Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #1  

Default First Place 4 Health OR Prism

Is there anyone that knows anything about these programs? There is a Prism group that will be starting in my area in a couple of weeks, and I believe there is one of the First Place groups starting near here also. Just curious about them.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

TAMMY, I thought that I read somewhere that the PRISM program is another type of low-carb program; and the other plan, FIRST PLACE, has a Christian theme to it. I'm sure that if you GOOGLE them, you could find out a lot more about them both.

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-21-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #3  

I believe they are both Christian based from what I've read so far. Just wondered if anyone had done either program. Thanks!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/211/135

Height: 5'4"

I have done the First place program. I enjoyed the bible study part of it more so than the diet. The diet is based on exchanges. You get so many bread, fruit, veggie, protein and fat exchages per day based on your weight, age and height. I have tried every kind of "counting/measuring" diet out there and have to say that unless you are extremely disciplined (which I am not) they wont work. Eat smart, watch portions, plenty of veggies and limit unhealthy carbs, and you can lose---all your weight that is
4givn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

the original first place was based on the exchange program... the first place 4 health is a new and revised version that I believe is based more on the food pyramid.... I am very familiar with the first place program and love it.... the new one started this summer and I haven't been able to buy the new material and am not sure if/when I will. There are still some of the old bible studies available if you look online.... First place/ first place 4 health does have a web page... and I'm involved with an online group for it as well. I'll try to answer any questions etc....

btw... I don't know anything about Prism.

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

just want to say that not all of us unorganized folks, don't do well on counting/measuring plans. I follow an exchange plan, or I should say "try to follow" an exchange plan. I'm not always successful, and there are days when I follow very well, and others when I don't even use my food journal pages that I made (all I have to do is check the boxes). But I don't have to be perfect, I just have to suceed more often than I fail.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/211/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
just want to say that not all of us unorganized folks, don't do well on counting/measuring plans. I follow an exchange plan, or I should say "try to follow" an exchange plan. .
Please not that I did not say "unorganized", I said you need to be extremely disciplined. There is a big difference. I am extremely organized, but lack self control...especially when it come to food. Having to stay within a boundry set forth on a diet plan is very difficult for me. I love fruit and veggies and find that only eating 2 fruits a day was not working for me.
4givn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I understand what you're saying, I just disagree that it's true for everyone. I'm not only conaiswe myawld unorganized, but very, very undisciplined as well. Sticking to a plan is really hard for me, and self-control - well, when it comes to carbs, I have absolutely none. I keep testing it, and proving it to myself over and over again (friday, I thought I could "handle" some nutella spread with my apple, and it turned into a carb free-for-all binge day).

Atkins "low" doesn't work for me, because I feel weak, nauseous, and just icky with "too few" carbs. South Beach doesn't work well, because while not as dramatic, I don't portion control "good" carbs, like fruit and starchy veggies, much better than processed carbs.

What made me realize that ab exchange plan didn't have to be rigid (too rigid for my undisciplined self to follow) was finding a bunch of them. I read the Duke Diet which had two exchange plans in the book, a reduced carb plan, and a standard plan. Then I found hillbillyhousewife, which had three carb level plans (and several calorie levels of each).

It made me realize that I could decide how many fruits, dairy, protein..... I wanted to include. Since I had been following an exchange 1500 calorie exchange plan outlined in the TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) website and book (The Choice is Mine), I used the low carb exchange plans I'd found as inspiration, and swapped out a couple exchanges of starch for protein. then I added some (4) optional/flexible exchanges (flexible, in that I can use a starch, protein, dairy, or fruit exchange - since all are about the same calorie level). So my minimum exchanges are 1500 calories, and with my flexible exchanges if I eat them all, my maximum is 1800 calories. Veggie exchanges, I consider minimums, as I don't worry if I eat an extra veggie exchange (too many veggies has never been my problem).

Everyone has to find or make the plan that works for them. There's always a boundry of some sort when trying to lose weight, and I don't think it's a matter of organization or discipline, but rather of choosing your own boundaries. Choosing what you can and can't live with. I also wouldn't stick to a plan that allowed me only 2 fruits and 3 vegetables, or a plan that required the same number of calories every day. Since I couldn't find the plan I WOULD follow, I made my own plan. South Beach, Volumetrics, Glycemic Index, The Duke Diet and several others influenced the plan I created, because they all had components I had found successful, but I was unable to follow their plans (call it lack of discipline, or just not a good fit for me, I don't know which).

For me, choosing lower carb, least processed, high fiber foods controls my hunger the best, but the exchange system gives me a portion-control framework. "Eat smart, watch portions, plenty of veggies and limit unhealthy carbs," doesn't work for me. I can maintain my weight, but not lose weight on such an unstructured plan. I've attributed it to my being too "undisciplined," and/or that I've never seemed to have an effective hunger "off" switch. With no internal cues, I've had to rely on external ones.

You say you're too undisciplined for a counting plan, and I say I'm too undisciplined for a plan that doesn't count, in some way. I think we may both be right (and wrong), especially as to whether discipline has anything to do with it. I think rather, it's not always easy to tell why a plan works for someone, and not someone else. The important part isn't the plan, but finding what DOES work for you, and if you can't find something that works, maybe you can "tweak" or build your own plan that does, using what you have learned about your own likes, dislikes, and tendencies.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-22-2008 at 12:31 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/213/150

Lightbulb Prism week 2

Hello,
I am finding that week two is much easier than week one. I am finding it easier to look the other way when I see or worse yet smell one of the trigger foods/comfort foods that this time of year seems to produce. I have been two weeks pretty much sugar free - which for me is amazing.
I really like the Prism weight loss format. I do not have agroup that I belong to. I am doing it pretty much myself and my two daughters. I am finding better choices and feeling clearer minded then when I would eat all the processed food. I tried Nutrisystem a couple of years ago and all the preservatives nearly killed me. I like this much better because of the unlimited amount of choice. The only real restrictions are the no sugar, no white flour, no starches, no deserts. Those are the things making me fat anyway - I am getting better. I also like the daily scripture reading and the journaling.
Let me know if you have also been successful with Prism.
Blessings.
azcandy is offline   Reply With Quote