Pilates vs. Yoga - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #1  

Default Pilates vs. Yoga

Hello, all!

I am in the process of setting up my workout schedule and I would love your input. I am planning cardio probably every day, weight training three times a week and I can't decide whether I should do Pilates or Yoga the other three days.

I am looking for input on what the benefits are of each and primarily, what's most effective. I have Winsor Pilates and Yoga Sequences for at home practice. Yoga is also offered at my gym.

Would love to hear your input!

Thanks,
Torrey
txlawchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #2  
Recovering chocoholic

Depends on what you want to work out. Yoga is great for general fitness and stamina. Pilates is good for toning stomach muscles.
viviki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:15 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I just started both Pilates and Yoga back in June.

Actually I was just looking into Pilates initially; however, my Pilates trainer also teaches Yoga and also has a Yoga/Pilates class - 30 minutes of Yoga followed by 30 minutes of Pilates.

My core strength and firmness has increased significantly since starting these classes - Yoga hits the core as well (at least as far as I can tell personally) but they're both different disciplines, however they work very well in tandem
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Pilates works mainly your Core-abs, thighs, and back...and yoga can work the entire body depending on what type of yoga you are doing.

There are many different yoga classes and videos. Some are more gentle for relaxation and flexibility...and others can be extremely strength building and intense. It really depends on what you want to do and what class or video you choose. You can read reviews on videos online-or ask the instructor.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #5  

There is a great article at http://www.ivillage.com/diet/experts...408029,00.html which discusses the differences.

While the two may seem very similar because they are typically done on mats, they are really quite different. Yoga can have a profound effect on state of mind, in addition to helping with balance, flexibility, strength, stamina, etc. Pilates is much more focused on strength-building. I think of Pilates as a good hard workout, whereas my yoga class is an essential part of my weekly "me" time.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i got a yogalates dvd of amazon which is good. i try to get up early and do it first thing to wake myself up then i do 30 mins tai chi which puts me in a good state of mind for the day
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:34 AM   #7  
Veiled Rose

Saluations!

I do Pilates. I never really got into Yoga. If I could afford to take the classes, I'd prob take up some Yoga. Consider rotating a couple weeks Pilates and a couple weeks Yoga. Diversity is always good.

I have Windsor Pilates and a Pilates video that I bought from the Discovery Channel Store. I actually enjoy the cheaper (maybe 14$) video more then the Windsor Pilates. Check out your library. Oh, and if you actually want to stay awake while doing them, avoid Dennis Austin. **boring**

Aphil, its nice to see another Bellydancer. I used to dance a year or two ago, but stopped and allowed my health and my body to go to ****.

But hey, I am here so I should be on the right track!
MissSVH16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #8  
deleted2

As far as changing the shape of my body and changing the way I move and live in my body, I definitely prefer Pilates!
I started with yoga and I love it and I alternate both practices. Pilates has helped me more with my yoga practice than the other way around---plus, I've grown an inch!

And I'm into bellydancing as well, and Pilates has helped with that too!
Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 PM   #9  

In the space of about 6 months I regained an inch in height that I had lost, AND my forward reach increased by 3 inches, all from Yoga alone.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:40 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 2"

Pilates is the only one I've done and love it. I should try Yoga...
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:46 AM   #11  
Go, Banana!

i have found that yoga allows me to concentrate a lot on meditation more than workout, but i guess thats cuz im going to a studio and its guided... i do pilates as well. i have a book and a video.. (i like the book SO much better) its called: the pilates body by brooke siler. the book doesnt allow me much time to meditate cuz i have to keep reading. anyway, i know after both workouts i feel it and i love both.

miss svh has a great idea... maybe u should try rotating them! yoga one day then pilates the next! you can't go wrong.

peace irina
eyereenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #12  

I just joined Bally's and they have both mat pilates and hatha yoga. I plan on doing 2 classes of each per week. Both have benefits and a personal trainer told me that those classes are a great way to stretch after a cardio/weights session.
chilichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #13  

Pilates was based partly on Hatha Yoga. It was developed to allow dancers who had injured themselves to regain their strength and flexibility. The recent boom in Pilates coincided with the discovery that training the "core muscles" is essential for everyone.

Lots of good advice here but I strongly suggest trying a few classes in either discipline to see what you like and what works for you. The alignment of the body in the various poses is difficult to perfect without instruction, and alignment is everything. Either - or both - is worth lifelong practice for remaining limber and avoiding deterioration as we age.
lhendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:22 AM   #14  

Actually, Pilates was developed by a physical therapist (Joseph Pilates) during WWI to help injured soldiers recuperate and regain their strength and mobility. It was adopted by dancers (and actors) because of the many benefits it offers to people who use their bodies as an instrument. It may have some roots in hatha yoga, but it would be more similar to weight training than yoga in its result. It's funny that it is suddenly so popular when it's been around for so long. Again, yoga is great and I HIGHLY recommend it for many reasons, but to me it's not an "either / or" argument because the two modalities have very different goals and methods.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #15  
Head Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyereenah
i have found that yoga allows me to concentrate a lot on meditation more than workout, but i guess thats cuz im going to a studio and its guided... i do pilates as well. i have a book and a video.. (i like the book SO much better) its called: the pilates body by brooke siler. the book doesnt allow me much time to meditate cuz i have to keep reading. anyway, i know after both workouts i feel it and i love both.

miss svh has a great idea... maybe u should try rotating them! yoga one day then pilates the next! you can't go wrong.

peace irina
Irina - I'm a big fan of Brooke Siler, too. I have her book and I highly recommend getting her 'Pilates Body Kit'. It has a journal, flash cards and workout cd's. I love the cds because I stay alignined correctly (not trying to watch a video) and because she has the cds set up so that she will walk you through a workout slowly to teach you but once you've got it, you can go to a different track and complete your entire workout in about 10 or 15 minutes. It's much more challenging when you've got that flow going
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote