Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #46  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Way to go Ultimate girl!!!! It was beautiful in the midwest today. Unfortunatly I am to busy for a ride. Glad you were able to get out there!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #47  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Awesome! I'll live vicariously through you guys, since the weather has been hit-or-miss today (rain, sun, rain, sun...) and I didn't get out. I'm going to go to the gym after I give a fife lesson though, so I can keep up with the strength-training too.

I was "outted" by one of the other regular gym members who works at the same company as me. "I haven't seen you around lately!" "Oh, I bought a bike." She agreed biking is a good alternative, but I promised I was going tonight, so that's the extra push I needed to keep on top of that aspect. ;-) I've been trying to go to the gym at least once a week to get my money's worth there, and to keep on top of the weights (although I've been ignoring the cardio stuff in favor of the biking the rest of the week). Maybe I'll go swimming tonight, too. I think I've had enough of a "break" that the gym isn't feeling like a chore right now. (It was really starting to drag me down, which is why I GOT a bike to mix it up and keep me interested). If I hadn't found the bike alternative, I'm not sure I'd still be "with the program" right now.

The bike's definitely helping though! I'm down to a solid 218.0. No 218.8 or 220 or anything above! So, I've taken a couple of feeble steps in the right direction off my plateau. I'd worry that it's because I haven't been lifting as regularly, (and the weight change is muscle loss) but I've only been making strength gains every time I go back, so I can't imagine that would happen if I was losing muscle. I'm also noticing my legs are changing shape, with all the biking. Not a bad shape at all - just different from what you get playing with a hack-sled and gym machines. It's a much longer, shapely set of muscles, instead of one big muscle poking out here, another one there... the slightly less natural muscle-tone of someone who uses specific muscle-targeting-machines.

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Considering that I am a weekend bike rider only, don't have anything thrilling to report today. Though I did ride the stationary bike yesterday and today for 20 minutes of "random hills" each time. Yesterday I increased the resistance and went only 5 miles. Today I decreased it and went 6.

It is raining right now and I really hope it stops tonight because I want to ride tomorrow. Need to get outside! I don't care if it's cloudy, just want to exercise outside and see the "scenery" along the nearby river trail.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #49  

Happy Saturday!

Had so much fun this morning! Hubby took today off; he's been sooo busy at work and working Sat. mornings to get caught up but decided to take this whole weekend off. So we got in our ride this morning. It had rained all night and the river trail was wet and muddy. Then about half-way into the ride, it started to rain. But it wasn't a heavy rain, just enough to make it fun. We had hats and jackets and were prepared.

Updated my biking challenge info below. I'd like to get 500 total miles by the end of summer (April-August or so). And would like to get 500 outdoor miles for the year. This way I can track the two separate goals. We got in 13.5 miles today and 13.0 last week so we're off to a decent start for April.

Janice, I am impressed that you are commuting to work. As a kid, I rode my bike everywhere but I am scared to death to ride on the roads around here. It's so crowded and there are so many terrible drivers here that it's just not worth it. That's why my outside riding is limited to weekends when we have time to put the rack on the car, load the bikes, and drive to a trail somewhere. When the days get longer, we may be able to take short rides on weekdays. Good job on reducing your commute time!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:55 AM   #50  
FiferJanis

Great job! I tried taking the rest of the "Yankee Doodle" trail (our town's name for the the "Narrow Gauge" dirt rail-trail I've been taking into the neighboring town) the other direction into my town center... unfortunately, it's not even close to finished as the part I've been traveling. The rails & ties are still down in parts, and it's covered in hawthorns and other spiky brush. Guess it's not going to be open this spring as was planned a few years ago...

The day's weather improved after that (it was kind of cloudy and humid then) but by then my mood was shot, and I wanted to do some other stuff, but it was a nice 6-mile trip to get my metabolism going for the day. I plan on doing some distance-riding tomorrow. Not sure where to, though. Perhaps I'll take the Narrow Gauge to the Minuteman to the Charles-River trail and check that out.

--Janis
Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #51  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Id like to join this thread...I'm going to buy a bike tomorrow & plan on cycling everywhere !! Work, friends houses etc. I plan on putting 6-8 miles minimum on my bike daily.
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #52  
FiferJanis

Sure thing! I got my bike a few weeks ago with the intent of commuting, too, but I've been doing a lot more!

Today I did *gag* 55 miles! Ouch, eek, och... Now to soak in a hot tub for a few minutes before going to bed so I can get up bright & early and do two "Patriot's Day" parades in Lexington & Concord (MA). That is, if I can still walk!

--Janis
Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #53  
Dawn aka Sims addict

As long as the weather is nice I plan on cycling as much as I can. I'm not much for walks, well not now I am bc its so hard on me being heavy. I used to walk all the time. I love cycling & its a exercise I can stay enthused about. I will have my bike in the next day or so. I cant wait !!!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by busker
Today I did *gag* 55 miles!
Wow!! Hubby and I are gradually working up to a 25-mile ride (we really are wimps ...) but probably won't get there until some time in May. Hope you're walking today.

Today is sunny and breezy and would be nice for a ride, but because of time constraints had to settle for a quick walk around the neighborhood after my lower-body workout. Anxious to ride again soon!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #55  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Default Got my bike !! Rode today !!

I got a awesome mountain bike today, practically brand new for 70 bucks. The guy didnt want it simply bc it had a tiny dent somewhere (I dont see it). He paid 300 for it. I'm so stoked !! Has a place for a water bottle & has 21 speeds. I rode 3 miles on it. I though the last mile would kill me. LOL But I made it & I'm proud of myself ! I made a mini goal for my self. I hope to reach it by the end of May.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:40 PM   #56  

Hi all, I'd like to join the challenge too. (I saw the thread when it was first posted, but there was still snow on the ground here...) Last week I went for the first ride of the season. It was gratifying to realize how much easier the first outdoor rides are when you spin thru the winter! (Although I've slacked off this last month, the old training effect is still there.) Also great to not need to break in the butt - usually the first few times out are excruciating. I always wear bike shorts or capris, partly for the padding, but also because I don't need undies with them and hence don't have that awful panty elastic cutting into my butt cheeks.

I've read the whole thread, and wonder how those of you who bought clip-ins are liking them. I have hybrid shoes (bike/walk) and I attach the clips for the spin classes. But I'm too much of a wuss to clip in outdoors, so I use them with baskets outside. The shoes are still a good idea as the soles are stiffer and easier to ride with.

My goal is to hit 1000k (600 miles) by Labour Day. I didn't count my ride last week, so am still at 0. If I do a spin class I think I'll assume about 25k, since I can easily do 20 in an hour and pedal much more frantically and further when spinning. My fingers are crossed for a less muggy, hot summer than last year.

I've been overeating and underexercising for about a month and have put back between 7 and 9 of the lbs I lost. I really hope this challenge kick starts some more positive behaviour!!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #57  
FiferJanis

I'm going to break up the sections of this post with titles since it's so long and you don't need to read it all if you don't want.

Welcome all!
------------------------
3 Miles - good for you! That's about what I was able to do my first time out. Ouch! Somehow I don't remember those little hills being that tough when I was a kid. But, I've been seeing steady progress, as long as I push myself to go out and do it. Getting to work is getting easier (and that's the "tough" route for my week, complete with hills, a little off-road mountain-biking, some speed/road-biking, and a clock I'm racing against!)

I sobbed to myself the first couple of times out, as I was having asthma attacks, my butt hurt, my legs hurt, etc., but like the other gym work, I seem to be adapting. In fact, my weight-lifting & gym workout has improved significantly, even though I haven't been going as diligently!
------------------------

What my heart's been doing throughout all this:
------------------------
As well as pushing my butt through 55 miles (albeit it was a REALLY "easy" 55 miles, taking all the low-grade paved rail-trails and relatively flat path around the Charles River) I wore my heart-rate monitor for the first time (while biking). After the first 10 minutes, it's like, "No WONDER this is kicking my butt!" I was averaging a 145-160 heart rate! It seemed to level off at about 130-135 for the duration, only climbing to 150-160 when I did hills, but it's still a whole lot more than that puny 124 I couldn't get past on the treadmill!

I had to run like my butt was on fire on the elliptical to get it that high (145), and the elliptical seemed hard to me! My Polar watch said I burned over 3000 kcal's that day. While I can't take that at face value (as you need to replace a lot of it, or you'll have difficulties later while trying to repair muscle, etc.), it felt good to be able to tell people I rode 55 miles AND did 6.5 miles of parades the day after.
------------------------

Oh yeah, that diet part of diet & exercise:
------------------------
And I was able to "cheat" a little and have those steak-tips, strawberry shortcake, and some pizza. Today it was back to the chicken & salad, but it was nice to be able to eat some of the quasai-forbidden foods, because I knew I'd burned it off, and actually NEEDED some of it. Apparently doing that much biking you need to replace some of the sugar, because you spent most of your reserves, and you'll need the protein & minerals in red-meat for red blood cell & muscle repair. Pizza? Because I was really hungry, hadn't had pizza in a long time, and didn't feel like cooking after 2 parades.

I also think my body was craving salt, as well as sugar, from what I could tell. Everything tasted really salty to me, and for once, I didn't want diet soda - I wanted WATER. The diet soda was, "eh," and the water was like, "That's the stuff!" For as big a soda addict as I am, this was interesting to me.

Since I've been doing the eat right & exercise thing so diligently for the past 4.5 months now, it feels easy to slip back into the chicken & salad mode, and I actually have no guilt about the other stuff, because it was almost like taking medicine. Sure, I enjoyed it, but I was specifically looking for something with more calorie impact, so it was kind of "prescription" food. It was also eye-opening, because I realized, "You know, I used to eat like this every day, twice a day. But I was sitting at my desk all day, not burning 3000+ calories pushing myself up hills..."

Also... it all just TASTED better. I seriously think it's because my body was really craving the ingredients in it. I actually have a number of food allergies, and things that don't agree with me. But I've found that the harder I'm working out, and the more calorie deficit I produce, the better things agree with me. I can eat onions, eggs, etc. without any negative effects, if my body NEEDS the stuff in onions or eggs. If it's just surplus, my body rejects it right away. I just digest everything better when I'm working out hard.
------------------------

Clips & Cleats:
------------------------
The clips help, I think. It isn't a noticeable difference, but I'm averaging higher speeds, I have alternatives to climbing hills (whenever I'm spent and I have to do a hill, I just "pull" instead of push), and your feet just kind of feel... "right" in the same position all the time. I'll be searching for the clip, just pushing with my foot to get across an intersection until I find my way to the clip, and when it snaps it, it's like, "Yeah, that's the right place." Granted, this is assuming your bike, pedals and clips are set up correctly for your body. (I've been reading a lot, and following instructions for properly setting up the bike for "fit", and I think it's helped).

I'm finding most of the bicycling "gimmicks" seem to have a worthwhile purpose, although I still have a hard time accepting spandex pants. I wear the underliner shorts with the padding (under my jeans), but I'm just not comfortable with my weight enough to go out in public wearing spandex tights. And as for shorts, I'm so black & blue up and down my legs from the pedals and stuff that I'm not all that interested in showing off those, either. (Not painful black & blue - just getting off and stopping at an intersection and bumping pedals or wheels, etc. from straddling the bike)
------------------------

--Janis
Old 04-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #58  

There's nothing like joining a challenge to get me out there exercising! Today I rode the bike to my doc appointment, 17.5km total. Only 982.5km to go. There are lots of bike paths around here, and from May 1 to Labour Day there's a parkway circuit that's closed to cars on Sunday mornings. Of course that means getting up at a reasonable time... Three summers ago a friend talked me into a bike trip, about 300 k over 4 days; maybe we'll do something like that again this summer.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #59  
Dawn aka Sims addict

I did 2 miles today. Not much, but I just started biking after years of not doing it. My thighs & back & feet were just killing me. LOL But I did it. Tomorrow I'm taking bike riding off.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #60  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hey guys, sorry Ive been AWOL. Been a busy week. I'm finally going to spin class after a week not being able to get there. I can't wait to get my butt kicked!!!! It is beautiful out here, but the day is pretty jam packed so not sure about getting a true ride in today.

Welcome to all the new people.

Busker-55 miles!!!!! You are awesome. Great job girl. AND you made it through your parades! You must feel so STRONG!!!!

Check in later. Need to get dressed for the gym!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote