Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/175

Height: 5"4.5

Default Not Burning Enough

I feel like burning just 300 calories in a workout isn't enough. How can I amp it up? When I go to curves, I do treadmill first, then the 2 rounds of the circuit. My diet is around 1400-1500 calories a day, with a slip up last night and this morning .... however I'm back on track today.

What are the best high calorie burning ways to workout???
goldiegirlrtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I can't tell you this from experience as I'm just starting. But I've done A LOT of research and heavy weight training seems to be the best way to burn calories AND tone/strengthen. You may burn less calories weight training in a 30 minute session, versus a cardio workout, but it's what happens after. When you're done weight training (with high weights, less reps), you continue to burn calories and build muscle long after the workout is done. in general, you stop burning calories when you step off the treadmill.

Again, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're a cardio buff (which if you are, hats of to you) I'd suggest the elliptical for 30-45 minutes at a moderate level so you can finish the workout. Don't kill yourself with it right away, build up your inclines and speed.

Hope this helped in any way.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/150/115

Height: 5'4

Well, I would say to focus on getting fitter, because the fitter you are, the more calories you can burn. So just focus on pushing yourself far enough so that you can still train tomorrow and being sure to have a rest day after strength training, which you definitely should do!
laciemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:10 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Curves, in my experience, won't get you there. It's a good starting point for people who were not active at all before... but it can only take you so far.

Agree with the poster above about the heavy lifting! I got awesome results lifting heavy weights... I haven't been able to, as much as I'd like, in the last year due to child care issues... I'm feeling it in major ways. I've been stuck ever since . Cardio just doesn't cut it for me! If you build muscle, your body burns more 24/7!

Last edited by ValRock; 05-31-2013 at 09:11 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I like to lift and do cardio (treadmill or running outside) on alternate days. If I had to make the call, I say I get more from cardio as it works my legs and core better than the weight training can. And a 300 calorie workout is big in my book!

Last edited by IanG; 05-31-2013 at 09:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/238/175

Height: 5"4.5

I chose Curves because I had been doing nothing for way too long. I had to start somewhere. Its a great motivational place and the people are really nice. The workout is difficult, probably because I'm just starting to work my muscles again. But I just got home from there and chose to only do treadmill tonight. I did 45 min and burned 350 calories!
goldiegirlrtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiegirlrtg View Post
I feel like burning just 300 calories in a workout isn't enough. How can I amp it up? When I go to curves, I do treadmill first, then the 2 rounds of the circuit. My diet is around 1400-1500 calories a day, with a slip up last night and this morning .... however I'm back on track today.

What are the best high calorie burning ways to workout???
300 calories in an hour is pretty good. I don't know what you mean by a work-out--so I assumed it was one hour? Aerobic activity will get you the biggest bang for your buck--when you're talking about the amount of calories you're burning during a workout.

There are plenty of those activities--one that you already mentioned the treadmill. How long are you on the treadmill is the next question? Then are you really working it--meaning your heart rate is up--you're sweating, etc. And are you staying pumped up through out all of the curves machines--and not letting your heart rate go down?

And if you're doing all that--then you're already burning calories at top speed.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-01-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote