Old 02-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #1  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Default Pesach Week - Meals

Do you have any recipes your family loves?
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #2  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Matzah pizza !
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, our family has many favorites that I try to make a bit healthier by buying the leanest meat I can afford (xtra-lean ground; lean roasts; center cut chops; whole chicken or breasts; etc). My family has a favorite meatloaf that uses tomato soup (1/2 in mix and 1/2 on top); Shepherd's Pie; Meaty pasta sauce with lots of veggies OR Mini-Meatballs to go with whole grain spagettini; Creamy Mac: ground lean burger with onions & veggies with elbow macaroni mixed in a cream of mushroom sauce; Creole Patties or Exeter Stew (2 oz homemade hamburger patties surrounded with chopped onions & canned tomatoes & knib corn; served with green beans & coleslaw); Chicken Stew & homemade wg biscuits; Lean Roast beef or pork with loads of chunky veggies & new potatoes with skins; same for whole roasted Chicken or Turkey with veggies (like sweet potatoes, etc); deli spit BBQ Whole Chicken & salad; baked Fish & Chips (sweet potato fries for me) with salads; Pita Pizzas (toppings of choice); Blue Menu Lean Burgers & salad; Hamburger Steak & Onions with new potatoes with sliced tomatoes & salad; Pork Chops & Onions in Cream of Mushroom Sauce; Seasoned or BBQ Steak or Pork Steaks of choice with onions & mushrooms in broth & a bit of butter with salad; poached fish (salmon, sole, haddock, cod) with brown rice & veggies; and BBQ Chicken & Country Ribs (mom used to use wings, but we changed to leaner & meatier pieces instead).

Those are the ones we eat the most often, but there are others like Ham & Potato Scallop; baked Chicken Pieces in BBQ Sauce; Lasagna; Meat Pie and veggies; Hamburger Hash with gravy & veggies, etc -- that we may have occasionally. These are very standard type of meals that our whole family loves; I always make a lot of veggies and/or a salad to go with most of these meals too.

EDIT TO ADD ~ sorry, I just realized that you mentioned a specific week; I am not Jewish, so I don't know if these would fit or not, but some might.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-25-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

matzah pizza eh? i can't eat cheese right now but the husband is still eating dairy.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'd love to see more ideas and suggestions for Pesach-on-a-diet before the holiday rolls around this year! I normally have a very difficult time with meals during Passover as it is as I generally eat plenty of carbs, and this year is going to be extra challenging it seems with my focus on keeping calories low. My typical crutches for the week like brisket and potatoes (and the matzah pizza from our favorite pizza place) don't really fit into my current eating plan, and many of the foods I've come to rely on in my weight loss efforts aren't appropriate for Passover!

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or experience doing Pesach on a diet? I'm going to be trying to come up with some ideas over the next few weeks, and whatever I can think of I will post here.

Edit: I just read a webpage that indicates that quinoa, if certified kosher and not processed with any chametz grains, is ok for passover. This page (http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/Quinoa/) specifies that Ancient Harvest and Trader Joes brands are ok (or at least were last year). It would be great to be able to eat quinoa during pesach!!

This page (http://judaism.about.com/b/2010/03/2...pesach.htm#gB3) has some links to some quinoa recipes. Though, as a commenter noted, not all the ingredients in the recipes are KP, so adjust as necessary.

Last edited by chickadee32; 03-13-2011 at 05:57 PM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #6  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I'm going to have to watch this thread; hope to see some good recipes.

We're mizrachim, so we eat kitniyot (legumes), and that makes it a little easier, but it's so hard to resist all the carb-heavy Passover foods. I'm going to focus on lots of fruits, veggies, legumes, and fish, and I'm going to limit the amount of matzah and matzah balls.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/165/145

Height: 5'2"

It is going to be difficult, especially since I am on Ideal Protein, and especially since I am the one who cooks. My plan is to make my usually carb laden and fat laden foods for the Seder nights, partake of them sparingly during the seder, and give the leftovers away to my guests. I will drink wine, eat matzah and charoset for the seders, but there is no reason for me to do so during Chol HaMoed. During the week, I plan on eating my proteins, salads and vegetables and when I am done, I will still be on Phase 1. I may have to eat kitniyot during the week because of the protein packets. It will be hard, though, since Passover is my FAVORITE food holiday!
CatinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #8  

Hi, I am new here. We love Matzah lasagna. We usually make a dairy version, but I guess you could do a meat version if you can't have cheese. We just saute fresh tomatos, onion, and spinach. Coat matzah with egg and make layers like in a real lasagna. Then bake at 350 for half an hour. I spinkle mozarella on top of the veggies and on the top matzah.
bullymom2 is offline   Reply With Quote