Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:13 PM   #76  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry

Thanks Precious... I can't wait to go tomorrow!

Weightylady ~ I saw a hard cover titled "Curves" at Wal-Mart! It had charts and recipes & diet program in it. I didn't get it because I am on the South Beach Program and it sounded very similar... I have lost 12 lbs since July1st on South Beach... slow (compared to some), but forever gone and want to boost it up with exercise --- curves.

Have a great day!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-16-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #77  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

I was wondering if most people pay yearly with the contract or go monthly without a contract. My biggest problem is that I will not be able to go 3x a week in the summer when the kids are out of schoool so I am trying to decide which one is the best to go with. I will be lucky if I can go 1x a week because of my husbands crazy schedule.

If other moms have the same problem please let me know what you did.

thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 06:49 AM   #78  

Angry Tuesday

Hi BEV (it's_my_life) I am going this morning at 9:30 for my first appointment at Curves. But from what I understand it's a one year contract with check drafting to get the cheaper rate locked in (here it's $29.00). If I were to go monthly I would pay $10.00 MORE per month ($39.00). I will ask some questions when I go - and see if I could lend a helping hand. But each owner and area may run their Curves a bit differently. I know that this one I am going to is only open from 9am till noon and then 4 - 7 pm. But the one only 13 miles from here has different hours: 7- noon and 3 - 7pm... so it really varies from place to place AND state to state. Is there one you can call close to you? The one I am going to this moning is less then a 1/2 mile away from where I live --- great!

Have a good day! See you at the Dr. Phil thread
Old 09-16-2003, 10:53 AM   #79  

Angry My First Appointment

Hi!

I am back from my appointment with Curves...

The fee's INCLUDE TAX, so make sure you bring enough $ with you to cover that at your first visit. Also... I got this great book from them titled "Curves Member Guide" with graphs, charts, area's to log your own information and food information --- great book! You get it FREE WITH 3 REFERRALS or pay $7.00 for the book W/O Referrals.

I will be starting at three times a week, but may go more often if I can... beginning tomorrow morning.

Okay---gotta go for now. Hope I have helped some.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:45 AM   #80  

Good start Sunny! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The atmosphere at my Curves is so supportive. There are women of all different sizes, and all are there for the same purpose: to improve our health and self-esteem. I'm rooting for you, and for all the other women on this thread! Go, girls! We truly do have the power to amaze ourselves!

Lynda
Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #81  

Angry Wednesday

Thank-you so much Lynda!

I went this morning at 9:00 for my FIRST WORKOUT...
LOVED IT! Loved the people and the music! My fav ~ 1950's!! So sool Can't wait till Friday. Can't go tomorrow, already made plans but will be there bright and early Friday morning!

We have 8 machines, but I heard people talking... there are more machines. How many more? Does anyone know how many machines are out there all together? From what the talk was I am guessing at 12.

I cannot believe I was in and out of there in 35 minutes! I don't work, so I came home to do my stretching-out.
Really Fun!
Old 09-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #82  
Bev

Hi everyone, well I just called curves and I have my first appointment on friday morning. I am so nervous now. I am very shy so this is a big step for me. at my curves it is 29.00 per month, if you do the year contract prepay it is 10 % off and you can pay in cash.

Do most people do the year contract or monthly without a contract? I am not sure which one to do. I plan on going 3 times a week except for june and july and I will just go when I can ( kids are out of school)

Sunny- do you feel like you recieved a good workout? I have lost motivation to exercise at home so i am hoping this will help me. Plus I have plaantar fascitis ( inflammation of the tissues of the bottom of your feet and bad knees so I can;t do alot of normal aerobics. and because of this my dr is always telling to do weight training but I am not a normal gym person. Sunny how much was your tax for curves.

bev

Last edited by its_my_life; 09-17-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #83  

Wow, Sunny! I'm so happy you are enjoying it! And, bev, you've taken a big step in the right direction! I'm sure that everyone is nervous at first. I know I was, and I'm anything but shy! LOL Anything new can be intimidating. But remember that each of the others were new at one time and the day after your first Curves workout there will be another newbie with her first time. I always make it a point to say welcome to anyone I see going through the training on her first day. The thing I noticed is how soon I felt comfortable. Everyone is just so nice and supportive. You'll do great!

Sunny, when I first joined my Curves had ten machines, and it now has twelve. When I was in Las Vegas I went to the nearest Curves and they had eight. At eight or ten we went around three times. Now with twelve we go around twice. Funny, it still takes the same amount of time.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site, forum, thread and the terrific ladies who come here! I have printed out some of the recipes and want to try them this weekend. I do a modified Curves diet and they'll fit right in with my meal plans.

Thanks for the suppport ladies! Lynda
Old 09-17-2003, 11:45 AM   #84  

Smile Thumbs up, Bev!

Hello Bev

I was very nervous too! Very --- I chatter when I am nervous. So I just kept taking slow deep breaths and felt tons better and calmer. It's TRUE what Lynda said... the ladies are so nice and all different shapes & sizes and are just as nervous as you are. Everyone there this morning were all smiles! It was great! I really do think that you have made the BIGGEST step --- the phone call. You will do great. They will work with you and all your ailments, just let them know, okay. It's not like a typical aerobic workout - that's why I love it! I did Jazzercise for 15 years! And have bad joints from it. That's why I chose to join Curves, I need exercise that is lower impact on my joints. This is it! You will love it Bev... I know you will! YES! I do think I received a great workout. It was more then I was doing at home - nothing! I just wore a blk stretch pant with a long Tee & a good pair of shoes... nothing special - nice!

I paid our area tax... so it will depend on what you pay there I guess. Reg. sign-up fee is $149.00 + $29.00 (yr contract), but because of the promo --- I PAID $49.00 (Fee) + $29.00 + tax. First Payment Total was $83.07 and because I went with the year contract I will have $30.89 ($29.00 + tax) put onto my Visa. The place here took a Credit Card if you don't want to have it taken from your checking... at least that was one of my options. So don't be afraid to ask questions., okay. I also went with my Medical List (yep, I said list)... I have had many surgeries, so I always keep a copy of dates, surgeries, Dr's & phone #'s & Emergency Phone #'s... I went prepared. I will be thinking of you Friday!! Keep in touch!

I think it's wonderful here too, Lynda... have met so many WONDERFUL people here!!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-17-2003 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:28 PM   #85  

Hey Sunny!!! I am so glad to hear that you had fun at Curves. I knew you would. Those inches will be coming off before you know it. I didnt go yesterday or today. I know I am being bad. I will get back in to it tomorrow. I promise.

cassandra
Old 09-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #86  
Bev

Ok since I have my first appointment on friday what do I wear. Should it be normal shorts or the gym type of shorts. I am even buying new sneakers so I am ready but scared.

Thanks
Bev
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #87  

Talking

Thanks Cassandra I hope they do come off... I am one sore pup tonight! Feel them muscles that I haven't used in awhile - that is for sure! Great seeing you! It's been awhile...

Bev... I saw ladies this morning in regular shorts, but as I said earlier ~ I just wore black stretch pant with an oversized Tee and a good pair of sneakers. That's all. Nothing fancy or expensive. Just wear something you can bend or move in comfortably. You will be just fine. Wish I could go with you, so you wouldn't be so frightened... but when the Lord has you by the hand, you are never alone.

You will be fine, you'll see. And you will have the best time.
Take Care now...

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-17-2003 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:13 PM   #88  

Bev, like Sunny said it really doesnt matter what you wear as long as your comfy. We have some that come in nurses outfits and some in slacks, and some in spandex. Just what ever you have is fine. I do think the new sneakers is a good idea. I have seen this one lady work out bare footed!!!!! They usually have good music. The best is when it is 140 beats per min. That really gets you going.

Good luck everyone!!!
Cassandra
Old 09-17-2003, 10:45 PM   #89  
Bev

Hi, yes I plan on wearing good shoes. RIght now I am looking at new balance 605 to use at curves. I just can;t decide what sneakers to get .I have such wide feet that it is hard to find shoes.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:19 PM   #90  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Sunny, you sound way into your new Curves experience. Good for you! It is really fun, isn't it. If you are getting sore, you really need to do the full stretching afterwards. Also, make sure to use the recovery stations for actually recovering. The other mistake I made at first was to not rest my head back against the equipment. I ended up with such a stiff neck before I learned!

A few have compared hours at their Curves. Ours is 6-1 and 4-7 with 8-11 on Saturday. Our owners are such sweeties. I had a cold and didn't show up for a week, and Judy called me at home to see how I was doing.

As far as discussion about what shoes to wear, it doesn't really matter from what I can see unless you are planning on working out super hard on the recovery stations. We have a lot of women who wear stocking feet. Quite a few wear sandals. The rest wear sneakers. I have the same foot problem as Bev and a knee still healing from a partially torn ACL, so I worry about good footwear normally. I wear Birkenstocks to work out there, and I haven't had any problems.

Clothing is also kind of a come as you are thing. I show up in workout clothes or work clothes, just depending on where I'm headed or where I'm coming from. All you need is something that allows enough freedom of movement.

Ok, this turned out to be a pretty long post, so I'd better get outta here! Take care all.

Andria

Last edited by qsilver; 09-17-2003 at 11:22 PM.
Closed Thread