Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5'6

Default Fashion Tips Anyone?

I have found a book from Prevention, foreword by Michele Stanten, Get Thin, Get Young that is a really great book if you have not read it . It has a chapter on Fashion Secrets, Clothes that Slim, Clothes that add pounds. Would anyone be interested in going over the important parts of it? Some of it is good info and some of it makes me laugh, which both are good for our health.
Nita Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

sounds interesting. I love fashion stuff. I watch What Not To Wear almost everyday. I have been wanting to buy these jeans, what do yall think?

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...45524892417862
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, Willow. Those are great jeans. I don't own a pair but I have had them on before. I think with/your stats you will very much like them. They give the long line, sleek look especially with your height!

Nita Ann, I am very interested.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

They look great. I have a couple of pairs of Lee wide leg jeans they really do give you a slimmer, trimmer appearance.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #5  
Closed

I like those jeans!

Let us look at some detail what this book is going to tell us about Fashion Secrets, Clothes that Slim, Clothes that add pounds. It tells about a special color, a particular cut, or specific fabric is all it takes to minimize our hips and thighs, shrink our waists, and give us more height. It is simply a matter of knowing how to create the illusion.

Let Us Start with your mirror

Stand at least a body length away from a full - length mirror in your , Birthday suit. [I put Birthday suit did not want to say the word for no clothes just did not seem right to me] That way you get to see the entire artwork.

Are you tall or short? Broad or narrow? Is the line to your shoulder to your hip straight or curvy? Instead of trying to fix your body, you need to learn about your body. Understand the line of your body so you can select clothing that agrees with that line.
To do that, you need to determine your body shape: pear, hourglass, apple and rectangle.

Pear:
You have an indentation above your hips.
Your waist is 10 to 12 inches smaller than your hips
Most of your weight is distributed below your waist

The Hourglass
You have an indentation above your hips
Your weight is evenly distributed between your bust and hips

The Apple:
You don't have an indentation above your hips
Your waistline is the widest part of your body
You have thin arms and thin legs

The Rectangle:
You don't have an indentation above your hips
Your hips, bust, and waist are in proportion to each other

I am going to give you a day or two to figure out what body shape you have ,maybe most of you would of came on and posted by then, hope so! You must realize no matter how much weight we loose our body structure will be the same. So yes, it is important to us that we look good in the clothes we wear. I have seen Ladies that out weigh me 100 to 200 pounds and are still beautiful because they know how to wear their make up, have the right hair due and know what colors look good on them and know what clothes to wear.

No matter how much weight I loose or gain my body structure will be the same except I can firm it up and look great, I also know if I lose weight I will be healthier and maybe this will teach me how to look good. For when I got down to 156 one time everyone said I looked horrible but I felt great! Right now I can not decide if I am a Pear or a Hourglass, guess I will have to get in front of that mirror!

Next will be the fun part , we will discuss on choosing the clothes that most flatter our body types!

Last edited by Nita Ann; 01-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nita Ann View Post
I right now I can not decide if I am a Pear or a Hourglass, guess I will have to get in front of that mirror!

Next will be the fun part , we will discuss on choosing the clothes that most flatter our body types!
I think I am an hour glass
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #7  
Closed

I hope everyone has their body type down mine is a Hourglass but I wish it was an Rectangle, love the kind of clothes they can wear!

Body type will determine the clothes that you choose to minimize your waistline.
Frame Your Face: One of the kindest things we can do for ourselves is to wear a collar. Says Judith Rasbabd, and image consultant in Orem, Utah . It lifts the attention to our faces instead to our bodies.

Pear: Keep patterns and textures above your waistline and solids below. Anything loud or bulky below the waist adds dimension, Schuller says, Wear skirts and pants without pleats
Hourglass You’re evenly proportioned, says Schuller. You can wear the same clothes as a pear shape woman, and you can wear patterns below your waist line.
If you have a flat stomach, try a fluted trumpet skirt. Its long, straight style. Flaring out from miscalf to ankle, is very slimming, says Princes Jenkins, an image consultant at Majestic Images International in New York City.
Apple : Look for clothes with an overall downward taper at the end of the garment – whether it is at the bottom hem of a blouse, skirt, or even a sleeve, says Schuller. You are as wide as your widest line, [I guess that means don’t make your line on the material any larger than your waist across, right?], whatever falls, Avoid horizontal stripes-they add dimension there and make you look wider.
Rectangle: Schuell suggests choosing column dresses - those that go straight up and down and don’t taper – made of fabrics like velveteen, matte jerseys and heavy silks that move when your body moves, creating fluidity.
Get Hip: Avoid horizontal lines at the hips, such as tops with patch pockets and sideways stripes, Jenkins says, because they add weight to every shape. Clothes that slim your hips include A-line skirts, long jackets that cover the hips, loose fitting tunic tops, and slightly padded shoulders.
To minimize thighs, Jenkins suggests choosing pants with a semi-full leg, staying away from those taper at the bottom.
In a couple days we will Scale the Fashion Heights! I just love this book, it talks about everything. I got it for 25 cents at a garage sale!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #8  
Closed

I am 5'6 and I wear long and loose shirts & bluejeans because they are so comfortable and I do a lot of loading of feed and hay and don't need my back side showing.

Scaling the fashion

If you’re short, don’t wear long shirts over long skirts. Your waist gets lost and you look even shorter. Wear an A-line blazer or belt and wear skirts that show an extra inch or two above the ankles.
Or try pantsuits, unless you’re less than 5 feet 4 inches tall, pantsuits with longer jackets that cover your hips and thighs will make you look taller and slimmer.
Find the right fabrics
Anyone carrying extra weight should avoid fabrics such as , fleece, tweeds, leather, metallic’s and nubby knits, which add visual pounds, as well as busy patterns such as floral prints, checks and polka dots.

Pear and Hourglass: Choose softer fabrics, such as thin wools, cotton jerseys and lightweight silks.

Apple and rectangle: Choose stiffer, thicker fabrics, such as crisp cottons, stiff silks, and lightweight linens.