Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default What foods do you eat for more energy?

Basically the title says it all! LOL! What are your favs?

TIA!

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #2  

Default Energy foods

Greetings:

I had big surge in energy when I started to be careful about getting enough protein. I'm a vegetarian, so that is a problem. I had much less of an afternoon slump once I started making sure I got at least 40 grams of protein a day.

Some protein sources I use are: nonfat Greek yogurt, Pria bars, small cartons of soy milk, South Beach energy bars, soy products like Yves soy dogs, and the like.

Hope this helps.
cathrynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #3  
Goodbye Fat!

Spinach in my morning omelete always seems to perk me up in the mornings.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Another vote for protein from this corner! Really, it makes such a difference. Even my DH as added more in his diet and stated how much more alert he is feeling throughout his day.

My protein sources are whey protein powder, eggs, light cheese, NF cottage cheese, some nuts (careful with those), and lots of skinless chicken breasts.

In the morning I like to start my day with cooked oatmeal mixed with cottage cheese and protein powder. All warmed together in the microwave. If I don't get this in the morning, the rest of my day runs a little rough. My mid afternoon snack is yogurt mixed with cottage cheese and some sliced almonds. This will keep me running until dinner.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

For the past couple of weeks I've been having egg whites (about 1/2 cup) and two Morning Star Farm "sausage" patties for breakfast. That sure gets me going and through until lunch. I also have some high protein oatmeal.

For lunch I make sure I have either yogurt or cottage cheese to go with whatever salad I'm having that day.

For dinner, I make sure I have a piece of meat (usually chicken or fish).

All that protein definitely gives me the energy I need for the whole day. And now that I'm exercising in the morning, I can get right up, do the workout, hit the shower and still not feel "shaky" for lack of food. I get up at 4:30 and don't usually eat until close to 7:00 AM. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the amount of protein I'm consuming.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Protein!

Sometimes about an hour and a half before going to the gym, I have a quick omelette with 1/2 cup egg beaters, some chopped spinach, and a laughing cow cheese wedge. So good! So quick! So full of protein.

I'm always stronger at the gym when I eat one
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Protein! I am on a high protein diet, although not really low carb. I make sure to eat protein at every meal and snack. Light string cheese, natural almonds, egg whites, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Depends. Getting in more protein helps, throughout the day, but my exercise routine usually involves doing exercise in the evenings, but before dinner. Even if I have an afternoon snack at work, I get home at 5 or 6 and am just starving.

Bananas have been my thing lately. If I eat a banana about half an hour before working out, I find the carbs give me a nice energy rush for immediate exercise. Plus, I like bananas.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote