Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Contradicting information...

Id love some feedback on this. Ive been doing alot of reading on weightloss, and to keep myself motivated. What I have stumbled on a few times is that cardio will help you lose weight faster (I already know this) BUT we are told that no more than 2lbs a week is healthy otherwise your loosing muscle.

So, Im reading that double your cardio, will double your weightloss efforts.

What I want to know is......will it burn off fat, or muscle if I increase my cardio, after a 2lb loss by midweek?

I also do 2 weight lifting days a week.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hopefully the weight you are losing is fat and water. You are preserving lean muscle mass (and hopefully building some) with the weight training as long as you are lifting heavy enough.

If you have already lost 2lb by mid week it is highly likely that this is a water fluctuation. If you increase your cardio, you burn more calories. Weight loss = calories out - calories in. The more calories you burn, the more weight you will lose, some of that will be water and fat and lean muscle mass.

Doubling your cardio will double the amount of calories you burn for that specific exercise. Eg 30mins jogging burns twice as many calories as 15 mins jogging.

I would say at your weight, you can afford to lose over 2lbs a week since some of this will be water. Just keep up the weights and I wouldn't worry about losing muscle mass.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote