3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   2014 - C25K - We're all runners! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293291-2014-c25k-were-all-runners.html)

RunningWild 10-11-2014 05:37 AM

Woo hoo! I did it! I ran for 20 minutes straight yesterday! :carrot: It wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either, my legs were complaining and my lungs weren't fully cooperative, but I just kept going and eventually the lady told me to start my cool down. I could've kept going for longer if I had to, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett (Post 5080277)
I just created the new signature a few days ago. I got back on the diet wagon in mid-September. I kept feeling overwhelmed by the amount of weight I need to loose. The signature is supposed to be a reminder to take it 5 pounds at a time.

That's a really good way to look at it! Losing 5 pounds 10 times sounds a lot less intimidating than having to lose 50 pounds. You only have 8 rounds left too. :)

Good luck with W4D1 today! :cheer:

kelijpa 10-12-2014 08:24 AM

Hi all,

I completed Week 6 day 3, psyching up for Week 7.
I did the whole thing last year but didn't stay with it after, so I have an additional goal this year of keeping up with the 30 minutes.

You all are doing great, it's a great program, isn't it?!

best to all, keep going :sunny:

Scarlett 10-12-2014 01:26 PM

I was supposed to run yesterday but the rainy weather stopped me. I therefore attempted W4D1 today after 3 days off. I struggled with the 5 min intervals. I ended up running 1-4 min interval and 4-3 min intervals instead of the required 2-5 min intervals and 2-3 min intervals. I still ran for a total of 16 min but in more and shorter intervals. I think my problem had more to do with pacing myself than my fitness level. I'm going to try the full W4 workout again tomorrow or Tuesday and see how I do. In any case I just realized that you run for a total of 9 min on week 3 and then jump up to a total of 16 min in week 4. This is quite a big increase. I'm not upset that I pooped out on the 5 min intervals, I still got a good workout in.

RunningWild 10-13-2014 08:04 AM

Beachy160, I do the same thing when passing people. Then I end up regretting it. :P You've done a lot of running, 5 out of 8 days. Wow! I'm fairly certain I'd die if I attempted that. :D Some rest is definitely in order.

kelijpa I just started Week 6 today, I can honestly say I prefer running it all in one go and not intervals. Today was harder than the the 20 minute run on Friday. Good luck with Week 7! You're almost done with the program again! :carrot:

Scarlett 16 minutes total is definitely a lot of running. I have a problem pacing myself as well, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. About time, considering I'm almost 2/3 done with the program. :lol:

-

Does anyone listen to music while running? I find it helps keep me motivated a lot, you have to be careful if you're running in traffic though. Certain songs motivate me so much it feels like I'm cheating. :lol: If you like electronic music, check out Feed Me - Rat Trap. That one makes me feel like I could keep going for hours even when I'm about to collapse otherwise, it's like I had a case of musical Red Bull. :woohoo:

I agree with kelijpa, this is a great program! Everyone's doing so well, too! :)

I really abuse smileys, can't help myself!

Scarlett 10-13-2014 12:51 PM

I always listen to music. I have an I-pod shuffle that I only use for running. I can clip it on to my shirt so that my arms are free. I only put high tempo type music on it. A lot of really corny stuff that keeps me going.

I completed W4D2 today. I think my lungs finally turned the corner. The workout was hard but I wasn't gasping for air at the end. It's nice to see myself improving.

RunningWild 10-13-2014 01:54 PM

Yay! You go girl! :carrot: The workouts are never easy in my experience, but I've kind of learned to deal with it. Guess C25K taught me some discipline as well. :D

I'd love an iPod Shuffle for my workouts, but I'm addicted to all my running apps and Spotify so I have to drag my big, clunky smartphone with me every time!

cantgetenoughchoc 10-13-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachy160 (Post 5080921)
cantgetenoughchoc, I was just thinking that it would be nice to join a beginning runner group; did you go?

After I wrote this message I got changed and into my running gear and was gonna go, but unfortunately I melted my only sports bra in the wash and so the wire was exposed and rubbing against my skin, so I couldn't go. :( It's crap too because I'm quite a big cup size so I can only get them from the one shop, and they have to order it in so it'll take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks! So it's already been 1 week since I last ran... and I can feel motivation slipping. So sad!

But I think it would have been a good idea! SO if you've got the opportunity, then you should go for it.

Scarlett 10-14-2014 06:50 PM

I finished W4D3 tonight. I felt pretty good running today. I definitely feel like I'm at the point where the program is getting easier. My original goal was to have week 7 finished by my race on November 1st. I'm still on pace to get there. I'm taking tomorrow off and will attempt W5D1 on Thursday.

cantgetenoughchoc I totally feel you with the sports bra. I'm also busty and I go to a specialty bra store to get fitted for sports bras. They are not cheap but totally worth it. After struggling with jiggle when exercising my whole life, running in a high quality sports bra feels incredible. Running is one of those things where you have to keep getting back on the wagon. You shouldn't loose too much after 1 week off. Good Luck!

RunningWild 10-16-2014 08:25 AM

cantgetenoughchoc, Aww, that sucks. :( Hope you can get a new sports bra soon! Looks like I'm the only one with small girls here.

Scarlett, Way to go! Good luck with week 5! Don't get too intimidated by W5D3, it sounds super scary but if you survive W5D2 you'll get through D3 as well, as long as you keep going and don't wait for it to end. :)

Beachy160, Yay! We had sunny weather here today for the first time in ages too, except it was still very windy. I think having good running shoes will definitely help you. I need to invest in some too, but I can't afford any at the moment. They're even more expensive over here, for example the Brooks Cascadia 9 cost $165 USD! :dizzy:

I finished W6D2 and it was a real pain in the butt, I have no idea what's going on. I even had an extra rest day because I had to help a friend move yesterday when I was supposed to run. I did finish it, but I was really winded and my legs felt like jelly. Hope I won't have as much trouble with W6D3 on Saturday!

Scarlett 10-16-2014 08:43 PM

Beachy: Before I fell off the running wagon, I had a thing where I never felt guilty about running related expenses. I never bought anything truly extravagant but I have expensive sports bras, expensive running headphones, I paid for a half marathon training group, etc. I found that spending money on running gear motivated me to work out more. I use Nike free +2 sneakers which were just under $100. I absolutely love them. You probably don’t have to pay $160 for a pair of good running sneakers, but if you really want them I say go for it.

RunningWild: You are making excellent progress!! I’m sure you will bounce back. The progress in this program can be a bit uneven at times.

I just finished W5D1, I got next to no sleep last night (storms, allergies, etc) then spent a full day at work on my feet. I still got threw it (albeit, my pace is pretty slow). I’m starting to feel like a runner again.

RunningWild 10-17-2014 07:24 AM

Scarlett, thank you! You did an awesome job, running W5D1 despite getting almost no sleep and being on your feet all day! That's really inspiring!

How important would you say good running shoes are? I'm on a budget but if they really make a difference I think I'll save up and get some. That should keep me motivated to keep running when I'm done with C25k.

RunningWild 10-17-2014 10:25 AM

Beachy160, good luck with W2D3! Wow, you're walking a lot! I hope you can get some new shoes that are easier on your shins.

Trying them locally and ordering online is a great idea! I think I'm going to steal that idea. :sssh: I'm a size 9 and also have wide feet so I know what you mean about not being confident buying online. I feel if I'm going to invest $80 or so in a pair of shoes I'm going to be running in, I definitely want them to be a perfect fit!

The $165 price is the online price here! Everything is really expensive (e.g. over $8 per gallon of gas :dizzy:) and I'm always super jealous browsing Zappos with their prices and huge selection of shoes.

Enjoy your weekend of yummy food and beachy beverages! :sunny: I hope you have some luck finding shoes you like at the mall today, even if you end up ordering them online. :)

Scarlett 10-17-2014 09:15 PM

I just completed W5D2. I'm taking tomorrow off and attempting W5D3 on Sunday. I'm going to try and do it by distance instead of the 20 min. I mapped out a 2 mile course on google maps around my neighborhood. I will feel amazing if I manage to actually jog 2 miles without stopping.

I’m definitely not a running shoes expert. This is just my 2 cents. I knew someone who was a big proponent of “barefoot” type shoes i.e. the vibrams. The logic made sense to me, that the more naturally your feet can move, the more your foot/leg muscles get built up and less injury. At the same time, I wasn’t about to run without socks and found the truly barefoot shoes too thin soled for my tastes. The ones I use are the Nike free +2 which are not a real barefoot shoe but rather an in-between. They are lightweight and the soles are flexible but they still provide some support. I also just find them incredibly comfortable; I didn’t even need to break them in. After a year and a half of use they show almost no wear and still feel like new. I believe several brands make a similar shoe (flexible sole, lightweight, etc). I couldn’t tell you if running shoes are important or not. My thinking is that if your feet are not bothering you, you’re probably alright. I also have to wear running/athletic socks. I originally ran with cotton socks and they gave me horrible blisters and my feet got gross and sweaty.

This is the sports bra I use. There is a specialty bra store in my area that carries them in higher sizes and I get fitted. They are a god send. http://www.amazon.com/Goddess-Sport-Bra/dp/B000655TUA. I’m a 38/40 G/H and definitely need the support.

One big advantage to re-starting is that I already know what gear I like and what works for me. When I first started there was a lot of trial, error and research related to sports bras, ipods, shoes, etc.

Beachy: Most online retailers let you return stuff free of charge (they pay the return shipping). I would just double check the return policy before purchasing anything. Good Luck with W2D3 IMO the first few weeks are the toughest, just keep at it and soldier though.

Scarlett 10-18-2014 09:25 PM

I finished the W5D3 2 mile run earlier today in 22 minutes. This was a much better outcome than I expected. I originally planned to take today off, and do it tomorrow. Then I started spotting with TOM and knew I'd be a bloated mess by tomorrow. Also It was a very breezy fall day, perfect for running. I find it amazing how much progress I've made in a short 5 weeks. It's been wonderful to have this thread to post about my runs and to keep my motivation up. I initially felt intimidated trying to do this program at a heavier weight but it hasn't been much of an issue. Thanks for the Support!!!!

Scarlett 10-20-2014 09:25 PM

Beachy: Good Luck!! I really struggled with week 3, then sometime during week 4 my lungs caught up and the runs started getting easier. Keep Going!!!

I just finished W6D1, I got threw it pretty easy after the 2 mile run on Sat.