Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #1  
kitgyrl

Unhappy Time of day to exercise?

Is there any time of day that has been proven to be best to exercise for boosting your metabolism? I read in the basics here where it talks about just picking a time best for your schedule, etc., but, I'm wondering if there is a best time for metabolism increase. I've got a really slow metabolism, I believe, and it has gotten worse in my 40s.
kitgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Exercise boosts your metabolism for a short time after you finish exercising, but it all still works out to calories in vs calories out during the course of a day. The best thing you can do to boost your metabolism is to eat breakfast every day and not go too long between meals.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #3  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I've heard that exercising first thing in the morning before eating breakfast is best because you have an empty stomach and so you are burning mostly fat. But that doesn't work for me because I always get extremely faint feeling when I exercise first thing in the morning and so I never actually finish my workout. Personally, I think the best time to exercise is whatever time works best for you. I've never heard anyone say that they lost more weight when they exercised in the morning and frankly, most people don't want to wake up earlier to exercise first thing as they usually have to go to work and want every little minute of sleep they can get.

So I say, exercise the time that's best for you and do a workout that you enjoy. Your metabolism is bound to get the hint eventually.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #4  

I have exercised in the morning and in the evening, and lately in the middle of the day, and really haven;t seen much difference in weight loss. I think any difference in metabolism is only slight, and as Tani says, it's calories in, calories out that matters.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with the concensus here that it doesn't matter what time of day you exercise but the important thing is to exercise daily...

I always thought that once I reached my 40s that I was doomed to be the weight I was at...NOT!! I will be 49 in a couple of weeks ... What has helped me tremendously in the last couple of years in losing the last few pounds is eating 5-6 mini meals at regular intervals throughout the day, each meal consisting of a carb and a protein and with 2 of those meals lots of vegetables...

Weight training also speeds your metabolism up. I have been weight training for 20 years ... Lifting heavy keeps your bones healthy and the extra muscle also burns fat... I also always lift heavy because it's only a myth that women will bulk up, we do not have the testostorone to bulk like men do... To paraphrase a friend's husband: "If it were so easy to get bulky don't you think it would be easier to get toned, so why aren't all women at least toned"... So, kitgyrl, if you are not lifting weights I would hightly recommend that you start, it will DEFINITELY keep you young!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #6  
kitgyrl

Thanks to all for you helpful and interesting tips. I will consider all of this. I was just going to Curves, but lately have been alternating Curves days with jogging days. Wouldn't Curves be considered more cardio and resistance, but, not really weight? I've never really worked with weights, but, that might be what I need to try. There aren't too many options where I live without going out and purchasing my own....always dangerous...there's a treadmill story here.

:c)
kitgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Kitgyrl-- If you have been dong Curves for 6+ months, it's my personal opinion that you have outgrown Curves, and it's time for you to make a change, your body may have gotten used to the workout and is no longer getting any benefit... I need to change my workouts either by using heavier weights or changing up the routine, at least every 4 weeks... I think Curves is a circuit training routine that is aimed primarily at cardio with a bit of resistance, but not as much resistance as you should have, specially after doing it for a while. It's a great beginner's workout though...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'9"

I love to do it first thing, before I've eaten. I tend to get sick after I've eaten, like feeling dizzy. I also use "have eaten" as an excuse to keep pushing it off. But, I think the best time, is anytime you can make for it.
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I work shift so it is impossible for me to pick a time of day to exercise and stick to it. I do what I can, when I can.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #10  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

I must disagree with the exercising on empty stomach burns more fat. That is not true. In fact experts recommend that you eat a few bits before exercising will help boost the amount of calories you burn. However a moderate exercise will burn more fat compared to a more vigorous exercise.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:08 AM   #11  
Ryan

S/C/G: 210/182/174

Height: 5'8"

My nutrition class in college taught us that the most optimal time of day to capitalize on a high matabolism (burning the most calories for work done) is in the afternoon around 4-5pm. However it is scientifically proven that people who work out first thing in the mornings stick to their exercise program better (less distractions when you wake up rather than later in the day ie. laziness) hope this helps a little!
wheelfindsolace is offline   Reply With Quote