Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 92.4 / 84.2 / 65

Height: 169.5

Default Going to the gym tomorrow!

For the first time... I'm scared and nervous. Drastically overweight and unfit and worried I'll fail or quit. I haven't told anyone in real life either as I'm scared they'll tell me that I'll fail or quit or can't do it.

But I've paid my money now and I'm so sick of feeling unfit and breathless or pained when I do anything much. So here goes... Something has to change and it's got to be me that does it.
MumofMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

You've got this! Just take it slow throw some head phones on and move. You'll do great! It looks like we have about the same goal for the pounds to loose Though I did choose to stay on the higher end of health BMI at the moment for my goal
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 259.5/ticker/140-160?

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to the gym for the first time tomorrow, too! I've signed up and paid for my membership, I've bought a lock for the locker, and I have my outfit and shoes ready to go. I'm all prepared - except mentally. I'm also scared.

I'm sure that the first time is going to be the hardest time. My desire to change my life longterm is greater than my fear of experiencing 1 awkward and difficult day. I'm sure the 2nd time at the gym will be less difficult, and less awkward. Once there is a routine in place, I'm hoping it becomes an experience to look forward to, instead of an experience to fear.

We just need to get through tomorrow! We can do this!!!
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I am going back tomorrow after a LONG time away. This will be my first time going early in the morning. I am not a morning person at all but it is too easy for other distractions or excuses (sometimes very legitimate excuses) to sneak in later in the day. I am super nervous that the whole day will end up in utter failure for me. Good luck to everyone beginning their new journey!! I'll check back in for an update.
toodles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 AM   #5  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Given that it's January, you should have LOTS of company. Smile at all the nervous, apprehensive-looking ladies. Show them any "ropes" you've learned. Older, younger, slimmer, bigger.....you don't know why they are there...what you could learn from them or they could learn from you.

Good luck, ladies! I hope you have a good experience. Focus on the exercises and hopefully you'll make a few good exercise buddies!!!!
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #6  

Well, I went. It was hard work but I managed it, although my arms still feel shaky even now I'm home and I feel sick and dizzy. Is that normal?

Back again tomorrow - apparently we're working more on legs tomorrow. :/
Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #7  
Proverbs 31:10-31

S/C/G: 200/146/120

Height: 5'1"

You might be pushing a little too hard if you're getting dizzy (that's what people on here have commented to others). Build yourself up! You don't have to be at a professional level your first month going

I noticied you said "we" are going. Is it a class or with a personal trainer or just a friend? For example, I used to do weight lifting and other things with my husband (which I hated) but if I tried to keep up with him on anything it was too much. He's over a foot taller than me and is a strong man. I can't run as fast as him for sprinting or lift as much as him. You don't have to keep up with anyone but yourself and build tolerance. Experiment at first too! Try new things to find something you like. Does your gym have a pool? Getting in the swimsuit can be SO embarrassing (I know!!!) But swimming isn't as tiring and targets a lot of muscles!!! I'm biased as a swimmer, but please find exercise you like too, whixh is my point. Even yoga is doing something active

Last edited by SenseAndSensibility; 01-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.
SenseAndSensibility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/130

Good job on making it to the gym!

I did go but not early in the morning as planned. My 4 year old was up sick all night with a stomach bug. Yuccckkk! I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep. I went to the gym on my lunch hour and while it was not the best workout I've ever had, I was glad I went even though I was pretty exhausted & worn out.
toodles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #9  

Great job on going to the gym! I will be headed back soon as well. Got my membership, shoes and getting a plan in place. You inspire me!
Bettysgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #10  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumofMany View Post
Well, I went. It was hard work but I managed it, although my arms still feel shaky even now I'm home and I feel sick and dizzy. Is that normal?

Back again tomorrow - apparently we're working more on legs tomorrow. :/
Congrats on your first trip to the gym! I'm proud of you! It does sound like you pushed yourself a little too hard. Are you working with a trainer? Make sure to tell him/her how you felt after yesterday's workout so that they are aware that you may have overdone it. Be careful! You don't want to injure yourself when you're just getting started.

I know you said you haven't told anyone, but do you have at least one good friend who you could share this with who you think would be supportive? If not, that's okay, just be sure to check in here You've got plenty of support on 3FC!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #11  

Feeling a little woozy is usually indicative of either not eating enough or being a bit dehydrated. Keep up the good work!
Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #12  

Senseandsensibility, I'm with a personal trainer and two other ladies. At the time I was working out, other than the weights making my arms feel shaky and sweating a bit, I felt OK. It seemed to be once the fresh air hit my face and I sat down in the car that I started to feel sick.

Well done toodles on getting to the gym at all. My 10 week old is currently keeping me awake most nights until at least 2:30am and then awake again at 6am and I feel like a zombie most days!

Good luck Bettysgarden!

Day 2 at the gym done and dusted. I am really hurting today I must admit. Everything is stiff and aching! Next day at the gym is on Thursday when we'll be doing bleep tests. Have no idea what that is but it sounds horrible! :P LOL
Old 01-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #13  

Hi nonameslob and biscuits, yes I did tell her afterwards as I wasn't sure if it was normal and she seemed to think it was OK and that I just needed to drink more. I took a bottle of water with me yesterday but hadn't realised it had a leak and so it was difficult to drink properly. Today I took a big bottle of water with me and didn't feel dizzy or sick thankfully!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #14  

My God I hurt today. I managed a 1 mile walk today but that's about it. I can feel almost every muscle on my body screaming at me every time I move.

No gym today, but I'm back in again 9:45am tomorrow. Apparently we're doing bleep tests. I have no idea what that is but it sounds hard and painful! More so considering I can barely move I'm so sore and stiff. LOL
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #15  

Good day today! I actually enjoyed myself. I must admit I was so stiff and sore I seriously contemplated not going but I persevered and went anyway and really enjoyed it despite the fact we did Fitness Tests today, unfortunately we couldn't do the Bleep Test because the room we were going to do it in had a class going on.