Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Hello, 1/2 marathon in 3 days!

Hello, I have been a member here before but have not posted in over a year.
I am 56and aged 49 I started a weight loss programme and lost 40kg, down to 70kg from 110kg. It took about 4 years. I also started jogging for fun and to help lose weight. I am very slow and have a limp as a result of an accident decades ago.

I am running a half marathon on Sunday! The reason for this is I have decided to do something for me. My husband is an excellent runner, and my eldest child (now 29) has developed into an ultra runner. She often finishes ultra races on the podium. I have spent my life being someone in relation to other. I am someoneís daughter, someoneís wife, someoneís mother. I have spent years supporting the goals of others, very happily I must say, supporting, driving, enabling others to achieve their goals. More recently, in the ultra running years, I have become chief support crew. I have watched runners for years and have of course taken part in a few, always finishing in the last few runners (often dead last, walking and jogging).

Well, I have decided to run an ultra myself before it is too late. My husband and kids are totally behind me, and are supporting me in any way they can. The plan is this half marathon now, then a hard hilly trail 30km in October (actually on my 57th birthday), then next year (2020) a 60km in December if possible, but itís an iconic race and a lottery to get into, so if not there is a harder, hillier, but shorter 52km in January 2021. In between there will be smaller local races to help focus the training.

i started training about 6weeks ago, when I made this decision. It wasnít enough time really but it got me going. Ultra running daughter has also entered and will run with me, hubby is on drop off and pick up and will meet us at various points on his bike. My goal is to finish in under 3hours and my dream is to finish in under 2:45.

Iím posting here because I hope to find other running friends who know what it is like to worry about weight. Hubby and daughter just worry about getting enough fuel, but I have actually put on a kg over the last 6weeks. I hope it is muscle, my legs are actually thinner (or my skinny jeans have been growing in the wardrobe!)

so hello, and Iíll be back with a race report on Sunday 😀

Auto.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #2  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/114/<114

Height: 5' 3.5"

Fantastic effort! Love your plan. Well done you.

I was a bit of a runner for a while, and did 1/2 marathon races quite often and 1/2 marathon distance every week for a bit, and loved it, yet I've never done a marathon or longer. My alignment isn't great and I keep getting injured, so I've settled in to trekking these days but i'm jealous of you being able to crank up your running. I tried it earlier this year (i'm 51) and felt to be doing more damage than good, so am back to the gym instead.

Yeah, the only thing that I noticed when I started running more was that I put more weight on. In my case it wasn't muscle i'm afraid - the running just made me hungry, and I thought I was justified in eating more, but clearly my body had other ideas! So unfortunately I think you'll still need to keep sticking to those good eating habits that made you drop the 40kg. Running is so much easier with every kg you lose too, so my (boring) advice would be to make sure you don't continue to put more weight on during this time, and enjoy feeling fit instead!

Last edited by ange82much; 05-29-2019 at 06:48 PM.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ange, yes, getting hungry is a serious problem, made so much worse by family members who just seem to run it off! I’m trying to eat fruit rather than chocolate/sweets/crisps, but TRYING is the operative word here ��

Any hints for the half marathon? How did yours go?
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #4  
learning maintenance

I loved it! And felt so proud of myself after that first one. It really is a great achievement.
My top tip is just soak up all the atmosphere, set an easy pace, a positive mood, and enjoy yourself. Perhaps try get some good hydration happening the day before.
Can't wait to see how you go
Old 06-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #5  
learning maintenance

well????
how was it???

Tags
half marathon, running