Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 11:13 PM   #1  
Soon to be Lifetimer

Does any one rollerblade for their exercise points?
I dusted off my blades and went 2 miles. I forgot to time it as my husband was trying to jog to keep up which me. I had my daughter in the jogging stroller with helped me get back in the grove of blading.
Now for my question:
How do you count it? Is it moderate or high intensity?
I could honestly feel my saddlebags working
Can't wait til tomorrow to see just how sore I am. I do feel like I got a great workout in that distance.
It seems like you would burn more calories blading than walking, doesn't it?
Anyone got any ideas or tips???
Thanks in advance,
Bunny

172/154.5/140
Old 05-06-2001, 08:13 PM   #2  
Soon to be Lifetimer

I just read that you burn 385 calories in an hour of rollerblading. WOW!!!
We have a bike path and my daughter and I just went 7.2 miles. Hope to go 5 miles each day this week to break my plateau.
Any one out there rollerblading yet???
It is great for you butt and thighs.
Safe Skating
Old 05-09-2001, 04:08 AM   #3  

This is good news for me. I got rollerblades this spring and have been getting out and working my behind off (hopefully) now for about 3 or 4 weeks. I try and take the route with the most uphills. You are right it does feel like it is working your saddlebags (although I have always hated that term). I'm not sure how far I am going but a good day for me on them is one hour. And it is exercise that is fun to do. I think mostly I like going fast.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:10 PM   #4  
Soon to be Lifetimer

I found this on About.com. It is full of infomation on blading.
The following really amazed me:

The benefits of fitness skating are numerous. Consider weight loss, cardiovascular fitness, increased endurance levels, more muscle tone and best of all, stress relief. In-line skating has been proven to burn as many calories as running. A University of Massachusetts study reveals that a person weighing 140 lbs. skating at 15 mph will burn 16.1 calories per minute or 966 calories in one hour!

WOW!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:14 AM   #5  

Wow, I'm definately going skating tonight!!!!

How much safety gear do you normally wear when you skate?
I wear wrist guards (because I think I need them) and a helmet because the MP's here on base hunt you down if you don't have it on.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:13 PM   #6  
Soon to be Lifetimer

I usually wear wrist guards and sometimes knee pads. But remember I have a jogging stroller with a brake too!
If I didn't have that for support and stopping purposes, I would wear wrist, elbow and knee pads. I don't have a helment but it is a consideration I am looking into. I go about 6-7 miles an hour. The stroller is 15 lbs and my daughter is 32 so I figure I am pushing around 50 lbs, that should be burning MORE than the above calories, Right???
I look at it that way to make myself feel better
Take care and have lots of fun.
Safe blading,
Bunny
Old 05-14-2001, 10:21 PM   #7  

I am going to start rollerblading tomorrow.I have had them for a while but I have a hard time finding someone to do it with me.My friend has offered to go with me.
good luck everyone
Old 05-23-2001, 10:43 PM   #8  

I went for a mile the other day.And suprisingly I wasn't sore.I only fell once.
Goood luck everyone
Old 05-26-2001, 08:20 PM   #9  

So tell me exactly how hard it is to learn to rollerblade? I went to the park today to walk and saw so many people rollerblading right on by me and dh. I want to learn how!!!!!! Lynette J. P.S. what kind of rollerblade skates do I get? Are there different kinds for beginners?
Old 05-27-2001, 09:56 AM   #10  

If I can rollerblade anyone can. It is not that hard if you have fairly flat terrain or lots of uphills however I am still really scared of the downhills. Yikes. I am always worried that I won't have enough time to slow down and stop. Ha. As for the type you can get ones for just normal person use or they have racing ones. Ask the salesperson to help you. Mine are Solamon's and a neighbor of mine has K2's and neither of us have any complaints.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:40 PM   #11  
Soon to be Lifetimer

I have k2's and love them. At the time I was going through the big D and bought the top of the line ones for myself for my birthday. (felling sorry for myself )
I had never bladed before in my life so I don't really recommend everyone to buy the most expensive ones.
Do go to a sporting goods store where the sales people have a little knowledge about them. The bigger the wheels the faster you will go. Start somewhere in the middle. Mine are 76 mm and I go pretty good pushing a jogging stroller.
Don't get the ones at the discount stores unless they are a brand that you have heard of. Some of them are just too cheap and you will not stick with it if they don't roll nicely.
My friend has Rollerblade brand and loves them. I would just try them out in the store and see which ones feel the best on your foot. That is also why you want somewhere where the employees know what they are doing.

MOST IMPORTANT is get protective gear!!!
At least wrist guards and knee pads. They are WORTH the extra money -- about $12 - 15 each and sometimes they come in a set.

ALSO don't go when it is still wet out. I found this out today. I didn't fall but I think I put my hip out catching myself. The trail was still damp in the shade and WOW, it was really slippery.

Hope this helps and have fun.
Bunny
Old 05-29-2001, 02:27 AM   #12  

Avoid rocky areas...even gravel is not fun.....it gets stuck in the wheels and they stop going, while the rest of you keeps moving.

thanks for motivating me to take out my rollerblades...i've had fun with them over the past few weeks. my dogs especially liked realizing that they could pull me....

andrea
Old 05-29-2001, 01:40 PM   #13  

I'm new here so I thought I'd say hi everyone. There's nothing like a thread about what we love that gets us to stop lurking. My name is Erik and I'm 29. And what exactly *is* the equivalent word to chick for a male, if there is one? Dude? Well, I'm one fat dude.

I've been rollerblading like crazy since May 1 (I lost my job on April 11 and finally got myself out of the house 3 weeks later). So far, I've done more than 250 miles, with my longest trips between 16-18 miles, and there have only been 6 days this month that I didn't go out. My clothes are already fitting more loosely. And for the last 3 weeks I've also daily been doing pushups, crunches, squats, and stretches.

I haven't had an opportunity to weigh myself lately but I started at around 240 and my target weight is (I think) about 195. I'm only 5'9" but with my body frame I don't think I could weigh much less and still be healthy.

If I keep up this amount of blading I'm going to have to buy new wheels every month! And I'd *better* keep it up seeing as I've eaten 11 doughnuts since Friday...
Old 05-29-2001, 07:09 PM   #14  

Default Thanks for all the motivation....

....about rollerblading. I appreciate all of your expertise on rollerblading. I know absolutely nothing in this area, but now atleast I know what to ask for when I go to the store. Thanks again. Also I think I'm gonna' start riding my bike outside again. I have a stationary bike, but I miss riding my other bike outside. I think that will help me shed some weight too. Bye for now. Lynette J.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:16 PM   #15  

Angry

I am going to a rollerblading camp in August. It is a 5 day camp in Minnesota. It is put on by the zepher in line skate co. You can find them on the web. I am scared to death, but this is something I have wanted to do for years. I just didn't find time till now. The oldest person that has attended the camp is 71. I am older, but not quite that old. So I am gonna try it.
Closed Thread