3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   2014 - C25K - We're all runners! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/293291-2014-c25k-were-all-runners.html)

kelijpa 09-28-2014 08:34 AM

Hello all!
Did week 5 day 3 Friday, this is my second time doing it also, I did it last year around this time, so I know I can do it, still fight the demons that say I can't do it...but I'm doing it

great job everyone! :sunny:

Scarlett 09-29-2014 01:28 PM

I'm another re-starter. This seems like a great thread to jump into. I completed C25K in 2011. I then worked my way up to a half marathon in 2012. I absolutely loved running. I'm naturally a very anxious, type A person and the running really helped with that. The area I live in hosts a bunch of 5k type races and I enjoyed doing them and collecting the t-shirts.

Unfortunately, I spent the last 2 years trying to straighten out my career. This included work, graduate school and a bunch more. As much as I love running, it became less of a priority. I also put on a ton of weight. I now finally have a weekend again and am no longer running around like a nut.

I started last week and completed W2D1 today. I'm trying to take it slow. At 230 pounds, I am much heavier than the last time I did this. It feels great to be getting back into the habit of planning my day around when I want to run.

cantgetenoughchoc 09-29-2014 02:34 PM

Wow if you completed a half marathon you definitely know what it takes! Good luck!

I just did week 3 day 1. I haven't been very good lately, I only did 2 days in week 2. I'm running on my own now as I'm living away temporarily in hospital during my training, and it's taken a bit of the fun out of it. And also everywhere from here is downhill, so I end up running downhill the majority of the way and I feel like I'm cheating. Week 3 day 1 went brilliantly and was very easy, so I'm considering trying Week 4 day 1 on wednesday (pretty much downhill), and then back to week 3 on Friday when I'm back in my lovely flat home town? Does that sound ok or am I really cheating?

cantgetenoughchoc 10-01-2014 03:20 PM

I ended up skipping to week 5 day 1 today - and it was a success! I'll be going back home on friday and doing it on flat ground so it'll be interesting to see how that goes...

Scarlett 10-01-2014 03:26 PM

cantgetenoughchoc: Thanks for the encouragement!! I definitely find that the program is a little easier doing it for the second time. I already found the running gear I like. I know some little mental tricks and how to control my breathing. I also know that I can do it. I wouldn't obsess about the details. As long as you're getting out and running on a regular basis, you are improving. I always just did the workouts in order of the program. If I have a little more pep in my step one day, I just push myself more in the workout I'm on. To each their own.

As for me I completed W2D2 today. I got through the workout but felt a little heavy running. Yesterday was supposed to be my rest day, but I spent it in NYC and did a lot of walking. I also overdid it on the food and drink. I woke up today feeling kind of blah, but still got my run in.

Scarlett 10-03-2014 11:26 PM

I finished W2D3 today :carrot: :carrot:

I also signed up for my first race (since restarting). It's a little 2 mile bar run in the first week of November. I should be far enough in the program to complete it by then.

Scarlett 10-05-2014 11:21 AM

I completed W3D1 today. This one really kicked my butt. I jogged the 3 min intervals as slowly as possible. I still barely got through it. My legs felt alright but my lungs need to catch up. I got so winded. Last time I did C25K, I remember the transitions to the longer intervals being the most difficult. I just need to get through it.

RunningWild 10-06-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett (Post 5078505)
I completed W3D1 today. This one really kicked my butt. I jogged the 3 min intervals as slowly as possible. I still barely got through it. My legs felt alright but my lungs need to catch up. I got so winded. Last time I did C25K, I remember the transitions to the longer intervals being the most difficult. I just need to get through it.

I remember W3D1, I'm pretty sure it has its own special place in h*ll! :lol: It makes you run four times as long as you did just 2 weeks ago. That one really kicked my butt too!

I'm currently at W5D1 and it was easier than I expected (in fact, I had a much harder time with W3 and W4) because once I get into it it's easier to keep going than to constantly start and stop for me, but W5D3 still scares me. 20 minutes of jogging! I don't think I've jogged that much total in my life before C25k! :D

Scarlett 10-07-2014 04:01 PM

Good luck with the 20 min jog!!

I just did W3D2. My lungs were on fire by the end of it, but I got through it. It probably didn't help that I got next to no sleep last night. Hopefully my third crack at this workout will be the charm.

RunningWild 10-08-2014 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett (Post 5079407)
Good luck with the 20 min jog!!

I just did W3D2. My lungs were on fire by the end of it, but I got through it. It probably didn't help that I got next to no sleep last night. Hopefully my third crack at this workout will be the charm.

Thank you and good luck to you with W3D3! :)

I'm sort of in the same boat, I got about 2 and a half hours of sleep last night and today I have to run 8 minutes. Sleep really impacts performance in my experience, but we'll just have to push ourselves through. You did a great job finishing W3D2 despite that! :cp:

Scarlett 10-08-2014 12:23 PM

I felt a bit better completing W3D3 today. I felt winded but not like my lungs caught fire. I'm going to take the next 2 days off, give my body a chance to rest and then attempt W4D1 on Saturday. If I feel shaky with the week 4 workouts, I may keep at it for a bit longer than 3 days. This could give my body a chance to catch up. As it is, I'm jogging ridiculously slow. At around 230 pounds, I don't want to push myself too much. I guess I need to wait and see how it goes.

RunningWild 10-09-2014 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett (Post 5079705)
I felt a bit better completing W3D3 today. I felt winded but not like my lungs caught fire. I'm going to take the next 2 days off, give my body a chance to rest and then attempt W4D1 on Saturday. If I feel shaky with the week 4 workouts, I may keep at it for a bit longer than 3 days. This could give my body a chance to catch up. As it is, I'm jogging ridiculously slow. At around 230 pounds, I don't want to push myself too much. I guess I need to wait and see how it goes.

You go girl! In my opinion you've got the worst behind you. Running 2 sets of 8 minutes yesterday was a piece of cake in comparison with how I felt doing week 3. In fact, I ended up just running a few minutes extra because I was still about half a kilometer from home (I'm slow too :o) and decided to run all the way home just because. :) I'm feeling positive I'll be able to run for 20 minutes straight tomorrow, as intimidating as it still feels! :dizzy:

I also take 2 days off before starting new C25k weeks to give my body time to recover fully. So it's Monday, Wednesday and Friday I run, weekends are for recovery. It's a good idea to not push yourself too hard, better to be safe than sorry! I'm rooting for you though, you'll kick W4's butt! :cheer2:

Edit: I love the progress thingie you have in your signature! I just noticed it!

cantgetenoughchoc 10-09-2014 12:04 PM

Argh I'm scared.
I did week 5 day 1 again but this time on flat ground near my house and it was awful! I managed it, but I was so slow! And that was 5 days ago and I haven't ran since! Between being discouraged from my painful last run and the weather I've managed to avoid running so far. But there is an informal running group "for beginners" on tonight with a society at my university and I have been assured by the leader that I won't look like an idiot if I stop and start all the time.. but I've been told that they're to run about 2.5 miles tonight! I think I'll die. I'm scared I'll make a fool of myself because I genuinely think I'm the most beginner one there, but I want to get into it because I think it will help keep me motivated. :/ Still haven't decided what I'm doing and it's in 40 mins!

Good luck RunningWild. You're just ahead of me so I'll see how you do :P

Oh and I can empathise with the lungs on fire thing Scarlett, that's the worst part of running!

RunningWild 10-09-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beachy160 (Post 5080107)
I started C25K this week. I am both excited and scared to start running again for the first time in 30 years. I quit in my pre-teens and have only walked since. Better late than never I guess. I am in the process of moving but plan to start posting regularly next week. I have officially completed W1D1 and W1D2 and guess what? Nothing is freezing over. :lol:

Welcome to 3FC and this thread, Beachy! It's really amazing how fast you can progress with this program if you stick with it. It feels like I was doing W1D1 yesterday, which I *barely* managed! I was sore for several days after that one. :D And now I'm already about to run 20 minutes tomorrow! :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantgetenoughchoc (Post 5080115)
Argh I'm scared.
I did week 5 day 1 again but this time on flat ground near my house and it was awful! I managed it, but I was so slow!

I'm slow too, it's more like C23k for me like someone else said earlier in this thread. :lol: I'll worry about distance and speed later, just focusing on time for now. 3k would still be amazing considering I could barely run 200 yards a month ago!

Quote:

And that was 5 days ago and I haven't ran since! Between being discouraged from my painful last run and the weather I've managed to avoid running so far. But there is an informal running group "for beginners" on tonight with a society at my university and I have been assured by the leader that I won't look like an idiot if I stop and start all the time.. but I've been told that they're to run about 2.5 miles tonight! I think I'll die. I'm scared I'll make a fool of myself because I genuinely think I'm the most beginner one there, but I want to get into it because I think it will help keep me motivated. :/ Still haven't decided what I'm doing and it's in 40 mins!

2.5 miles! Yikes! I'm sure there are others who are beginners too, maybe you'll find a running buddy in the group who is on your level if you go. :) I'm too scared to join running groups because I would make a fool of myself. Snails probably pass me laughing when I "run". :o

Did you decide to go?

Quote:

Good luck RunningWild. You're just ahead of me so I'll see how you do :P

Thanks! Good luck to you too, we can do this! :high:

Scarlett 10-09-2014 08:03 PM

RunningWild: Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I’m sure you’ll do fine with the 20 min run. I just created the new signature a few days ago. I got back on the diet wagon in mid-September. I kept feeling overwhelmed by the amount of weight I need to loose. The signature is supposed to be a reminder to take it 5 pounds at a time.

Beachy160: That’s Incredible!!! I remember doing this for the first time in 2011 after never running before in my life. I found it so empowering. I think that doing this program in a situation like yours makes it even more gratifying when you finish. Good Luck!!

cantgetenoughchoc: Just keep at it and you’ll progress eventually. Last time I did this I remember the progress being extremely uneven. It just comes with the territory.