Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Snowshoeing

I tried snowshoeing for the first time this weekend. Love it!
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #2  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Awesome, and I bet it burned a gazillion calories!
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #3  

My hamstrings are sore today - I had to postpone my planned weightlifting session until tomorrow. I did HIIT cardio and flexibility instead and the stretching felt so good.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

We snowshoe also and LOVE it!! Such a cheap outdoor activity IMO...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #5  

I want to try this but don't even know how to start.

Where did you buy your snowshoes? Do they go right over your boots? Do you need the ski poles (or whatever they are called)?

Thanks for anything you can share!
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

My snowshoes cost me $20 at Zellers store when they were closing... I will upgrade soon though.

No need for poles, they fit for the most part over any boot, hubby wears his hiking boots, ... dress warm and go and not too warm as you, or I, sweat a LOT!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #7  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I've always wanted to go snowshoeing! Glad you had fun! We never seem to have enough snow for it here and can't get to the places that have it until it's too packed down for it. Will be hiking ON some packed snow this weekend though

TheLastStraw323 - You can rent them from stores like REI if you just want to try them out.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #8  

I was able to rent a pair of snowshoes from the gym at the university where I work. I'll probably buy a pair next fall at a local sporting goods store where someone can show me how to do the bindings up right. I'm pretty sure mine weren't properly attached to my boots. I used poles because I have lousy balance but as mentioned, that's optional. I wore my usual cold-weather outdoor workout gear, which is pretty hardcore given that I live in one of the coldest places in the U.S. I almost wore my hiking boots but at the last minute I changed into boots I'm sure are waterproof and that was a good call on my part.

If you really want to invest time in learning about it, there's a book called The Snowshoe Experience by Claire Walter. It's kind of a Snowshoeing for Dummies (but shorter than the average Dummies book). I read it because that's what I do (I'm an academic), but it's not necessary.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
Glad you had fun! We never seem to have enough snow for it here and can't get to the places that have it until it's too packed down for it.
Snowshoeing and cross-country skiing are popular activities where I live because it's flat and there's usually snow on the ground nearly half the year. But we didn't get much until January this year, then it was too cold to go out for a while - I'm fine in 15F and up, but when it drops below zero, I just don't want to be out there voluntarily.

I was thrilled just to get outside and to be able to try something that was on my bucket list made it that much more fun. I did really prefer the softer, deeper snow to the icier, more packed portion of the trail. We have a series of ski/bike/foot trails right through the middle of town which is really great!

Unfortunately, it's supposed to hit the 40s next week and I'm scared the snow is gonna melt. But I'll definitely be out again this weekend. Being cooped up for two months because of the cold was starting to wear on me. I'm outdoorsy and need to play around in the snow/dirt regularly or I go nuts. My father was the same way and now I totally understand why we always lived in the country and why he spent so much time hiking/hunting/fishing/skiing.

And it's not just me - the second it hits 20 degrees, the trails and sidewalks are packed with midwesterners chomping at the bit to get outside.

Last edited by Violette_R; 03-03-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #10  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I love snowshoeing too, though I haven't been in a couple years. I finally bought a pair of snowshoes after having rented them several times, but now I don't get out there much! Around here the best places to go are up in the mountains so it takes a bit of work to get to a nice trail.

TheLastStraw - As others mentioned, you can rent them just to try them out. It can be cheap, the place I used to rent from was only $5 per day. I bought my (really nice) pair at REI on clearance for about $100. I usually wear waterproof hiking shoes with mine, really thick wool socks, and I have a pair of gaiters to keep the snow from going into my shoes/socks. I go in the mountains where poles often help, and I have used my hiking poles before which come with a special adapter for use on snow. If you're on flat ground though poles won't give you much advantage, unless of course you want to work your arms along with your legs!

Last edited by atmos; 03-03-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: I'm bad at homophones
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote