Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default Ab machines: Fess up, who's tried them?

Gut busters, Ab Swings, Ab Slides, Ab Rollers... the list is endless. Extensive testing by organizations such as Ace Fitness and Consumer Reports have shown that these gizmos are no more affective than crunches, and in some cases they are less effective. Using a balance ball for ab exercises, as well as a "captain's chair" in a gym, have been shown to be effective. The rest appear to be a waste of money.

Still, the claims seduce us into buying these products. Who wouldn't want strong, firm abs in 6 seconds?

What ab products have you bought? Do you feel suckered?

I'll start.. My first experience was with a Tony Little Ab Isolator. It had a piece that you slipped over your feet, another that rested on top of your thighs, and a strip of webbing that connected the two. It was supposed to hold your legs and feet in position while you did the perfect situps. Instead, the bar presed on my thighs and was very uncomfortable. I preferred tucking my feet under the edge of the couch.

I also had an Ab Roller, which you probably are familiar with. Once again, it is supposed to help you do crunches more effectively, but this machine concentrates on upper body placement by giving you something to hold onto while you do the crunches. Once again, I did better on my own.

I then tried a balance ball, after reading about it on the AceFitness site, and have really felt the difference. I do work my abs, and can feel every crunch. Standard crunches would have been just as effective, but the ball helps me because I have a bad back.

What have you tried?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

YIKES!!! I had an ab bar I think it was called and I believe it came with a richard simmons video Can't believe I just admitted to that!! Hmmm what else ohhh I had one of those ab incline benches but I really liked that because it held my feet firm for me letting me concentrate on using the right muscles.
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

We have an Ab...Ab...AbSOMETHING! I'm not sure. I wish I remembered. But it always left me sore, so maybe it was working. Who knows?
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I remember when I used my ab bar thingy my neck would hurt because the damn contraption would pull my neck up LOL I got a better neck workout than an ab workout. The ones I thought were rediculous were the ab rollers I think the ones where you are on hands and knees and it makes you look like you are scrubbing the floor or other various activities LOL JK (well kinda LOL) I would have felt absolutely foolish if i had used one of those
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I mostly stay with situps and crunches and regular ole abdominal exercises where the only equipment needed is a flat surface. LOL The only thing I ever bought for abs was a WATP video with the walkaway belt for abs. I don't believe it has much affect on the abs, but they are good arm exercises anyhoo.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  

Default Ab-Roller

I admit I have and use an Ab-Roller - that bar like contraption that you put your head on the pad then hold onto the bar above you as you roll upward. I actually got mine after a nearby gym started using one as part of their ab work.

For me, this works well because it enables me to keep my head still and my neck and back straight as I curl up. Doing "regular" crunches, I was always pulling up with my neck instead of my abs and it was painful and not effective. At least with the Ab-Roller bar thingy, my neck stays in one place and I actually use my abs!
peach_linen is offline   Reply With Quote