Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Christian input needed (dh and dieting)

I do believe my dh unintentionally sabotages my weight loss efforts and am posting this here as I know some will trash their husbands in these situations, but I don't believe that is the right attitude.

A few weeks ago when I began to cut down, he prepared my favorite meal despite my begging him not to (he did it while I was out of the house, so it was there when I came home.) He bought my favorite snack a few days ago and today he brought out another snack that I love. He is not a big eater and these are not usual behaviors for him unless I'm on a diet. Even the teen children notice that this is going on.

I've talked to him about it, prayed about it and am trying not to be made. He fully believes he is not doing this and says he wants me to be thin again so that I can enjoy the things that I miss. Have any of you experienced this?
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Subconsious sabotage, I know thee well...
First, is he anxious about you losing weight? Are there any security issues with him? Perhaps talking to him about this might help.
Second, you don't have to get mad at all! Just be understanding, and explain to him that you know he loves you but you really really REALLY want to accomplish this goal of yours so you can be healthy and stick around to be with him for a long, long time.
Third, just because he prepares things for you or brings them home doesn't mean that you have to eat them! You can praise him fully, give him some special attention, and then "put it aside for later". OR, in the case of a meal, have just a taste (I KNOW how hard this is) and bulk up your plate with salad salad SALAD. He'll get the message soon enough!
You really have it good, because he is trying to do things for you that in his mind shows you that he loves you. Redirecting this into a more productive area (like, say, "BOY thanks for making dinner. I sure appreciate it! And what would also really help me, even MORE than the fabulous snack that you picked up for me, is if we could go for a walk with together tonight!!!") might be your best option...
Every time my DH used to do this, I would beg him for a back rub! After several weeks of meals and treats, he started complaining that "Every time I bring you a treat, I have to rub your back for an hour. I'm not bringing you treats any more!" which was the whole point of the exercise! Problem solved, and everyone was happy (and my back felt GREAT for two whole weeks...good times....sigh...)!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Missy,I love your avatar .......but about your hubby, it is not unusual for men to sabotage their spouses diet efforts, I am sure this is a subconscious thought on his part.Poor men, they are so insecure.,just think when you reach goal you may look attractive to someone else , or hubby may look unattractive to you.I am sure that is the farthest thing from your mind. I suggest that you remind him that you want to be at a healthy weight so you can enjoy your lives together and not be concerned about diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, heart disease and other thing obesity contributes to.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/156/140

Height: 5ft 7 inches

MAybe try a pre-emptive strike?!
The night before, tell him about your plans and then say..."If you have any need to buy me snacks, maybe you could get ****" OR ask him to make your favorite meal in a lowcal version and vegie it up as well. Present it as a challenge/mission! Maybe he is afraid you will get HOT and leave. So... involve him in the process. I liked the evening walk idea from freiamaya. God Bless
cheesewhore is offline   Reply With Quote