Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default If you're a Christian, can certain foods be idols?

There are foods I don't like: green olives, artichokes, beets.
There are foods I like so-so: salmon, oatmeal, protein shakes
There are foods I enjoy: lean meats, fruits, veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt
There are foods I like that occasionally eat too much of: nuts, bread, cereal, crackers

And then there are foods that carry an emotional charge. They are foods I love, foods that bring me comfort and joy and stress relief (at least temporarily). Foods that once I start eating them I almost always eat too much of

Foods like: chips, fried foods, butter, desserts, candy, donuts, fast food

These foods are more than just food to me. I have an emotional, and yes, I'll say it, spiritual connection with these foods. I will also confess that I turn to them sometimes instead of turning to God.

I think these foods are idols.

What do you think? Can foods be idols?

And if so, how can I justify eating them? And how will I ever be able to give them up? If you asked me to give up chicken, it would be majorly inconvenient, but I could do it, it wouldn't be emotionally difficult to give up chicken. But if you asked me to give up ice cream? I think I'm starting to shake a little just typing those words. And if they're that important, how can I justify eating them?

Do you have foods that are emotionally charged?

Do you eat them?

How often?

How do you feel about eating them?

Last edited by thinpossible; 04-15-2009 at 11:50 AM.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

OK. Saint Paul giving the Corinthians a lesson or two:
Their great cry was 'Panta moi exestin' i.e. 'All things are permitted to me'. That was because they had learned that food offered to idols is still just food; given that idols are lumps of wood/stone/whatever and not the living God, it doesn't matter what you offer to them, they can't taint it. Saint Peter and the tablecloth let down from heaven proved that.

However, the Corinthians would get really carried away with this new learning, and disregarded the effect they were having on people who were still on the fringe of Christianity or even farther away. Paul told them that sure, no food is dirty, no food is impure - but if you eating it puts other people's faith at risk, then however non-harmful the food is in itself, you shouldn't eat it; you should be aware of the sensitivities of others.

So what I'm saying - eventually! - is that although no food is of itself idolatrous, if eating it is causing you to stumble, then yes, you should stay away from it. It's as though you were both a Corinthian Christian and someone on the fringe: if doing what you know is innocent in itself makes you waver, resist. And yes, I know that's easier said than done!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I totally get what you are saying, thank you Ailidh for your response, it one of my Favorites. I love studying how life is supposed to be after Christ, and I thank God for grace.

God never wants us to put anything in front of him, that includes relationships, money, things and yes even food. Satan wants you turning to food for comfort, not God, God wants you to turn to him. Remember Comforter is just on many names for God. So maybe the next time you are about to out something in your mouth, try to reflect on why, maybe talk to God about and if you already have eaten, ten realized it was because you were seeking comfort, still, talk to him about it but don't feel guilty. Guilt is from satan, conviction is from God and I know for me, conviction happens before I mess up so I have a better chance at making the right choice, doesn't always happen though....lol That's were the forgiveness comes in. Tell God you are sorry for turning to food instead of Him and that you want to seek Him first but that you need some help, He will be gald to

Remember, God gave us food for nourishment and pleasure, but Satan wants nothing more than to use it against us.

hope you don't think I'm nuts...lol God and I have had discussions about food before.

Last edited by willow650; 04-15-2009 at 12:32 PM.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't feel any emotional attachment to food at all; to me, food is just food. I do like the taste of it and enjoy eating it, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The bible clearly states that GOD created enjoyable things and beautiful things and food for our pleasure.

I have NEVER put food before GOD!!! I think SATAN uses food as way to make us feel bad though; as a way to put us down, and fill us with guilt ... and some people (like the Romans) use to eat food as an activity in itself (warning: gross graphic language ahead).

They would prepare massive feasts of food, then spend days eating and drinking in excess, and not only that ... they had huge spitoons (now adays used for other purposes equally gross) situated behind curtains; and they would go there and regurgitate the food up; wash up and return for another fill. I believe this is just one of the things that Paul was referring to; as well as eating feasts for the Lord's supper, which was suppose to be a holy event.

Each person is different; and each person will interpet these things for themselves. Today, we live in a society of abundance and I saw a verse once in the old testament that said something like this, "their abundance of food became a snare to them." That was answered prayer for me as I had asked GOD about this issue just before finding it by accident (really the Holy Spirit likely made it stand out for me as an answer to my queries).

So ... I feel we are giving food just way too much power; many of us never learned to eat in moderation (another thing Paul talked about: let your moderation be known to all men). I know we were extremely poor as children and didn't have access to the abundance we have today; when we did, we were like kiddies in a candy store and ate too much until one day my mother and my doctor explained to us that this wasn't healthy for us.

Moreover, our human nature (sinful and flawed nature) tends to want to do things in excess sometimes (ie alcohol, food, etc); I have prayed about the gift that the Holy Spirit offers us, which is the gift of DISCIPLINE. I am working on that one right now. I am trying to teach myself techniques to limit the foods that tend to get us to munch (for me, that's salty & crunchy ones and cookies). I don't have cookies now becuz of this, until I learn how to eat them in moderation; and if that doesn't happen, I will not buy them. I now look for single servings of these things and will have them now and then only.

Sorry, I don't mean to ramble, but for me -- I think DEPRIVATION (dieting)had something to do with this. We never had these things when we were younger and now that we do, we have to learn how to eat them in moderation or skip them altogether. I am learning to enjoy healthier foods; and I also buy healthier foods now too. For me, this is a learning process. The DIETING I did in the past was too restrictive, now I am using a much more balanced and healthy eating plan. I now allow myself some treats, in moderation, and in small quantities ... yes, it's a process!

To answer your question about food as an idol -- I think that some foods have an addictive quality and I think it's the excesssive SUGAR & SALT in them that is causing this, not any emotional attachments. I think this is a totally physical reaction by our bodies; and it is noticeable that this runs in my family; which shows a heredity element to the problem. I have heard doctors say that the excess salt & sugar & fats are added to make them addictive so that you will want more ... it's marketing food science!

My husband can eat anything, and I mean anything; and has no issues with food. He doesn't analyse what he eats; he just eats whatever he wants, when he is hungry, but he eats often and in small amounts. On occasion, there are some things he too will eat too many of (like chocolate balls and sticks, and baked goodies); but because he has a fast metabolism and is very active, he burns it off ...

When someone brings up something upsetting to me and I am eating; I now will put it down and go away until it has passed. I believe that is what I call mindless, stress-eating; and this was taught to me as a coping mechanism by my mother who did the same. I am now more conscious of this than ever before and now I can take measures to stop it -- plus like WILLOW, I also believe in the GIFT OF GRACE!

Again, sorry for rambling ... I hope there's some food for thought here!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
I don't feel any emotional attachment to food at all; to me, food is just food.
wow, I wish didn't. Im a work in progress though
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Some people have emotional ties to food....often stem from emotional baggage in the past. You can ask God to break the chains that hold you in bondage to those particular food items.

I do beleive that some people have idolocy towards some foods, again we just have to pray for those chains to be broken.

A new song I absolutley love, that is really helping me with these issues (by Leeland--listen to it on youtube!)
You've stolen my heart, yes you have
You've stolen my heart, yes you have
Youve wiped away the stain, broke away the chains, yes you have

He wants to break those chains, to break the barriers that come between us and Him, we have so many, they are like layers of an onion. Once we remove one or two we realize how many more we need to get rid of.
1.. Recognize these are placed there by the enemy,
2..Cast the enemy out of your life
3. Ask the Lord for blessings to fill the gap

Something like this....

Lord, I know that these food issues are just keeping a wedge between you and I, and I know they are plaved there from the enemy because the better relationship I have with you the more I can do your work. I demand that the enemy step out of this area of my life, he has no place here.
Lord I ask that you fill this hole with your promises and blessings. Jesus please speak to me, tell me the truths about me, speak blessings to me.......
(then be still, be quiet, and listen for him)

I go through this MANY times, (food issues, insecurities, fear, etc) it is such a blessing to me
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I understand what you're saying, and I don't think there's an easy answer. I think that anything in our life can become a distraction, a barrier between us and God. The point at which it is easier to avoid the temptation than to keep it in it's proper place, is a completely personal decision.

One of the reasons I try to choose a low carb lifestyle, is because I find it very difficult to use moderation with high-carb foods. The hunger becomes very destracting. I don't always succeed, and I sometimes choose foods that I probably shouldn't have. I believe that carbohydrates do have a very addiction-like effect on some people (and I am one of them).

Only you can answer how much ice cream stands in the way of your relationship with God. If it's an obstacle that you can step around with a little more vigilance, then I don't think God would mind if you had ice cream once in a while. However, if you would choose ice cream OVER God everytime, then maybe you should get it out of your life for a while and see if that helps you live a more balanced life.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

Thanks for all the great insight. I did try to give up sugar before, I only made it about 4 months. I guess I'm just trying to figure out how to deal with it and if/how they can fit in to my plans.

The sad thing is that if I'm feeling emotionally ok, I don't have any desire for that stuff. I know it's strictly a God substitute.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

THINPOSSIBLE you came here and received great advice! This does not surprise me!

I don't have much to add but I would like to throw my $.02 in the mix. I think if you think food is an idol then it is...for you.

Our good Lord has supplied our earth with many good things to eat. We, as people, have abused our resources because of our sins.

Now many Christians and others believe we shouldn't eat meat...I don't think God would argue with that...

Many think it is OK...again, I don't think God would argue with that either.

Many say sugar is a bad thing...it could be...

Sugar substitutes bad for you too...could be...

We all make our choices on how we want to eat and how we want to represent our relationship with Christ.

But seriously, our relationship with Christ is a personal thing. When we have a personal relationship with Him we can know and begin to understand that HE only wants good things to happen for us.

Sugar is a good thing!...too much is a bad thing...

Fried food....alcohol....crappy food in excess is certainly bad for you...

We all know these things.

What Christ wants us to do is to #1 Focus on Him and #2 Do good things for ourselves and others

Doing these simple things makes us complete with Him.

I wouldn't worry so much on whether or not certain foods were an idol for you but more on whether or not it was something you should be putting into your body for your own health.

At the same time I think maybe finding some activity that would help you focus on Him for a period of time....Bible study....going to church....Sunday school....volunteer work...etc. may help you forgo some of that "idol worship"

You will be fine! Eat sensibly...focus on His gift...HAPPY EASTER!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #10  

Yes, I eat them, but when I eat them I feel guilty. I alway feel guilty when I eat too much food.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's important to remember that not all food guilt is coming from God.

We (especially women) are taught to think of dieting in terms of virtue. If you are dieting or losing weight, and are perfectly "on plan," you are "good," and if you eat something off-plan (often, even if it's healthy) then you're bad.

Many normal and underweight women still have this good/bad relationship with food - self-denial is good and self-indulgence is bad. This can easily be taken to unhealthy extremes.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-16-2009 at 01:38 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #12  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I would like to say thank you to Thinpossible for posing a question that I needed to consider, and to thank all the people whose opinions and responses have given me a lot to think about, dare I even call it "food" for thought? (teehee!)

Now that I say that, the only scriptural reference that comes to mind off the top of my head is found in 1 Corinthians.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted beyond that which ye are able (to resist); but will with the temptation also make a way of escape, that ye may be able to bear it." ~ 1 Corinthians 10:13
What this verse says to me is that no matter how good that food looks, God has given me the intelligence to discern whether or not I should eat it, and the strength of will (and free will) to decide NOT to eat something that isn't good for me.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #13  
Ready for final round!

S/C/G: 217/189/168

Height: 5'3

Anything done in excess.... anything obsessive I believe is sin. God creates balance. Hes a God of order not chaos. Something ive learned over the last yr is I believe food can be a idol. Anything you put before YOUR creator. YOUR sustainer. Is a Idol. But- If the spirit lives within you and it is a sin for you (might not be for someone else- as there isnt a attachment) you will feel a conviction and he will correct. He did this with me. First it was meat, coffee, sugar, white flour. All which ive now learned is unhealthy for my body. One because of excess (esp coffee) two because the food isnt what God designed for my body. They are poison to my body. So here I am on my journey cutting out all these things and learning alot about my body. Respect, self-discipline, and surrender. It is a struggle!!!! But I am actually enjoying my journey.
HeatherEljohari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #14  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Lightbulb Hypereating?

Here's a link to one of those articles by Dr. Kessler explaining the addictive-like qualities that high-fat, high-sugar, and high-salty foods can have on our brains & bodies ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090421/...t_overeating_5

Thanks to Reddalice for the link!

BTW ~ I just wanted to share that I had not read Dr. Kessler's article or about any of his ideas or beliefs until this morning. It is amazing just how similar some of the things I said in my above post were to his findings. I had only read a few articles by other medical scientists before this thread was started ... how interesting!

THINPOSSIBLE ~ it is also interesting to note that the foods you (and I and many others) have the most problems with, all fall into these three categories (high-sugar; high-salt; high-fat) ... hmmm.

Also, I was thinking today about the fact that none of us in our family were even overweight until we started consuming high-fat, high-sugary, hi-salty junk foods and fast foods. As young children, we were just too poor to buy such foods and they weren't even available in the tiny village(s) we grew up in. More FFT ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 04-21-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/192/130

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post
There are foods I don't like: green olives, artichokes, beets.
There are foods I like so-so: salmon, oatmeal, protein shakes
There are foods I enjoy: lean meats, fruits, veggies, cottage cheese, yogurt
There are foods I like that occasionally eat too much of: nuts, bread, cereal, crackers

And then there are foods that carry an emotional charge. They are foods I love, foods that bring me comfort and joy and stress relief (at least temporarily). Foods that once I start eating them I almost always eat too much of

Foods like: chips, fried foods, butter, desserts, candy, donuts, fast food

These foods are more than just food to me. I have an emotional, and yes, I'll say it, spiritual connection with these foods. I will also confess that I turn to them sometimes instead of turning to God.

I think these foods are idols.

What do you think? Can foods be idols?

And if so, how can I justify eating them? And how will I ever be able to give them up? If you asked me to give up chicken, it would be majorly inconvenient, but I could do it, it wouldn't be emotionally difficult to give up chicken. But if you asked me to give up ice cream? I think I'm starting to shake a little just typing those words. And if they're that important, how can I justify eating them?

Do you have foods that are emotionally charged?

Do you eat them?

How often?

How do you feel about eating them?
I'm new here and thrilled to find this forum! I absolutely think food CAN and IS an idol for myself.

My food "idol" is Coca Cola. Not pepsi. Or diet Coke. The real thing. I love it. I've joked for years that Coke is my "crack". It's the one food item that I have tried to hang on to throughout my dieting adventure. In fact, I'll skip "real" food in order to have my Coke. I don't feel any spiritual connection to it, but I do feel an emotional connection. And I feel physically bad when I don't drink it...much like a drug addict (well, without all of the hallucinations and such...but you get the picture).

I myself think that drinking it can be okay one day, when it's no longer an idol for me.

I know that some have said that they didn't think it could be an idol because God said all things were permissable concerning food but I think I take a different perspective from this. The Israelites were allowed to have gold, and yet they turned that into a golden calf...an idol! Anything can be turned into an idol when it receives our adoration or worship.

But you're right. The Bible teaches us that if our right eye offends us (causes us to stumble or sin) than we should cut it off. So if my addiction to Coke is sin, I should "cut it off". Of course, I think God would be much happier if I just keep my eye, and quit the "offending". Better to bring my body into subjection than to have to remove part of my body, lol.

Last edited by P31Mom; 05-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.
P31Mom is offline   Reply With Quote