Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:06 AM   #1  

Default Are push-ups as effective...

at toning the arms as lifting light weights???

I have been doing around 50 push-ups every night. I am trying to tone my arms, shoulders, breasts and back. It seems to be helping, but is it enough or should I do weights too?
Thanks
MollyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:31 AM   #2  
one leg press at a time

They are great done in addition to weight lifting. Also remember, your body will adapto to doing the same movement over and over, so after a short period of time, you will not continue to see results just by pushups alone. You can vary the count, tempo, do static hold at the bottom or top, and count 2 or 3 counts to push top and 2 or 3 counts to the bottom, the 4 count push up- go down, push halfway up, down again, push top. Never lock your elbows on when at the top of the movement.
Yuo can also bring your arms in a bit so your elbows "shave" body which will work your tricep more, or you can angle your hands inwar facing eachother, thumbs touching causing a triangle effect but you may not be able to go down as far as you would if you do normal hand placement for push ups.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #3  

50 push ups? wow! that's great!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  
one leg press at a time

Oh- forgot to add, to add core training into your pushup routine, use a firm medicine ball (not the squishy ones filled with sand, you want one like a basket ball that will not collapse when you rose and lower,) place under one palm, lower and raiseholding the abs in tightly.
To further increase the challenge, (to begin start in the bent kneee pushup, as you progress, extended leg will be great and abigger challenege.) with one leg extended straight out behind you, abs held in TIGHT and arms in the traditional push up stance, lower, don't lift the leg arching the spine, you want your body to be in perfect alignment- a straight line from toe to top of head, so don't drop the head, but rather lift the chin slightly.) Your body should be in a diagoinal line. FOrm is very important so do not let your spine drop.
When this is done in a straight leg popsiton it is killer hard, but vet good core training. Complete one side, then reverse sides of the body.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #5  
i am a runner

S/C/G: 165/142/130

Height: 171 cm/ 5' 6.5"

How are you doing the pushups, on your knees or toes? If you want the best results from pushups do them slowly and go all the way down and back up.
kookiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #6  

Well, since I am just starting and I want my form to be perfect...I do the first 40 on my knees and then I do at least 10 more on my toes.

You have given me some great suggestions, I cant wait till I am stronger so I can start doing them.
MollyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

You will build more muscle doing push-ups than using light weights. This is because you are pushing against most of the weight of your body. But as one poster said, your muscles will get used to doing them.

You can try different hand positions and clapping push ups too. Try making a triangle with your thumbs and index fingers and push ups like that, try having a wide gap between your hands. Also push up explosively, clap then catch yourself and lower your body down.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote