Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 287/275/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Does running in place count?

I am doing a challenge and near the end of the first part (1 out of 3 parts) I have to begin jogging. Can I run in place? I do not want to go running outside for a number of reasons. 1- Embarrassment. It will be hard and I dont want to be outside running until I know I can at least make it around the block. Some people may see this as a stupid reason but I gotta do things in my own time. 2- Location. I live in a bad area. Just this week 2 people got stabbed. Why you say? Oh just because they looked at someone. Yeah. We want to move but moneyyyy is always a problem. -.-
So until I move away from **** city I will not be running outside.
3- Cant afford a gym and have no treadmill. Man writing this I feel like I complain a lot, I am sorry for that.
Sooo can I jog in place and get results still?
pixie3208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #2  
Profile Pic at 190 Lb

S/C/G: 213/171/128

Height: 5'5"

maybe get one of those mini tramp looking things to jog on...I would think jogging in place would count...it's the activity and keeping moving that is the key
KigerCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I don't see why not. I do the walking at home videos and some of that is walking in place. I am usually pretty sweaty. They are pretty much the only exercise I did during the winter.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Good for you for trying to think of alternatives!

I think jogging in place definitely counts as activity/exercise, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it would be the same as running. IMHO, I think you'd use slightly different body mechanics to run in place. You wouldn't be using your hips/glutes as much to propel your body forward. So maybe it'd be more quad work of picking up your legs repeatedly. Also, you'd be landing on your feet differently vs when you run.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, definitely find a way to make exercise work for your situation! I'm just saying I wouldn't jog in place for 3 weeks and then think I should be able to run a mile with no problems

Best of luck!!

ETA - if you're worried about making it around the block, I do think that any activity that helps you increase your cardio ability will help you eventually get around the block.

Last edited by KindaSortaAthlete; 06-09-2013 at 11:28 PM.
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #5  

Thanks guys!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

For me, the main issue is boredom with a repetitive motion. But there's a lot you can do with running-in-place movements.

Running stairs (if you have them).
Jumping rope or just jumping.
Dancing for varied motion and to make it fun.

I think the main issue is working up a sweat and building endurance. Rather than the specific exercise.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I think you would be burning calories and building muscle because you are moving your body. Probably not as much as running outside but it's better than nothing. The important thing is to get moving so I think is a great first step!
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It definitely burns calories but I wouldn't compare it to running outside or on a treadmill. Running in place gets a little boring, you may want to add some jumping jacks, jump rope, knee highs, might as well engage in a whole aerobic routine.

Are you in nyc? You could drive or take the subway somewhere where there is a track or a park. Instead of going to the gym go to a better neighborhood to run with peace of mind. You're allowed to leave your immediate area for example, we live in a nice area but we go trick or treating for Halloween in a different area. Why not?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #9  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

It's different but I'd count it for your challenge if you don't have any alternatives.

A while back, I was into running. I tried running outside first, but I couldn't last more than a couple of minutes. I felt self-conscious running around my block in two minute spurts.

So then I started jogging in place at home for a few weeks to build up endurance and it helped. When I returned outside, I found that for me running in place for 30 minutes felt the same, exertion-wise, as running outside for 15. Still, it helped me comfortably progress to 15.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #10  

thanks everyone. and no wannabeskinny I am not in nyc. We dont drive so going to a different town is not something I will be doing. We are working on saving to move. But you cant get blood from a stone so with almost no extra money it will be at least a year before we can even hope to get out of here
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

This will sound really stupid - but have you looked to see if there are any parks or bike paths near you? Where you could walk a short distance to get away from the bad area? Also what about a school nearby? They usually leave their tracks open for people to use.

The reason I ask is, when we moved to our house, we had NO idea for YEARS that just up the block is a bike path that connects to another and is a 25 mile round trip. And then we found out while riding on the bike path, oh yeah, there is a middle school with a track that we could run on. And a mile down the road is another really nice park with a run/walk/bike path. And then in another direction a nice park with mt biking trails.

I live right on the border of the not so nice area in my city and have felt a little uncomfortable while running (um yeah 7 yr old flashing a knife at me ) but once I get on the bike path I usually feel ok. So I do get that and understand! But I just wanted to throw that out there because really, we did not know we were so close to all of those things!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #12  

There is a very pretty nice park a few blocks away. But I was specifically told to never go there alone as "things happen" Life as of right now is preeeettttyyy shitty
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #13  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I say kudos to you for looking for alternatives! That shows you have the will, and where there's a will there's a way! One thing I've had to learn is any exercise is better than nothing. I used to have to idea (excuse, really) that if I couldn't fit in a complete workout with cardio and strength then what was the point. I've realized that ANYTHING beats sitting on my rear! So, today the baby woke up early and I only got in 15 min on the elliptical. Doesn't mean I sit around all day waiting for another perfect opportunity to come along. Instead, I take the kids outside and climb up and down the deck stairs while they play, or jump rope with my daughter, or use the 20lb baby as a weight to lift, lol. Every little bit helps, and I think you have the mindset to make the best of the situation you're in until something more ideal comes along
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #14  

Running in place is still burning calories--but you really won't be using the same muscles--that you will be using when running. So going from running in place to jogging is going to be like starting all over again.

A bad neighborhood? Is there someplace close that you can go--to where you feel safe running around a park--school playground or other? How about a treadmill by joining a gym?

As far as what you think you'll look like to others? It's time to get rid of that mindset--it spells failure from the get-go. NO one looks pretty when they're jogging and no one is going to pay any attention to another runner on the sidewalk--regardless of your size--how exhausted or sweaty you are. In fact wear your sweat as a badge of honor--at least you're doing something. And it's the end result of all that sweat and hard work that you can take to the bank of success.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

I started off running in place and got bored quickly. But that is me. I tried to run outside, since I could jog in place for a good 40 minutes straight...yeah....nope. I couldn't even get 2 minutes in outside! MUCH different body mechanics!

Have you thought of the Couch to 5K program? I know it has helped me tons. I now get a mile plus some under my belt before I start wear out. And I found it is super relaxing listening to the iPod and having the breeze whip around me.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote