Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #31  
Made my Goal weight!

Yay, I ran 10km today....It took me 65 minutes and 10 seconds, YAY me....I am very happy and will be sore tomorrow, I felt like my legs were going at super speeds but I was NOT going to give up.....so I guess the rest of the week is HILL training ....
Ilene, congrats on getting faster what a wonderful feeling eh?

Take Care everyone!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

Leanne a 65 min 10K very good... I've been running for a year and a half...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 AM   #33  

Hello All,

I am training to run my first 5K June 19th. I know that I can run 5K without stopping, but I'm not exactly sure how fast.

Leanne, I live on an army base too and I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN about feeling intimidated running in front of people. But, then again the people on base always say hi when you run by them and the 30km/h speed limit on base makes for a safer running place.
KristinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:42 AM   #34  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Default Milestone in Running!

I just got back from my morning run and i have reached a milestone. I actually ran for 17:30and I started out running uphill instead of down. Normally I would run for about 9-11 minutes and then run out of energy or endurance. My morning route is about 1.6 miles and it usually take me about 23 minutes to jog/walk the whole thing but today I did it in 22 minutes!! woohoo I feel like doing a rocky dance But seriously I am soooo happy yall really I am! When i felt like giving up I just kept telling myself, it's just one foot in front of the other you can do this.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #35  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

You guys are great thanks for the awesome advice.

congrats leannem83 on the 10km in 65 minutes wow I am striving to run faster and that is definitely motivation. I have adopted the exact same of method that you mentioned. Doing the run then getting in my car and tracing the route while clocking the mileage.

Only_me thanks for the advice I appreciate that. I heard someone make a comment about NOT dieting while trying to create a program? Is this correct? I know that I need carbs for energy stores when I run but I have cut out alot of unhealthy foods and such. The reason I ask is because I stopped drinking coffee about 4 months ago for health reason but I've heard alot about runners drinking coffee before or after their race runs or morning runs. Should I be eating clean right now as opposed to allowing some sweet snacks here and there? Oh yeah and congrats for willing yourself out to run even though the weather was terrible and you didn't want to.

Ilene I don't know how your progress was before but your running stats that you have posted are awesome to me as well so I say way to go!

Ellenuw congrats on the 11 minute mile woohoo!! that is great!
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:43 AM   #36  

Mrs Dawsondn - big hugs and congrats to you, too!! I am not at an 11 minute mile yet, but seriously striving to get there ... There are others a whole lot smarter than me who can help you with the food end. I just try to eat clean and not worry about it too much. I do know low carb makes me cranky.

This morning I ran 4:1 intervals for 30 minutes and feel pretty good. The runners I meet on the bike trail are all smiling and say hello - it is almost like I have joined a special club.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #37  

Height: 5'7"

Mrs Dawsondn - I'm so impressed with your 11 min mile. Congrats. I'm a big believer in having a sweet treat once in a while--keeps a person sane. But there are lots of healthy, or maybe I should say nutrient dense, ways to get carbs too, so it's all a matter of balance. As far as coffee goes, there may be a slight performance enhancing effect of caffeine, so it isn't necessarily bad for a runner without other health issues, but my guess is that the truth is probably that runners are very much like the general population and are just feeding an addiction. Now where is my cup?

Ellenw, sounds like you had a great workout this morning. Feels great when that happens doesn't it?

Leanne, congrats on your 10K time. Have fun with hill training.

Spanky, when I started running I was convinced that everyone was staring at me. Now I just don't much care. You won't be intimidated for long--soon you will feel powerful!

Well, all my goals just fell apart this week. It hit 110F here and I just hid. Didn't even do a nice step video in the A/C. I did attempt to ride my bike on my indoor trainer, but a) my hip bones are now too wide for my saddle and it was very painful, and b) the baby is in the way and I coudn't bend over properly to reach the handlebars. Didn't last 15 min. I had a nice big crying fit about it! I'd like to say I'm going to do better this week, but it's going to continue to be 100+ and I have to travel for business the 2nd half of the week and these days it is going to be enough of a challenge just to survive that.

I'm basically going to have to start over from scratch after the baby comes! I'm determined to do that, but so glad I have you guys for inspiration. I was there not long ago, and I'll be there again soon! Sometimes I read the Runner's World preggo thread on their forums, but I have a hard time relating to people who've just graduated from XS to S clothing, whine about how size M running shorts make them look fat in their 2nd trimester, have reduced their mileage only down to 20 mi/week in their 3rd, and their slow jogging PG times are still better than my PRs. Happy for them, and yeah, jealous, but it is so far outside the realm of my experience it just isn't helpful.

Everybody have a great run today! Run an extra couple yards for me--I'm now basically running vicariously through you.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #38  
Made my Goal weight!

Anne- when I was pregnant (all three times) I gained soooooooooooooo much weight....partly because I ate terribly but mostly because I stopped working out....so I was an XL/XXL body trying to run my way to a SMALL....lol, it would have been so much easier if I hadnt stopped, but seeing as I did, after having my daughter I had to start from square 1....1km at a time....

Spanky- are you/or hubby in the army?? where?? I am always wondering what other bases are like, but I guess there are a LOT of differences AND similarities with the military way of life...Congrats on training for a 5km race, that should be LOTS of fun!!!

Alright, I should be taking today off, but thankfully I am not nearly as sore today as I thought I would be...SO, I am going to take my kids out for a rainy day walk!

Happy Monday everyone!
Leanne
CW 121.6
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote