Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Default Headaches after exercising?

So today is the third day that I've done an hour on the elliptical (not consecutively), and after each time I got a pretty persistent headache afterwards. I've been trying to reduce the amount of pain reliever I use, but I find that is the only thing that relieves them (I usually can lie down for an hour or so and be okay).

I drink a lot of water while working out, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. I generally don't eat a lot beforehand (I find I get an upset stomach), but I like to eat something high in fiber/protein after working out.

Any tips on what might be causing it? I can always take pain reliever before I start working out to prevent it, but I'd like that to be my last resort if at all possible
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

I get an occasional headache too after working out. I find on the days I get the headache is the days I really push myself and I haven't had a ton of calories. I tried my bf's suggestion and I drink a protein shake about an hour before I work out and I find my headache starts right after I finish and only lasts for about 5 minutes and disappears when I cool down instead of the normal 30-45 minute headache.
Monkeyruler164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/see ticker/135 (HW210-220)

Height: 5'5'' (technically 5'5.4'' but whos counting lol)

hmm...my first guess would have been dehydration. idk then. working out has relieved/ decreased my incidence of migraines
curlyfroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 137/ticker/117

Height: 5'4"

I would have suggested dehydration as well - exercising requires a LOT of water (more than I thought so at first)... you could always have a little post-gym snack of some protein (i.e., low fat yoghurt, some tuna, or peanut butter) to help restore energy.
francesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

It still could be dehydration. You may be drinking a lot of water while exercising however that may just be the amount you need to replace what you sweated out. Are you drinking water throughout the day to combat normal dehydration?

Besides that though, I'm not sure of any other solutions. Hope they go away.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

Check your blood pressure.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Thanks all for the responses!! I drink about 1-2 16oz bottles of water during exercise, and anywhere between 3-5 more throughout the day. My blood pressure is fairly normal, but I don't check it right after exercise, so that could be it. I do another hour tomorrow, so I'll see how that goes Appreciate the help!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #8  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Whenever I have had trouble with headaches after exercise it was always because I didn't drink enough water or did not eat enough. I know blood pressure can be a big factor with people as well.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffinlovin View Post
So today is the third day that I've done an hour on the elliptical (not consecutively), and after each time I got a pretty persistent headache afterwards. I've been trying to reduce the amount of pain reliever I use, but I find that is the only thing that relieves them (I usually can lie down for an hour or so and be okay).

I drink a lot of water while working out, so I don't think I'm dehydrated. I generally don't eat a lot beforehand (I find I get an upset stomach), but I like to eat something high in fiber/protein after working out.

Any tips on what might be causing it? I can always take pain reliever before I start working out to prevent it, but I'd like that to be my last resort if at all possible
It's usually dehydration when you get headaches either during or after working out. I notice you stated you drink water while you're working out-and you say 3 to 5 more during the day. It may just be that you need more water than other individuals during the day. Try drinking at least 16 to 20 oz's. about an hour before you work-out--and still while you're working out to see if that doesn't cure the problem.

When I get a headache associated with exercise it's always been because of dehydration. Especially if you're sweating a lot during the work-out. Some of us (like me) are capable of sweating out a pint of water every 1/2 hour during a good work-out.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-20-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote