home care to come! She fell again three times yesterday morning and had to call for help again. The nurse brought her a spiffy new walker when she came yesterday, since Mom fell on hers and bent it.
She's still not eating or drinking...a half sandwich yesterday...sleeping almost all day and getting weaker. She did say last night that she'd ask her neghbor to cook the pizza she has in the freezer and split it with her today. She also agreed to have a glass of milk before bed.
The nurse will be back tomorrow and is bringing a therapist with her...

I told her I'd do a kitchen inventory when I come over, and put a simple meal plan together for her...and take those Boost shakes I got for her. She needs the high calorie ones

I had to rehang shower curtains this morning. The rod and all fell yesterday...after my shower and I prayed for strength and stability...to get on the stool to rehang 'em. I confessed my "fear"...as my feet are still shaky...but I reeber that "the Lord shall be my confidence and keep my foot from slipping:...Proverbs 3:26...

I'm gonna run and get ready for work. I'm praying the computer guy can come today and get my printer going as I am lost without it. We had a serious glitch and I don't think it was all storm related! I got all but the printer going and it says printer spooler problems etc. Boo!

Be blessed today all...best where most needed...
Bren
Thanks for the scripture, I have a problem falliing, too, I have been reciting rhe words to a sing we sometimes sing at church"Guide My Feet."
I recently had a printer problem, since it was out of warranty Dell wanted $29 just to look at it and tell me what was wrong, I was pretty sure it was mechanical and not software related. Walmart had a printer for $29 , the same price that Dell wanted just to look. I didn't get that one as it didn't have a copier, but I did get an HP all in one for not much more than that.
For your Mom's Boost try putting it in a blender with a banana or some berries for some additional vitamins.Does she like cereal ? Cream of Wheat has a new flavor out called Cinnabon, maybe she would like something like that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #68  
Rosebud

BREN ~ Oh, I don't get down and play in the dirt; my injured knees could never take that. All our beds are raised up off the ground. I'll show you a picture of the front ones so you can see. They are about 18" off the ground in raised brick beds. The half barrels are about 2 feet high; that's why I like them so much.

I also say prayers based on scriptures for my feet and walking too ... "He makes my feet like hind's feet; and sets me upon high places." Psalm 18:33

And ... "Thou has enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip." Psalm 18:36.

Plus, "Then thou shall walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble. Proverbs 3:23.

I'm glad that your mother has agreed to the homecare & therapy. There are so many ways you can help her get more nutrition in; those HC drinks are a good idea (and so is the one BARGOO suggested to get in some fruit & fiber too).

Here's a picture of the front of our house; the orange lilies in the front beds; and the hot pink peony bushes in the front too. The Hydrangea is the one in the front yard with bricks around the base; and the Honeysuckle is the large one on the right of the porch.

summerview3.JPG flower beds 5.JPGmy peonies 4.JPG

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #69  
Rosebud

I had to go and help DH with something earlier: the new basket I bought him for his bike fell off (too many bumps in the road is my guess), so we wired it back on for double security (I just hope it stays on for him). This AM, I also helped him put up my hanging planter, fix the shed door, and put up our large thermometer on the back porch.

BARGOO ~ I'm glad that you found a new HP printer for such a good price. I don't use a printer that much myself; although I do have one that my sister (NUMPSTER) gave me.

WILMA ~ Yes, that Honeysuckle bush is quite large, so we trimmed some of those dead branches and some other straggly ones that were reaching too far onto the neighbours yard last fall and a few more this spring to tidy it up a bit too. I can't wait to see those snowballs when they get bigger and whiter.

The weather is much nicer today; just about 70 F here with up to about 4 pm. It's clouding over a bit right now but still warm out. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ...
Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #70  
1 Day, 1 Choice @ a time

Hello all...
Oh more great scriptures..I will make a note of them. Thanks! For the tips...and prayers too. All are appreciated. You all are a blessing.
I have Ps. 119:133 on my door..."Direct my steps according to your word and let no iniquity have dominion over me"...I need that one when I am about to eat too!

I love the pics of your beautiful flower beds, Rosebud! I've been known to print pictures online, laminate them and use them for bookmarks, of such lovely things!
Printers: I have one of the $29.00 HP's from Wal-Mart and love it...ink doesn't last long but I keep extra on hand. I use mine a LOT...My LexMark finally bit the dust last year...with a NEW cartridge in it too...

I made a run to Mom's after work last night and am glad I did. I got to clean a bit for her, set up her snack try, put shakes in the fridge and she was up to eating some dinner and watching wrestling and that was good. She said she had two pieces of pizza yesterday, and then her dinner...I read an article at caring.com that I found comforting, and will trust that God has us in His care each day...no matter what my "feelings" might say.

I'm going to finish mail and get ready for work. Have a blessed day all. You will be in my thoughts and prayers...and I'm glad I found my way back here!

Last edited by Blondee51; 06-01-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #71  
Rosebud

Here's something that made me chuckle; this is my life these days. Just over fifty (53 y/y) and it fits so well. I was just telling my family that I have been dreaming about putting a recliner in our bathroom ...

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/6dbBfXCMbH4?rel=0

Oh, I just realized that we are now into the month of June; so I am going to start the new June thread and will put this Youtube in there too. See you there ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.