Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #1  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink Tennis

Hey there,

I am wondering if anyone else likes or plays tennis?

I used to play more than I do now, but I am slowly trying to get back into it. At one point I played quite a bit and I went to a tennis camp called Harry Hopman/Saddlebrook near Tampa, FL for about a week with a family member. I think Pete Sampras was playing a match down there when we were there, I am not kidding, it is a famous resort! It was fun but a lot of hard work! I definitely lost weight that week!

Tomorrow I have a private 1/2 hour lesson with an assistant head pro at a tennis club. I am trying to find a tennis partner near me to rally with, there are local courts near me. I want to improve, right now I am hitting some balls into the net, not as many as before but I hope that the lesson tomorrow helps. I am taking a few lessons, about 3 of them. I want to find a partner to rally with but I am nervous, so I have been playing against myself. I bought about 12 tennis balls and am hitting them into the other side of the court. I just want to play for fun, but I want to improve.

So, any other tennis fans/players out there?
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I love tennis, both watching and playing but more so watching as it's such a workout!!

My fiance and I were playing at courts on the outskirts of where we're living until recently when it's gotten way too warm to do anything outside. As I said before it's a great workout, we would try to stay out for about an hour but I was usually exhausted and super sweaty after 30 minutes.

It's nice to find an activity that you really enjoy so it seems less like exercise and more like fun!!!

Good luck with your lessons and trying to find a partner.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #3  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

I totally know Saddlebrook, I was a tennis player myself, played a few important tournaments as a junior (Orange Bowl, Sunshine Cup etc) and used to travel a lot. I think itīs a great workout, my problem is that after being pretty good at it I gained a lot of weight and of course havenīt played in a while so Iīm scared to do it, maybe it sounds stupid but I think people will expect me to be really good but after all this weight gain, loss of physical ability and everything Iīm scared Iīll suck and everybody will be disappointed. Like I still canīt look at it as something relaxing and fun but stress about it...
But hope you find someone to play with and enjoy yourself!
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Well, I don't really know how to play tennis but have always wanted to learn how. Right now I'm in a cardio tennis class (2x a week) and while I've only met one other person in the class that has never played either, I'm having fun and learning something. I signed up by myself too. I encourage those of you that want to, to give it a try. I sometimes try to talk myself out of going to class but am always glad I went. And even though I'm not good at all the people in my class, and the instructors, are encouraging. As far as I know there is no weight limit in tennis. Go for it!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh yes I love it! I play by myself at the nearby handball courts. If you're not near handball courts find a wall. It's an awesome workout. I have a tennis permit in nyc which allows me to use the public courts and once in a while I find a friend who's up to it to play with. Hitting into the net sounds a little boring, it's the bounce back that keeps my heart rate up. Mind you, I don't know the actual rules about how to play but I'm really good at keeping a volley.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

I am a lifelong tennis player. Singles is another class than doubles. Singles is quite a workout, I am working my way to doing that, I mostly play doubles.

Fiftyfive if you were good enough for those tournaments which are quite impressive then it should come back fast. I was never that good but have played most of my life. The muscle memory doesn't go away. I had a layoff off around a year or so and within minutes literally I was hitting pretty well.

The muscle memory sticks around a LONG time.

Losermom the flip side to muscle memory is the ONLY way to get good at tennis is to play tennis. It will come. But learning how to judge the ball and hit on the run, it does become second nature. But only by playing.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 06-10-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do it and mixed doubles is the best. After not playing for two decades, my serve was lousy so I bought ten tennis balls and spend an hour every now and again at an empty court practicing. It's great exercise and a lot of fun!

Last edited by IanG; 06-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #8  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Talking

Hi everyone,

I am glad that others are interested in this thread and this wonderful sport!

I just had my 1/2 hr. lesson, it was a lot of fun and hard work but definitely worth it! I have another lesson next week with the same tennis pro and I am really looking forward to it! I learned a lot today regarding my backhand and serve. I guess my forehand isn't that bad!

I demo'ed a Babolat Pure Drive racket, I love it, what a great racquet. It isn't too expensive, the one I currently have is a racquet from Amazon.com. The one I have isn't a bad racquet but it is for beginners. What do others think of Babolat??

Take care!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote