Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #1  
haveto

Default treadmill and back pain

Hi everyone,
I have been walking on a treadmill for 40-80 min per day six days a week for three weeks now. I use the fat burner mode at maximum 3.5 speed and 5% incline. It ranges over time from 3.5 at 0 incline to 2.4 at 5%, 3.0 at 4% incline too. I started having lower back pain on Thursday...could it be a result of the treadmill? I also do upper and lower body weight training on alternate days. I am thinking it's the treadmill because I am starting to feel it when I'm on it. Any one else have this issue and if so, what do you do to help it.
Thank you!
caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Caprice! We can only make guesses about your back pain ... you'd be a lot better off checking with your doctor about the cause and what to do about it. In the meantime, my opinion is that it would be a good idea to avoid any exercise that causes or aggravates the pain.

Good luck in getting it cleared up - I know how annoying back pain can be!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup, only guesses, but my guess here would be that if you just started this, you're doing an awful lot for just starting out, and don't appear to be taking any rest time. I was all gung ho when I started too. And I pulled more muscles than I helped. So if you've pulled or overworked something, you're going to have to let it heal up. I went through the same phase and was so worried about not exercising...that I'd never be able to start again if I stopped now. But I could still do some light exercises to keep me in the mode, and lay off the heavy cardio for a bit.

I was so intent on exercising that even when I got corns and blisters, I'd try and bandage them and run again. And the bandage would rub and rub, and I could feel the blister being rubbed raw, and I'd keep going. Not good.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

You seem to be over training and that's when strains, sprains and pains start. I would bring the incline down for a couple of weeks and only do 30 minutes of cardio on alternate days and do the weight training on the other days. After a couple of weeks of no incline bring the incline up a bit at a time once/week. Also when you are on an incline do you hold on to the rails? You really shouldn't this makes it more difficult on your back... A few years back a lady used to put her treadmill at at least 12% incline, the highest the machine would go, then would hang on to the rail and lean BACK... I'm not a PT but even I could see her back arch!! Anyways, like Heaven said take is slow and easy to start if it continues on more than a week or so see your Doctor like Meg said...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 AM   #5  

Post back pain on treadmill?

Are you keeping up with your ab work? I'm no expert, but it seems that the treadmill and walking in general works more on your back half. You may need to do some more stuff to strenghen your abs so they can "hold it together".

I get lower back pain when I ride a bicycle for too long. It has something to do with the traditional bike seat and a hip that I have that's a little "loose". If I can find one of those cycles with a chair-like seat I'm OK with it, LOL.

Also, you may have a walking pattern that aggravates something else.

Go to your library and look for "Walk yourself well : eliminate back, neck, shoulder, knee, hip, and other structural pain forever--without surgery or drugs" by Sherry Brourman. What interesting theories!

Lantana
lantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #6  
haveto

Default A Big Thankyou!!!

I did lower the incline to a maximum of 2 and the speed down to 3. I don't hold on to the rails because I was told it slows your calorie burn too. I think I was overdoing it.....you know if a little of something is good, then alot of it should be better . I was doing ab work, but just sporadicaly. I now am doing abs on the excercise ball, and the ab machine. And I will incorporate them regularly. The stretch really does feel good. I am relaxing and enjoying the workout, not so intent on getting alot done.
Thank you ladies.......

Oh, and I'll look up that book....just so happens I work in the library

Last edited by caprice; 08-09-2005 at 10:59 AM.
caprice is offline   Reply With Quote