Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #1  
playin' for keeps

Default adjustable dumbbells?

I've been wanting to add strength training to my workouts, but not too keen on buying a bunch of weights too keep in my teensy house...

Today, I found some adjustable dumbbells online. Apparently, you can add tiny plates to the ends of the dumbbells (like tiny barbells) so that they end up ranging anywhere from 10 pounds to 50 pounds each. They're expensive, but might be worth it if they work.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work as well as the regular variety?

Thanks in advance.

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #2  

Unless u are going to be changing weight amounts constantly during an actual workout session I don't think it's worth it. I know wal-mart sells one on there site too for about $70 I think. If u can afford it and not take a blow I'd get them. If ur on a budget or new to lifting weights then I would really suggest u get some basic dumbells that are non-adjustable and weight 10 or 20 lbs, or whatever is good for what ur doing. The second choice, which I got when I got my good bench and unit, was a two adjustable dumbells and I bought the weights seperate. I got 2.5 all the way to multiple 10lbs cause going over that when buying weights are too bulky on dumbbells. Don't forget if u get these to make sure u get the appropriate weights - olympic or other - for ur dumbells. The adjustable are about $10-$15 more cause u gotta buy the dumbell bars but remember that buying the weights can cost about $2 cheaper, than getting the non-adjustable ones.

Heck u can get the a 5, 10, 20, 30lb non adjustable or adjustable dumbbells and it likely will cost significantly less than the total of the units that are instant adjust for $70. If u get the non-adj then u can instantly just pick the other weight up which could be better if ur switching weight alot.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #3  
one leg press at a time

I have never used them, but I know when I do weiths or workout with a Firm/Fitprime/Kickbutt video, having to constantly stop, pyramid up or down the weight aggrivates me. I want to be able to put my 12's down from lat work and grab 3's for rear deltoid with just the time to get the weight and in position, not stop, add more/less weight, then get in postion. I tjust does not flow very well imo, and if working out to a video, you'd be pausing it so often the hour would drag on to over 60 minutes.
If you have a Play It Again Sports in your area they have dumbbells for pretty cheap prices. When my weights are not placed out for whatever workout I am doing, they are stored in a plastic crate and kept out of the way.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

I haven't used them, but find them intriquing. I've seen several brands of these online and in fitness mags. But I kind of agree with the above posters' points that 1) they just don't seem worth the money (unless you are really an experienced lifter and just want the toys ... my addition to the point above) and 2) it just seems like it would be a hassle to have to concentrate on changing the plates rather than just putting down your dumbbells and picking up another pair to change up or down.

Still, they'd look nice in my exercise room ...
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM   #5  
Mel

I've used Powerblocks, which are a very expensive adjustable dumbbell. They are square, and fit inside each other. The weight is quickly changed by sliding a pin in and out at the desired weight. The shape is a little weird and "feels wrong" at first, bu you can get up to 150 pound dumbbells in ONE set. The also come in a set that goes up to forty-five pounds for us normal folks BUT...they are very expensive. If you have mucho cash, look at fitness equipment stores.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 12:51 AM   #6  

Try big lots, academy, wal-mart, k-mart, or target. These are good places to get cheap dumbbells.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 AM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for clearing up the "quick" question. I've been curious about these. I think the Firm is now putting out a set and it looks cheaper ... I'm not sure if it's the Firm, actually, as I don't have the ad in front of me, but anyhow ... thanks. :dc:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I've used Powerblocks, which are a very expensive adjustable dumbbell. They are square, and fit inside each other. The weight is quickly changed by sliding a pin in and out at the desired weight. The shape is a little weird and "feels wrong" at first, bu you can get up to 150 pound dumbbells in ONE set. The also come in a set that goes up to forty-five pounds for us normal folks BUT...they are very expensive. If you have mucho cash, look at fitness equipment stores.

Mel
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote