3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   January Walkers - Walking Away The Pounds!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/71309-january-walkers-walking-away-pounds.html)

crk05 01-03-2006 10:10 PM

I did 3 miles of WATP today, so now I need 68 more miles for the month of January!

chaarli 01-04-2006 01:41 AM

2 more miles

I'm so thankful for this forum.
Because I know that I have given myself a challenge I'm making sure that I do it
Wish I could say the same for my food goals.
Anyway 6 miles down 44 to go.

icmethinner 01-04-2006 06:54 AM

HI Sprout

It is difficult to fit in when you have a child at home to take care of like you do. Is there anyone you can trade childcare with so you can exercise?

My situation is that I have 2 children who are both now in school, with my youngest just having started Kindergarten this past Sept. I work at home about 5 hours a day doing medical transcription and I volunteer at the school a lot. I also, of course, have housework, grocery shopping, etc., etc.

What I do is drop my children off at school and head to a local walking spot around a pond and meet up with a friend & walk 4 miles about 4 days a week. It takes me about 50 minutes. Then I go home, shower, and start working, then I have about 45 minutes to clean, then I go pick up the children and help with homework, etc., cook dinner, clean some more after they go to bed, laundry, etc.

I usually try to get in 7 miles on the weekend. Either my husband watches the kids or I trade off with a friend. The friends may not be walkers, but they do like to run errands by themselves,etc.

When my children were out for the holidays it was harder to fit it in, but I did. I made it a priority in my life because I felt like I was physically falling apart. I felt guilty at first for taking the time for myself, but then I have realized it is benefitting everyone because I have more energy and I am becoming more healthy. It just has to be a priority.

Best wishes to you!! :)

sand 01-04-2006 10:53 AM

After a bad non energy day yesterday decided to try and make up for it today. Managed 3 miles

shoequeen69 01-04-2006 01:14 PM

HI ladies. Well I try and I try and I'm trying again. :lol: haha Thank you Cathy for setting this up this month. I am going to try for 10 miles this month. I'm setting it low because I have done virtually NOTHING for the past 3 months or more. My boyfriend is trying to help keep me motivated this time by walking with me. Right now I've had a cold for the past few days so I haven't been out but I hope to start back up again tomorrow. Good to see the newbies in here, wondering where some of the oldies are (:lol: haha).

Marilyn-how is your diet going? I really need to do something similar. My mother is a diabetic and my blood sugar went up from my recent lack of exercise. I can still prevent diabetes at this point (I'm 30 years old) but I'm going to have to work for it. Later.

drbjaded 01-04-2006 02:41 PM

Alrighty then I did two things today. I set my goal weight to lose by April Fool's (crossing fingers) and I went walking. Did 2 miles. 28 more to go. Best wishes to all.

Julie

icmethinner 01-04-2006 04:24 PM

Walked 4 more miles so, 68 to go for the month.

sprout 01-04-2006 04:52 PM

Four days in a row

I have walked every day this month - can't believe it. Starting of a good habit.

I remember 4 years ago when I first decided to start a walking program because of my extra weight and so out of condition I could not walk from the parking lot to the inside of our Rec Plex - about 500 feet - without having to stop because of the pain in the hips and labored breathing. Started very slow and got up to doing 3 miles in 45 minutes and then whammy - the cancer came back and I needed 9 weeks of radiation. That really set me back. This April I go for a check up and if all goes well it will be 3 years that I am clean - am believing that it is still gone and will stay gone.

But due to being so sick I had not been able to walk and therefore am back to starting - well sort of. I am not up to being able to do 3 miles in 45 minutes BUT am improving. At the rec plex the last two days I have done only 1/2 mile and then at home I have done the 1 mile walk away the pounds tape so as of today - January 4, 2006 - I have completed 5 miles - and my goal for the month is 31 miles - meaning I have 26 more to go - I can see that I am going to be able to make this goal. The best part of it though is I can see this becoming a habit again - a good habit.

icemethinner - you asked whether I could get someone to take care of my daughter for me. Not really. Also she is not a youngster - she will be 17 on Saturday. Actually she is not a problem when it comes to walking as I get her to join me. The problem I see - if it is a problem - is to take more than 45 - 1 hour a day for walking with all the rest that has to be done. So I am just having to work up to get as many 'miles' walked in 1 hour and on days that things are not so 'busy' I might be able to get in another 30 minutes.

shoequeen69 - about the 'diet.' Must say that is a word I try not to use as it makes me think I am giving up something now and then will be able to go back to it later. It is like saying 'I have LOST' weight - does that mean I am going to want to find it because I lost it. I know I know nit picky right - but I have found that the way I phrase things does affect how I feel. Now on saying that - the 'program' if I was to say I was on on - is going very well. I decided that this month - January - I would first make walking a priority, I would also work on getting enough water - am up to 2 bottles per day which is 4 glasses which is a lot for me, and reducing / elimintating sugar. Have a terrible sweet tooth and love that chocolate - so have eliminated chocolate so far this month, and only sugar has been in the lemonade I have drank during the day - 1 glass each day which consists of 110 calories - and am working on bringing down the amount of food from the 'bread group' as I tend to overeat in this area. When I think of bread group I think 'bread' and forget that it includes potatoes, rice, pasta, cereal, bread, corn and peas to mention a few of my favorites. So I have really been aware of these in the past few days - and I can feel the difference already by bringing down the amount of food in this area.

I have a lot of weight to lose - would be equilivant to another healthy person - so it is going to take time - but I am going to do it this time - to many health problems that have given me a scare - and of course there is my daughter and hubby to remember as they don't want me to be sick either.

Well have to 'run' as need to help daughter get ready for her outing with her support worker

January walking goal: 31 miles
Jan 4 miles walked: 5 miles
Miles to walk to reach goal: 26 :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Michele L 01-04-2006 08:52 PM

Today is Day 5 in a row!

I am soooo excited! I have walked everyday since Dec 27 except the 30th! I've already done a bit more than 12 miles of my 30 mile goal! I'm thinking I may have underestimated my goal, but I wanted to be realistic. And besides....if I exceed it, I have another reason to be proud and motivated! Right?!

Way to go ladies on working toward your own walk goals. Even small steps are still steps that will make a difference!

Have a great evening!

Michele :wave:

crk05 01-04-2006 10:49 PM

I did another three miles' worth of WATP today so that brings me to 15 miles for the month of January. Congrats to everyone on their progress so far and keep up the good work!

:cheer:

buddha belly 01-04-2006 11:04 PM

Did 1 hour on the treadmill/3.3 miles/475 calories.

Total: 9.8 miles/1355 calories

dawn7672 01-04-2006 11:30 PM

lost

I remebered seeing this thred in December, and Joined in for January, but somehow, I got lost. I would love to rejoin, and my goal for the month will be 28miles. I walked 1 mile yesterday. so 27 more to go. I do the walk away the pounds video. Have a good week!:carrot:

yukimfat 01-04-2006 11:50 PM

1mile today (WATP)

Total: 4 miles walked of a 31 mile goal

sprout 01-05-2006 06:28 PM

Another walk completed

Did another 1 1/2 miles today so this is how January looks for me:

January goal: 31 miles
January miles: 6 1/2 miles
To reach goal 24 1/2 miles :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

dawn7672 01-05-2006 09:35 PM

Walking away

I managed to go to the gym today and do to walking videos totaling my walk to 1.5miles today. 25.5 more to go. :carrot: