Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #1  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

Default Should I start running?

I kind of hate it.

But I think it's because I am slow and heavy, and now that I'm not as heavy I might not be as slow? Hmm.

I do kundalini yoga daily, so my fitness levels are pretty good.

Did you start running in spite of not liking it, and grow to enjoy it?
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

When I was in college I ran a lot to keep in shape. After college and as I became heavier, it was less fun. When I started my weight loss journey this summer I was 214 and running was not fun, but I would run until I needed a walk break, then run again, walk etc, slowly building how long I could run. I started only 1-2x a week. By now I am trying to stick to the schedule of 3 miles running (no walk breaks) every other day. It only gets easier as you lose weight and get into better cardiovascular shape.

Good luck!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #3  

Okay, I'll do it. My daughters (8 and 12) want to go running with me - if only to laugh at how slow I am, dangit - so that's good incentive, too. My mother wants to give me her treadmill. Sounds like this will be part of my routine soon enough...
Old 09-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #4  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

I love it. To begin with it was hard. I started at 220lbs. I did half a mile for my first run and it almost killed me but I kept going. Every day. It really supercharges your weight loss. I run 4-5 miles every day now and sometimes up to 13. Running is always hard but it does make you feel great. And it does wonders for your fitness. Just listen to your body, especially your knees and joints. It's easy to get an injury, especially if you run often like I do.

Use all the cheats in the book. Headbands to keep the sweat out of your eyes. Listen to music to distract you. Get good shoes. Dress light. Find other people to run with. Drink beer while running (I do). These all make it easier.

And if you have kids, it's great me time. The husband can take them for an hour while you go for a run. You'll learn to enjoy that.

Last edited by IanG; 09-29-2015 at 08:46 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Why talk about it when you could go out and give it a try and find out if it's really for you. Make a plan to do a c25k and commit to it! After you finish it reasses. Did you enjoy it, did it grow on you? Would you rather do something else now?

At the end of the day there are a thousand ways to get your heart rate up. I've tried running and honestly I find it boring. Just me and my thoughts out there, yuck! My personality seems to need something more socially oriented so I do Zumba and dance classes. I like that I don't have to think about my life becaus the moves are hard and my mind stays engaged with it. I like the self expression of dance, I like moving in sync with other people, I like making new friends and with similar interests, I like that these classes are something that I can mark in my schedule where are running nobody would notice or care if I didn't show up. If I don't show up to dance class someone asked me why I wasn't there - I'm part of something.

Honestly though I would not know that I prefer dance over running if I had not done both with some level of commitment!

Last edited by Palestrina; 10-01-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #6  
Refreshed

My opinion? I love running, but it's not an easy exercise on the body. So, I found something else I loved.

Don't run because you think you need to. Find an exercise that gets your heart rate up and that you actually ENJOY.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #7  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I love running! I started several years ago with the Couch to 5K program and my mother in laws old treadmill (I was too embarrassed to run outside!). It was tough but I finished it and ran several 5k's. Take it slow and repeat weeks if you need to. You can google for a printed version or check out their app which gives you the choice of different trainers, one is a zombie, super fun

I also second the good shoes suggestion... you won't enjoy running if it hurts and it's very easy to hurt yourself without proper shoes. It's best to visit a running/walking specific store with staff who know their shoes.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #8  

I downloaded a C25K app and went running with my girls today. Good times. It is fun to have running companions!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #9  

I definitely didn't like running when I first started but as someone mentioned earlier it's good to start off slow and switching from running to walking to build your stamina. Soon you'll be able to run longer than you ever thought you could!
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #10  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I just can't do it. My knees are SOOOOOO bad.
I do power walk, like SUPER fast. I also hike a lot, do 15% incline on the treadmill, row, and do the elliptical and bike. I wish I could run.....

Good luck, let us know how you do!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #11  

I'm almost done with week 2 of c25k. Running into the wind is no fun, but otherwise I'm doing much better than I expected! I like that it's only 30 minutes, 3 times a week, so it doesn't feel overwhelming. I've figured out a decent circuit around my house so I don't have to go anywhere special, either.

I've discovered that the fewer mental hurdles I need to overcome with certain tasks, the higher likelihood that I'll actually DO it.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:19 PM   #12  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Raisin4Cookies, excellent! I recently completed all 9 weeks of C25K and ran a 5K race on my very last day on the program. It was fun and I was amazed at how great I felt. Now I'm working on slowly increasing my mileage and doing one day of sprint intervals per week, to improve my times. I'm an introvert, and I love the aloneness that running provides, but I'm looking forward to some more races because they spur my competitive drive.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #13  

Height: 5'5"

Good for you! I really want to start running too. I used to run when I was younger and in better shape and it is such a great exercise. I miss the runners high feeling. It also helps so much with toning and weight loss!
SocialWorkMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #14  

I am finding it a lot easier to get moving now that I've dropped some weight. I was only doing yoga before, so it feels good to get some more intense cardio going.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:39 AM   #15  

That's awesome. I am such a slow runner, I feel like I'm holding other people back!