Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-31-2005, 12:33 AM   #1  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

Default Getting started - how long/often?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get started AGAIN. I have 100lbs to lose. I'm pretty desperate.

How much should I be exercising a day to have consistent weight loss? And how often?

Are morning work outs better? Should I eat before or after? Should I take a day or two off? How about weight lifting, how important is that?

See, I need some help.

I was speaking to a neighbor of mine - when she lost 60lbs she worked out 6 days a week, walking and the gym - (which I won't do yet, no way) which totaled 3 hours a day. She lost an average of 4-6lbs a week in the beginning, then 2-3lbs towards the end of her goal.

I wonder, is that good? Is that "normal". She also said it was easy because after 1 week of exercising that much she had tons of energy - something I severely lack.

Any tips? How should I get started and how long should I strive for?

PS - I have a treadmill, jump rope, bike (won't ride in public yet), aerobic steps and several work out DVD's that are collecting dust (Tae Bo, Yoga, etc)

Help!!
Amberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hi!

I can't give you any precise numbers/amount of weight you could lose this way, because it also depends on each person, we won't all get the exact same results at the exact same moment. Now, something that you can do and that won't get lost is:

- Resistance training (lifting weights). Developing your muscles will also make them need more energy; of course you need to combine that with an eating program, but it helps in burning some more calories than just your average basal metabolism would need. Plus you'll anyway look great from the outside too (No risk of becoming bulky, by the way.)

The thing with this is that you need to work your muscles to their full extent. I'd say that preferrably, you should aim for series of 10-15 reps maximum. If 15 reps with a certain load are too eays to do, it's time to up the weight load. If you can barely do 5 reps, then the weight is still too much. Normally you should feel when "enough is enough" - that's when you can't take one more rep anymore. Start easily at first though, especially with muscles that we don't use often (for instance, I personally have a hard time with biceps, as I've never really "used" them before, while my legs are stronger from carrying all the weight). It's best to up from something too easy, rather than start too hard and then injure a knee or elbow.

45 mins to 1 hour a day should be good for this; too long would cause more harm than good.

- Cardio-training: This is to actually burn the fat. You can do it on a bike, elliptical bike, treadmill, walking/running outside... You however need to do it during a significant amount of time each time, basically more than 45 minutes, else it's not useful. The reason why is that during the first 20 minutes, you'll essentially burn carbs (in the blood stream and stored in muscles - I'm not sure about the English name for this one, glycogen maybe?); between 20 and 40 minutes, you still burn the remaining carbs and start tapping into the fat stored in your body; after 40-45 minutes, you'll burn the fat. So less than that is still good for general health, but not for losing weight.

Also - there's a certain limit to reach, and one you shouldn't go past. There are formulas to compute this, the "simple" one goes basically: 220 - (your age) = your maximum heart rate. In order to lose weight, you need to perform your cardio exercises at at least 50-60% of this rate, and not more than 75-80%. As an example: I'm 25, so following this formula, my max rate is 195, and to do effective training, I must stay between 98 (50%) and 156 (80%). In the beginning, you'll probably go high in your own range, until your heart is trained enough, and will then pump a bit more slowly for the same intensity of exercise.

I'd say that ideally, you should alternate both during 6 days each week. Cardio-training tends to get lost if you don't do it too often, while muscle-training requires a day of rest (~48h) between two sessions (working your muscles to their full extent "tears" them a bit, so they need this time to "repair" themselves, which is what makes them get stronger in fact).

However, for workouts DVD, I'm not sure of what exactly they make you work. Probably cardio more than often, yet I don't know every DVD out there, so I wouldn't give my word on this. They're probably good though if you're just starting; some of them for instance make you work with small weights, which is better than nothing after all, and allow you to start training your arms in a soft way. Or you can try to get free weights and do that at home (not sure about the prices where you live, but in my town, I've been able to find starters' sets for like 20-25 $).

You'll sure feel more energized, in any case. And also beware the scales if you do weight-lifting - i.e. 2 pounds of muscle take less room than 2 pounds of fat, so after a while, you may see your scales not moving and think that you haven't lost anything, while in fact you've lost some fat (and in inches!) but gained in muscle. Regular scales just don't make the difference, and give you the total weight.

Phew, okay, that was quite long, sorry for the novel. I hope I haven't forgotten or misunderstood anything (nor used the wrong word, sometimes I get carried by my thoughts and use a word that is more French than English), but at least from what I've already read on these boards and from other sources, it should already take you somewhere regarding exercise.

PS - The time durations (45 mins etc) I've given are "ideally" to really help losing weight; if you feel you need to start with less, by all means, do it! I wasn't biking for 45 minutes straight on my first cardio workout either; everyone needs to get their body into shape again and progressively improve, and starting pumping out like an ox when you haven't exercised in ages is simply too much for a start. Remember that even 15 minutes "only" is always better for the health than nothing

I hope this could be of help, and good luck with starting again!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #3  

I'm a similar weight to you!! Does that make you feel any better?? What I did was sign up at the dreaded gym, which embarrassingly, is at my workplace. I got a personal trainer, who has adopted me as his pet project. I do three workouts a week, and swim three times a week. Sometimes I do more. I do mainly cardio with a wee bit of weights. I will start doing more weights as my weight goes down.

I have discovered I love exercise, and since I started regularly exercising, I have got fitter and better at it. The help is out there. No one will judge you, no one will think you are fat and ugly and hideous, they will think you are a person who is proactive and doing something about their weight.

My personal trainer advised short workouts do burn fat, and that is what is working for me. I do work outs in my lunch hour. And I do longer ones at weekend. Every little helps.

Don't get discouraged. You will start feeling really good about yourself once you get over the intial "erk! I hate this" feelings. If you want a virtual exercise buddy PM me.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #4  

Hi,
I would suggest you make exercise a daily goal. Do it upon awaking... Throw on your sweats, t shirt, hat and go out for 20 mins a day during the first 3 mos, increase to 30 mins a day for the next 3 mos and then 45 mins after 6-8 mos. Usually you don't have to wear makeup or be self conscious because not many people are out in the morning.
Being outdoors is really good for the body and the soul. As long as you can breathe in fresh air. If you really are uncomfortable walkiing in your neighborhood, try Leslie Sansone VHS/DVD. The VHS is only $10 each and she is motivating and teaches proper posture for walking etc. Start with the 1 mile for 20 mins and then increase as you are able.
Every day you will find that you have to "FORCE" yourself to do it ---no matter what it takes just force yourself.
You will feel so much better about yourself and in your body every time.
I focus on "getting healthy" not on "weight loss" .
Now, I do cardio and weights. Kathy Smith lift weights to lose weight is good---don't overdo the amount of weight----take your time.
As for eating, if you are hungry before working out don't deprive yourself but don't eat too much either---just eat enough to take off the edge, banana or apple or drink fruit or vegie juice. It'll make for a more pleasant workout if your stomach isn't busy trying to digest alot of food. Then, when you finish the workout, eat --I like oatmeal in the morning and if that's not enough eat a couple eggs and have some oj.
My new motivator is "Focus on Health, not on Weightloss" ---the weightloss happens on it's own when you focus on health.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: ALLOW YOURSELF TIME AND HONOR YOUR EFFORTS.

MY BEST WISHES TO YOU FOR A HAPPY HEALTHY EXERCISE.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #5  

Hi, Something that I forgot to mention about weight lifting. It is really good for increasing metabolism, toning, strengthening, and general bone health.
KS Lift Weights to Lose Weight is a VHS that I mentioned in my earlier post, she recommends buying the 3lb, 5lb, 8 lb weight set. I bought 2,3, and 5 lb weight set from Sears. I want to take it super slow.
I used a personal trainer at a gym a few years ago---the trainer was a young guy; I am a woman. I think he had me lifting weights that were too heavy (40 lbs and above). Though I got toned, if I had to do it again I would really be careful with who I chose to train me. There are many unqualified people out there and you only have one body.

Take care and all the best!
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:42 PM   #6  
the journey begins

Thank you very much for the responses.

I'm starting slowly to try and put together some kind of routine (I'm just no good at structured living).

You're right, I must force myself, no excuses, must move my body.

Great advice. I'm going to print stuff out and get out some exercise clothing. Going to have to buy a decent sports bra or two (I have such a problem with finding ones that fit right). I must get dedicated. I agree that every morning it should be the first thing I do. I think that would put me in the right mode to start of the day well. If I exercise right away, maybe it'll help me from saying no to those bad foods, 'cos I won't want to ruin what I did for my body.

I get so easily overwhelmed but I can't let that deter me.

OK, so, a little at a time. I will focus on moving every day, even if just for 10 minutes. I know that once I get into it, it'll be less daunting and actually, maybe, enjoyable. I do want so badly to feel that energy, that high of strengthening your body and bringing in new air into your lungs and getting fit. I want to be strong and healthy, not just trim. I long for a comfortable body where I can move around with ease, stand up and sit down gracefully and not feel like a sausage in my clothing.

Thanks again for all the support!!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #7  

Don't get to worried about perfect exercise "zones", matching your heartbeat to charts etc - you are not out to win a gold medal, just to get fitter. If it hurts lots, do less, if it felt easy, do more - but the most important thing - every day, do something. Every day is best because then exercising becomes as second nature as brushing your teeth (serious athletes need a 'rest day", those of us going around the block each morning don't unless we are resting an injury)
Just do it!
Charlotte2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:49 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Very good advise Charlotte2... Amberoo, just start moving, baby steps... one day at a time, some days it's a minute at a time... but just DO IT!! and have fun... If you're going to walk take some music along, your dog, whatever works for you, but DO IT !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #9  
the journey begins

You're right, I must JUST DO it for gosh sakes, stop thinking so much about it and actually move my butt.

I did today. For the first time in a long time, I hopped onto the treadmill, was only on for 15 minutes but it was a start.

While I was on there, I thought to myself, what if I could stay on for an hour straight? Or two hours? Or three!? Maybe two hours in the A.M. and two at night? I started thinking all these irrational thoughts - trying to figure out how long I'd have to walk on it every day to lose 5lbs a week. If I lost 5lbs a week this month and then in May, I could get a good amount of fat off by summertime, enough to fit into most of my clothing... then take it from there.

I guess I truly am way too impatient of a person. I know this takes time. I feel I wasted so much of it. And now I must deal with being uncomfortable, embaressed and unhealthy for yet ANOTHER summer. I'm so mad at myself.

And those who say you don't gain the weight overnight, you can't lose it overnight... I understand that BUT I have gained 15lbs in a month before... easily... I can gain <snap> just like that. So is it possible that I can lose that much in a month??
Old 04-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoo
So is it possible that I can lose that much in a month??
Simply put, NO..... You don't mention how old you are but as you get older it gets more difficult to loose ... 15# per month is a lot to loose, 2-3# per week is good and healthy amount loose and as you move along it'll even be 0-1# per week, it's a long process, but what have you got to loose but weight, and you will gain a self confidence you never knew you had...

Good for you for doing 15 minutes on the treadmill...It's a great start... Don't worry about what you will look like THIS summer... think of what you will look like for the rest of your life! It IS a lifetime commitment NOT a diet to look good for THIS summer... If you don't look perfect this summer you will look good for next summer, because if you don't start somewhere you won't look like anything next summer... am I making sense I should go to bed ...
But first, here is a very informative site http://www.fitfaq.com/index.html and another one http://www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html ... for you to look at ...

Hope this helps have a great weekend...TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #11  

Ambeero, I wouldn't worry about how much you should exercise quite yet.. I think the important thing is to get started, even just walking alittle at first and then doing tae bo or yoga or other activities, incorporate exercise into your life and don't think of it as a chore (although I know that is a tough thing to do).. think of all the benefits of exercise and not just the cosmetic reasons (even though these reasons are motivational as well )... remember, you are going to feel great and your body will love you for it. Take it one day at a time and remember not to overdo it at the start, get used to being active everday first and the increased activity will come... go at your own pace and what feels right to you. By the way, I love tae bo, it's great for weight loss.. also it's great because it is about 25 minutes long, not too bad and it's also fun especially tae bo LIVE.

I hope you are successful and I wish you the best !!! Good luck!!!
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #12  
Starting over once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoo
I guess I truly am way too impatient of a person. I know this takes time. I feel I wasted so much of it. And now I must deal with being uncomfortable, embaressed and unhealthy for yet ANOTHER summer. I'm so mad at myself.

And those who say you don't gain the weight overnight, you can't lose it overnight... I understand that BUT I have gained 15lbs in a month before... easily... I can gain <snap> just like that. So is it possible that I can lose that much in a month??

I know how you feel exactly. I am a very impatient person also. But I finally realized something the other day... even though like you said, the weight isn't going to come off overnight.. in my case, it's going to take at least a year, maybe longer. BUT, that year is going to come anyway. It isn't going to not come just cause I'm not doing something about my weight. Either way, I'm going to get another year older... I might as well be making myself healthy in the process. Even if I don't get to my goal weight... I WILL... but even if I don't, at least I'll be healthier & thinner this time next year.

Did that make sense? I know what I want to say but it's hard to put it down into words sometimes.
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #13  

Do you eat clean ? add more vegetable and fruits into your meals. I like the way not to strave yourself to lose weight, I eat small 4-5 meals a day instead, experts say it help boost up your metabolism through the day. Based on my experience, only diet or exercise alone will not lead to success. I have to cooperate both and drink plenty of water. Moderate exercise is appropriate, don't force youself to do something your body can't. Have some rest day in the week. Don't overdo, like exercise 3 hours a day (been there, done that: can't get up and work out the next day), you will be too exhusted and give up soon. 45-75 minuits is the most. When I was heavy, I can't run, I can only walk a bit faster pace (3.6) while others in gym can run at 5-6.
I started work out at home too. Do whatever home video workouts you like, shuffle them frequent so you will not get bored. Sometimes I don't want to go to gym in baggy cloths to cover my body, or intimidate by skinny girls running next to me. I love the quiet atmosphere, wear tight shorts in my room, watch favorite TV channel aside from my workout dvd (even shorts are still not fit me, well but I want to wear it anyway but can't wear in public too).

Last edited by yuiuab; 04-02-2005 at 02:31 PM.
yuiuab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #14  
the journey begins

Ilene, I just turned 23 in March. Is that too old to lose weight at a decent, steady pace? I haven't been this big my whole life, only within the last two years did my weight get really out of hand. Would 10lbs a month be a little more realistic?
I never wanted to look "perfect", I don't think that is possible. I don't even think to myself "I've gotta look gooood". What I am talking about is not feeling SO ugly and not feeling SO uncomfortable/embarassed in my own skin and clothing (and this is at it's worst when in the summer heat, that is why I mentioned how upset I am about my weight and summer being around the corner).
And yes, you did make sense and thank you for the helpful links.

I don't have any health problems (thyroid or anything like that) so it was really just me being depressed and lazy which = 24/7 hunger. I did this all to myself, stupid me, I practically asked to be fat and miserable. AH! I know I've gotta get out of that downer mode. It's soooo hard, though! But I do want to work on it, I do want to turn my mindset around and think more positivly. I've gotta, or there's no way I'll be able to stick with any sort of plan to lose this weight.

DaisyJ, thanks for your input. I was wondering, I do have a yoga mat and videos that I ordered earlier this year and (of course) never used them. At the weight I'm currently standing, would it be possible for me to do yoga? Would I hurt myself?? In my mind, I've gotta lose at least 50lbs in order to perfom yoga (a goal of mine for some time).

Stephanie, thanks so much, it's always comforting to hear that others are going or have gone through the same thing. How do you deal with your impatience?
You are SO right about the year happening anyway regardless if you are losing weight or staying unfit. It makes so much sense to have the mindset you have - I think that's great. I'm going to try very, very hard to keep this fact always in mind so not to give up. Yep, chances are I'll be alive in another year, so do I really want to be at this same spot again? Or do I want to have reached my goal? Because that year is most likely gonna come.

Yui, there have been times in my life where I ate clean. I know HOW to eat clean. But I sadly must admit that I have not eaten that way recently, especially in the past year or two. It's like I went on a junk food binge and never stopped. Everything I eat lately is already made, processed, sugary, salty, fatty. If it's not, and I actually did make or buy something wholesome, I ruin it by eating WAY too much of it to get satisfied.

I too have come to realize that I must diet AND exercise in order to lose weight. Unfortunatly for me, I can't just do one or the other. It's very hard for me to lose weight, I'm the type of person who looks at a cookie and gains.

Thanks again everyone, for all the support. I really do need it.