Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #1  

Default Does Anyone Else Hate Running?

So I got to start running tomorrow, and I'm literally dreading it.
You may ask why run if you hate it. The answer is simple:
Running gets the most fat off me.

I've never been able to stick to a really good diet, and always tend to cut up(royally) with calories, sweets, and generally deliciously edible junk food(Jood?).

This was slightly okay when I was younger, because I worked out and was at some point on the track team(I tried it for a year). Even though I quit track, I continued to run every other day more or less. I had times where I would not run for a few months, but then I'd come right back to it. I disliked running, but I knew it was keeping me in shape so I continued. During this time I also lifted weights, used treadmills/elliptical machines, and worked out to various at home workout DVDs.

Now cue to me 4 years later: I'm out of shape, 40 lbs heavier, and trying to make a new me!

What I've tried/done so far:

Fasting - I made it a whole day and half before gobbling down everything in sight. It was too funny. I was on tumblr and I saw a url/username that really made sense:Eff-It-And-Eat-Everything!

Binged on water - I read somewhere online that this girl lost 50 pounds in 2 months by drinking 300 oz(about 18 or 19 bottles) per day and eating 1 serving of carrots with beans every night. I started out trying to drink 8 or 9 bottles per day, but that got me feeling sick, and I figured with all the stuff I've heard about water intoxication I wouldn't chance it. Good news is this got me more into water than I was, so now I'm drinking it regularly, whereas before I was only drinking juice.

Started Eating Carrots - I shred 1 or 2 carrots a day and add them to my soup and eat. Of course thats not all I eat. I'm slowly trying to make that my sole meal though.

Tae Bo Basics - I've been doing this tape every day for about 3 weeks now. I sometimes do it twice a day and I'm starting to feel more in shape and confident when I do it.

That about brings us present, as far as the steps I've taken so far. Now that I'm starting to feel like my old self, I'm thinking, "This(Tae Bo) is great, but this alone is not going to help me achieve my fitness goals; I need to run." But theres just one thing: I hate running. Sometimes when I run, I stop. Like I'll run 2 or 3 blocks, and then stop and walk. I really hate that cause it reminds me how terrible I am at cross country running, and how bad my stamina is!
Anyway rant over! Tomorrow I start running. I'd LOVE to tell you that I'm going to complete a mile run in 20 or 30 minutes, but knowing me...it will probably take me a good hour to an hour and a half.

Anyone else hate running, but feel its a necessary burden?
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I hate running. I do it because I started the C25K program and feel as though I need to finish. I'm currently running entirely to improve my fitness level and not to lose weight. In fact I lost 90% of my weight doing no exercise and since I've introduced it into my new lifestyle I've lost about 5 pounds in 2.5 months.

Being able to run 2-3 blocks is great, when I first started 30 seconds was my max and that was tough!

Also it seems as though you've tried all the fad diets which are never going to work in the long term. If you really want to find something that'll work as a lifestyle I'd recommend eating good, healthy, normal food just smaller amounts of it. It really really works. I've calorie counted since November and have lost 40 pounds. As I said before 35 of them were in 5 months and that includes a 2 week vacation which put me up a couple pounds. There aren't tricks to losing weight you just need to pick a reasonable plan/diet and stick with it!

Good luck.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustcant View Post
S

Fasting - I made it a whole day and half before gobbling down everything in sight. It was too funny. I was on tumblr and I saw a url/username that really made sense:Eff-It-And-Eat-Everything!

Binged on water - I read somewhere online that this girl lost 50 pounds in 2 months by drinking 300 oz(about 18 or 19 bottles) per day and eating 1 serving of carrots with beans every night. I started out trying to drink 8 or 9 bottles per day, but that got me feeling sick, and I figured with all the stuff I've heard about water intoxication I wouldn't chance it. Good news is this got me more into water than I was, so now I'm drinking it regularly, whereas before I was only drinking juice.

Started Eating Carrots - I shred 1 or 2 carrots a day and add them to my soup and eat. Of course thats not all I eat. I'm slowly trying to make that my sole meal though.

Tae Bo Basics - I've been doing this tape every day for about 3 weeks now. I sometimes do it twice a day and I'm starting to feel more in shape and confident when I do it.

Sometimes when I run, I stop. Like I'll run 2 or 3 blocks, and then stop and walk. I really hate that cause it reminds me how terrible I am at cross country running, and how bad my stamina is!
Anyway rant over! Tomorrow I start running. I'd LOVE to tell you that I'm going to complete a mile run in 20 or 30 minutes, but knowing me...it will probably take me a good hour to an hour and a half.

Ok well at a normal pace I walk a mile in about 20min so don't over exaggerate what you can't do, you're not doing yourself any favors. You'd have to be walking like a turtle to complete a mile in an hour. Get your self a good pedometer or running up, crank up the music and you'll see you can do much better than that.

Binging on water.... uhm that sounds ridiculous, can't believe you fell for that one my friend. Surely you must know that fad diets fade fast. Just try eating more nutrient dense foods, pass on the processed or fast foods, and put a lid on the sweets.

The good thing about running or any other fitness program is that you start to make progress. Ok so you can run 2 blocks and then you walk. So what? If you keep at it you'll be able to run 3 blocks next week, maybe 4 blocks the folllowing week. If you really want to like running then run with purpose. Choose a run/walk program like a C25K and follow it. Trust the program, trust the process and you will see results.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #4  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I used to hate running. And then after a couple of months, I stopped hating it. Now I freaking love it. I mean there are still bad days, and sometimes I hate it while I'm doing it, but overall running is one of my favorite things now.

One of the things that helped me was realizing that it doesn't matter that I'm slow. No one but me cares, so why should I care? A mile is a mile, no matter what the pace. It's not a competition. I still struggle with it sometimes. Many of the smaller local small-town races I start knowing there's a very real chance that I will finish dead last. I just tell myself at least I'm out there doing it and Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which is better than Did Not Start. If you need walk breaks, take them. Many people do. It's really no big deal. I have NEVER done a race where I didn't see people taking walk breaks.

Another thing that I remind myself is that it's supposed to be hard. If it was easy, it wouldn't be so rewarding. And that complete sense of accomplishment combined with the runners high is one of the BEST feelings ever.

It still feels insane to me when people tell me that my running is inspiring, but maybe it will be helpful for you. I started with C25K on July 24, 2012. Less than a year ago. I couldn't even get through Week 1 Day 1 when I started. I kept doing it and repeating weeks/days as needed. 6 months after I started, I ran (and completed!) my first half marathon. I've now down many 5ks, 2 10ks, and 3 half marathons. And I will start full marathon training in August. This has all been in just a year. Stick with it, and you really will see progress quickly.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Ok well at a normal pace I walk a mile in about 20min so don't over exaggerate what you can't do, you're not doing yourself any favors.
You were right I walked/ran a mile and a half. I think I was over exaggerating because I hadn't really been running in about 3 years.

Quote:
You'd have to be walking like a turtle to complete a mile in an hour.
Completed it in about 25 minutes .

Quote:
crank up the music and you'll see you can do much better than that.
I started off with Bullet Proof dubstep remix, but things didn't really start poppin' until I played L's Anthem by Lil' Durk. I likes my workout music Ratchet!

Quote:
Choose a run/walk program like a C25K and follow it. Trust the program, trust the process and you will see results.
Thanks for the advice lady
Ijustcant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
You were right I walked/ran a mile and a half. I think I was over exaggerating because I hadn't really been running in about 3 years.

Completed it in about 25 minutes .

I started off with Bullet Proof dubstep remix, but things didn't really start poppin' until I played L's Anthem by Lil' Durk. I likes my workout music Ratchet!

Thanks for the advice lady
Oh good so you're neither a turtle nor my great grandmother in terms of speed

No thanks necessary. And I aint no lady... I'm a wannabe
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #7  

Quote:
So I got to start running tomorrow, and I'm literally dreading it.
You may ask why run if you hate it. The answer is simple:
Running gets the most fat off me.

I've never been able to stick to a really good diet, and always tend to cut up(royally) with calories, sweets, and generally deliciously edible junk food(Jood?).

This was slightly okay when I was younger, because I worked out and was at some point on the track team(I tried it for a year). Even though I quit track, I continued to run every other day more or less. I had times where I would not run for a few months, but then I'd come right back to it. I disliked running, but I knew it was keeping me in shape so I continued. During this time I also lifted weights, used treadmills/elliptical machines, and worked out to various at home workout DVDs.

Now cue to me 4 years later: I'm out of shape, 40 lbs heavier, and trying to make a new me!

That about brings us present, as far as the steps I've taken so far. Now that I'm starting to feel like my old self, I'm thinking, "This(Tae Bo) is great, but this alone is not going to help me achieve my fitness goals; I need to run." But theres just one thing: I hate running. Sometimes when I run, I stop. Like I'll run 2 or 3 blocks, and then stop and walk. I really hate that cause it reminds me how terrible I am at cross country running, and how bad my stamina is!

If you hate doing something--the odds are highly likely that you're not going to stick with it. Maybe try something new that you do like to do. Bike riding--swimming--aerobics--or even a game. I used to play racquetball--and that is a real workout if you can find someone to play with that is just a little better than yourself.

There's all kinds of things that can keep you in shape--just find your niche and you'll not only take it off--but keep it off.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #8  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Well I can tell you that I HATED running, but I wanted so badly to be able to do it. Right now I'm in week 6 of C25K and I freakin' love it!

I think the thing was that while I was bad at running, I didn't enjoy it, but when I got better at running I started to like it. Last week I ran 2 miles non-stop, which is a really big deal for me.

The one thing about your post that concerns me though is that you say your goal is to have one meal consisting of soup with carrot... Unless that bowl of soup is 1300+ calories, I'd strongly advise against that. Especially if you're taking up running, or really any fitness regime. Your body needs fuel to work efficiently!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 06-10-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: typo
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

I used to get a physical feeling of dread when they would make students run on PE. Now that I am choosing to do it (VERY incrementally), I actually am starting to enjoy it. I hope you find the same! Good luck!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote