Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #46  
Running Babe

Only Me: Feliciation for running a half in this weather! I am absolutely dying doing hills in this weather and it's usually my strength!

I can't believe I am sticking through running through the humidity, but it is a great stress reliever for me!!!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #47  
Natty Dread Runner

Congrats Only me!!!

Congrats Ellen on your 14 m. I am currently doing the couch potato to 5k program I find it much easier for a beginner to run 90sec then walk 60 alternating for 20min than it is to run 5min then walk 5 min. that;s why I said that I 'll try to program when i can run, 5 minutes seems like an eternity to me.

I admire all the people who run during pregnancy too, I was on pelvic rest and took that as an excuse to not exercise, i'm paying for it now, 40lbs heavier than I've ever been.
sugarbianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #48  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

A cracking run on the treadmill this morning, 10k in 64 minutes. I kept up the pace that I used to consider absolutely flat out for a 5k up for over 8k, then slowed down a bit at the end, but I still shaved 3 minutes off the time it took the only other time I managed that distance.

I was going to run outside today, but it was a bit warm by the time I got up, so I opted for air conditioning. Nothing like as warm as some of you are experiencing, but still a bit uncomfortable for sweaty old me!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbianca

I am currently doing the couch potato to 5k program I find it much easier for a beginner to run 90sec then walk 60 alternating for 20min than it is to run 5min then walk 5 min. that;s why I said that I 'll try to program when i can run, 5 minutes seems like an eternity to me.
I hear you ... You are doing great. I did not mean anything by my comment except to run for yourself and don't let your fears hold you back. You are on the right track for you. I am still not at 5 min intervals, but in 4:1s. I just increased the speed to 5.0 on the treadmill and held it for 40 min (at 4 min intervals) last Thurs. I have been "lifting my feet higher and moving faster than a walk" (jogging? running? who cares?) since Feb and started like you are. You need to find the right mix for you and listen to your body to know when to move to 2:2s or 2:1s or what ever makes sense for you. I am ready to try 5:1s during my short run (40 min) this week ... maybe ... I'll let you know Thurs. I need to work myself into these things
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #50  
Ilene the Bean

Only Me - WOWOWOWOWeeee a half in this heat!!! Holy Moly!! I don't do well in heat either and that's only 10K, I can NOT imagine a half!! OnlyMe you said:
Quote:
By about 8km I wasn't sweating much at all and I had goosebumps on my arms. It was a weird feeling; I was incredibly hot yet slightly chilly at the same time.
I've had that happen a couple of times, the chills and goose bumps in this heat!! What gives with that?

Ellen -- You rock with that 14m...Do you run in a group when you go that far? and do you run your 4:1 intervals. I have to start doing somethings differently, I am stuck in a 10k rut as a long run ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:39 PM   #51  

Yeah, now it'll be two days off. Had good intentions of running today and life got in the way. Just took my evening drugs and I'm practically tipsy now. <Generally not good when running.> Tomorrow morning it is. And then I get to take the car to the car doctor and fix it. Stupid car decided to break it's radiator.
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
Ellen -- You rock with that 14m...Do you run in a group when you go that far? and do you run your 4:1 intervals. I have to start doing somethings differently, I am stuck in a 10k rut as a long run ....
Thanks Ilene. Yes, I run with a group for my long runs and on my own for my short weekday runs. DCFit has it all mapped out, so all I need to do is show up with ym sneaks, water and gels. How much easier could it be? They also tell me what to do during the week, and I swear it has an impact on improving my long runs. So, this week I do an easy run today for 40 min, tomorrow do 14 minutes of 30 second intervals (30 seconds as fast as you can, then 30 second recovery) plus a 10 minute warm-up and cool down), and Thurs is a 30 min tempo run. For the next two Sat's we will do 10 miles (one will probably be a hill run) and then on to 16 miles. It is a good plan - there are many plans like this out there, it is the group that makes the long runs itneresting. There are about 6 of us that run consistently together, though 700 registered for the program. We are divided into groups by pace and then subdivided by intervals. Yes, I do run 4:1s on the long runs. Though since last week tired us all so much and we all had problems we did the last 3 miles or so light post to light post and then 3:1s. Sat was about endurance and distance, not about time.

Can I just say, I LOVE MY RUNNING GROUP - I don't think I could do this without them.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #53  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey everyone

I am back from my vacation and proud to say that I continued my training program FAITHFULLY while I was away...and even though it was HOT HOT HOT- I did it all!!

I jumped on my scale and all that hard work is paying off more than I EVER imagined possible...My weight is down to 115.4 but I have never felt so good about myself in FOREVER!!! Thank god for running!

Happy Monday everyone!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote