Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #1  

Default Elliptical trainer info anyone?

Does anyone have any knowledge of the benefits of elliptical trainer and their comparison to other exercise equipment - like treadmill, stepper, etc. I was recently given an elliptical trainer by my husband (awww...sweet, because I wanted it, otherwise it may have been an insult. I haven't been able to find out much information about the benefits though. Any insight would be appreciated!

Jenaya
Old 01-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

The elliptical is GREAT! Kind of like a tradmill/stepper combo - burns a lot of calories, low-impact, pretty fun. Lucky you - I'd love to have my own!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:00 AM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Love mine too..change the resistance or incline and work other muscle groups.
-L
Old 01-14-2004, 08:01 AM   #4  
Meg

Smile The Elliptical

The elliptical was the only kind of cardio I did while losing my weight (I mix it up with other cardio now that I'm maintaining). I had major ankle, foot and knee problems when I was heavy, so the elliptical was perfect since there's no impact. I started at 20 minutes, 3 X week (and thought I was going to DIE! ) and worked my way up to 60 minutes, every day.

It's fabulous for weight loss!

Can we talk you into doing some resistance/strength training too?
Old 01-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #5  

Sure, I am open to resistance/strength training. I have been using free weights at home and my own body weight (push ups, lunges, etc.) but I haven't been consistent. I should probably do this on a regular basis rather than just when I think about it. Any suggestions? I like the elliptical, I just haven't been able to get any info. re: efficacy, so I appreciate the feedback. I alternate the elliptical with cardio (primarily aerobic tapes) and so far, so good. I have a pinned ankle, so I also have to be careful about maintaining low impact aerobics. It truly is addictive though, once you get into the habit of exercise. Glad to hear it has been so successful for you Meg - how long did it take you to get your weight down?

Cheers,

Jenaya
Old 01-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Etm

My darling DH is interested in re-joining the gym for the weights and circuit training and wants me to re-join with him. The only thing that is remotely tempting me is the Elliptical that I always affectionately referred to as the Elliptical Torture Machine.

I loved the ETM. I have neuropathy and can push a pedal on a bike about two times and I'm done. I don't have very good balance, so falling down on the treadmill is my most spectacular skill. Can't do the step thingies - can't lift my own weight up with my legs... I can run on level ground (when it doesn't slide out from under me) - so I am amazingly enough turning into a runner. (I'm not very good at stopping or turning - balance thing, you know - so forgive me if I crash into you.)

I just remembered - I used my arms on the ETM when my legs gave out. Okay, you talked me into it. I'm going to rejoin the gym.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:26 AM   #7  
Meg

Tig -- about the "Elliptical Torture Machine". You've got to think of it as your "new best friend".

Jenaya -- I lost the weight pretty fast -- in a little less than a year. Not only did I change my eating (drastically), but I started doing the elliptical for cardio and lifting weights to build muscle (which is why I asked you about weights ).

I agree with you; exercising consistently is key. Maybe try three days of weights alternated with three days of cardio (and one rest day) and see if that works for you? If you like to work out at home, stop by the Ladies Who Lift forum and ask about home workouts. We have quite a few members who work out at home (I myself use a gym so am not much help ). I think they were recently discussing videos?

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspart...e/calculat.htm
this may help you see the kind of calories you burn doing different activities.
Nike says it best I think, JUST DO IT!
Old 01-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #9  

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I appreciate it. I am faithful with the cardio but not the weights. Muscles burn fat so I better get at it!! Thanks again for your help.

Jenaya
Old 01-17-2004, 11:02 PM   #10  

I have the precor elliptical and just love it!! I have found that my knee hurts lately and dont know if there is a conection.
There shouldnt be . I still wouldnt trade it for anything!!
Closed Thread