Old 01-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default Another LATE ~ Mid-Week Boost!

A Simple Gesture
By: John Wayne Schlatter
From " Chicken Soup for the Soul"

Mark was walking home from school one day when he noticed the boy ahead of him had tripped and dropped all of the books he was carrying along with two sweaters, a baseball bat, a glove, and a small tape recorder.
Mark knelt down and helped the boy pick up the scattered articles.
Since they were going the same way, he helped to carry the burden.

As they walked Mark discovered the boy's name was Bill, that he loved video games, baseball, and history, that he was having a lot of trouble with his other subjects and that he had just broken up with his girlfriend. They arrived at Bill's home first and Mark was invited in for a Coke and to watch some t.v.
The afternoon passed pleasantly with a few laughs and some shared small talk, then Mark went home.

They continued to see each other around school, had lunch together once or twice. They ended up at the same High school where they had brief contacts over the years. Finally the long awaited senior year came, and three weeks before graduation, Bill asked Mark if they could talk.
Bill reminded him of the day years ago when they had first met.

"Do you ever wonder why I was carrying so many things from school that day?" asked Bill. "You see, I cleaned out my locker because I didn't want to leave a mess for anyone else. I had stored away some of my mother's pills and I was going home to commit suicide. But after we spent some time together I realized that if I had, I would have missed that time and so many others that might follow. So you see, Mark, when you picked up my books for me that day, you did a lot more. You saved my life."

Amazing isn't it?
How something so simple - helping someone pick up a few fallen items, can have such a life saving effect.

Pastor reminded us this weekend that God will bring events into our lives that will make a change in us, and in those whom we come into contact with. He spoke about how we are all called to bring love, peace and healing to those around us – those whom we know very well, and those whom God places in our lives at unexpected times and places.

God is continuously bringing us from a shallow faith to a deeper faith by giving us the opportunity to serve him in both expected and unexpected ways, for His glory and purpose.

How, we ask, can I bring Love or Peace or Healing to anyone?

We all make excuses like: "I'm extremely busy just keeping up with my responsibilities and commitments – let alone helping others." Or... "I don't have the training, or expertise to be an effective witness." Or..."I couldn't just start talking to someone about God’s love for us – it is too awkward for me."

We can do God's work without being certified,
or educated, or employed in the church.
God uses us where we are and with the gifts He has given us.

Sometimes it is a simple smile that uplifts someone, or, like in the story, it may be just helping someone pick up a few fallen books. The point is: God wants to reach out to people with His love, and He uses us to do it! An act of love may be so simple that it seems to go un-noticed.

Rest assured, God notices - that is why He put us there - so that through our actions other can see the great love of Jesus Christ.

Be prepared each and every day for God to use you.
And remember, He will use you whether you think you are ready,
worthy, or prepared.

He will use you right where you are!

This Sunday we celebrated the groundbreaking of our Community Life Center , and as we know – it has been a long time coming! Its been over 10 years of preparation.

It is an exciting time for the ministry of Faith Lutheran Church and the surrounding community. Think of all the new ways we can spread the news of our free gift of Salvation through the person and work of Jesus Christ to our community!
What a blessing this new facility will be.

This busy time in the church provides us all with opportunities to use our gifts no matter what they are to get His will accomplished. Be thinking of how you can use your individual time and talents to further God's will through the new Community Life Center.

And remember, even the simplest gesture can change a life!

It will bring change to all of us.

AMEN

Go forth with God’s favor, in faith ever labor

To live as His people Proclaiming His love.

His pow’r will protect us, His Word will direct us,

His Spirit will keep us secure in Christ’s love.

Now from this safe haven We go forth to labor

As lights in a world locked in Satan’s dark power.

No fear shall impede us, For Jesus has freed us

From sin, death, and Satan To life evermore

Sunday’s closing hymn: “Go Forth With God’s Favor
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

You know GARY, this message made me cry ... and I'm still crying, becuz it reminded me that I believe GOD brought me here, so that I could meet you (and your lovely wife, Angie); and all the fellow encouragers who would help me through some very sad times in my life. Like when my little sweeties died last year; and our family going through some of the biggest trials we've ever been through: multi-cancers and alcoholism and it's terrible side effects on families and people's lives; all kinds of other health problems and being booted out of our home and you guys encouraging us that GOD would find us a better place. Through so much pain that I could barely walk anymore: I had to use two canes to just walk around here last November. You have no idea: but GOD does, and he will reward you all for me/us. May GOD bless you and Angie and your family, and all of the encouragers who got me through those days, and these days, and all the tomorrows.

This message is correct ~ the only skill you really need ... is to share GOD's love and to listen and encourage others. I know this site is about losing weight, but GOD knows we are more than our weight: we are His people; we are His children! I am so grateful and thankful that you guys and gals were here for me ... and sometimes, thanks doesn't seem like enough, so I regularly ask GOD to bless you all as well! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-31-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #3  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

ROSEBUD that is one of...if not the nicest post I have ever read here

We know our Lord brought all of us here to 3FC for His Glory.

I am thankful for all of you AND the wisdom that the Power Chicks have here to know also that there is more to life than weight loss!

I also thank God for the opportunity I have to share these boosts from my church to those that may need to hear them from time to time.

Always in my prayers ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote