Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247.2/247.2/144

Height: 5-4

Default Goal: To enjoy a walking adventure

One thing I've read is that it is good to have a goal in mind when starting a program. I've thought about various goals, but what I really most want is to be in shape to enjoy a walking adventure. I love to travel, and there are things that I couldn't do now because my body is not in shape. I've seen advertisements for walking to Machu Picchu or a walking tour of the Irish coast. Even spending several days walking around a city, seeing museums, walking to monuments, etc., would tired me out. I don't want to be sore.

I currently walk about 5,000 steps a day, according to my Fitbit. If I walk 10,000 steps, my legs hurt.

I looked at the National Geographic tour of Machu Picchu, and the longest day is 10 miles, or about 20,000 steps, and that is after several other days of hiking. So, I have a really long ways to go.

I looked at the couch (which is where I am) to marathon program and tried it, but the truth is that I don't really want to run. Maybe if I'm running to catch a plane. I did some running years ago and did not enjoy it.

How would you approach accomplishing this? As I'm typing this up, it seems overwhelming and like it would take an impossibly long time. Does anyone else have a goal like this?
PCOS4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:27 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

That sounds fantastic! It might seem that you have a long way to go but you have started and that is great. I would approach it the same way running programs work. Start with the 5000 steps and slowly build up, 6000 -7000 and so on. You can start exploring locally e.g. find a place you want to visit and calculate the steps or miles and prepare for it and do it. Just be consistent.
You could have weekly/monthly goals e.g. walk to the shops and if I complete 8000 steps I 'll buy sth. There was a thread "walk to Mordor" where people would add their daily steps or miles. You could start a similar one too. I'd join, both Ireland and Machu are dream destinations.
All the best whatever you do.

Last edited by Kitcherella; 12-18-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247.2/247.2/144

Height: 5-4

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look for the walk to Mordor thread or maybe start one for Machu. Here's a quote from a travel website. Doesn't this sound wonderful? And the only way to see it is to get in shape.

"The Inca Trail is by far the most famous trek in South America and is rated by many to be in the top 5 treks in the world. In just 26 miles (43km) it manages to combine beautiful mountain scenery, lush cloud-forest, subtropical jungle and, of course, a stunning mix of Inca paving stones, ruins and tunnels"
PCOS4Life is offline   Reply With Quote