Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

The elliptical is great, but don't expect it to lead to running... especially outside. It is alot different on the joints, the air is different so affects the lungs differently, and, outside, the surface changes.

I speak from experience lol, I thought the same thing. But I got to the point I could be on the elliptical for 45-75 minutes at a time but I still couldn't run more than a few feet.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
The elliptical is great, but don't expect it to lead to running... especially outside. It is alot different on the joints, the air is different so affects the lungs differently, and, outside, the surface changes.

I speak from experience lol, I thought the same thing. But I got to the point I could be on the elliptical for 45-75 minutes at a time but I still couldn't run more than a few feet.
ah, I suck at running i cant do more than 3 miles before dying and that is with a lot of walking inbetween
Lizzizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #18  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

For me, I try not to link exercise with weight loss. Exercise is for fitness and health. Of course, the truth is...exercise does help you lose weight. If you hate running, don't do it. I don't love running, but I do love rugby. I need to run to be fit for rugby.

Running is good for weight loss because it's relatively high intensity and as you get fit enough to run at a certain level you can always push to go a little faster or a little further. It's also good because you can get a fairly intense workout in a fairly short period of time...and it's flexible. You can do it any time anywhere (within reason).
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I can only speak for me - I was exercising a lot and eating right and lost weight.

And then my weight loss slowed and I started looking for the fastest way to torch calories. So I started running during my lunch hour. And the pounds melted off. Of course I had to eat right and I did other exercise - like weight lifting - and I was still really really heavy, but I do attribute a lot of my success to running.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #20  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I'm a non-runner/jogger. Have you tried brisk walking? As in getting your heart rate up where it's kind of hard to talk? It really worked well for me for fat loss.

I still get in some powerwalking a few times a week along with lifting weights. It's easy on the joints too - one of my major concerns.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #21  
Crimson

S/C/G: HW:150, SW:139, CW:120, GW:120

Height: 5'6.5"

I really don't like running myself. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate running, but in fact I do hate running 29 out of 30 days. And sometimes I still feel like a loser for that because everyone touts running so "high". But honestly, I think it's just another fad. One with some truth to it, but there's really no reason to consider running per se to be such a superior form of exercise to rowing, jumping trampoline, skipping rope, cycling, unicycling, rope balancing, rock climbing, basketball, hockey, dancing, figure skating, and whatever else you can think of.

So, I've lost all my weight and do most of my exercise cycling. Imo it doesn't matter for weight loss purposes which exercise you're doing, as long as you're getting your heart rate up consistently. So, try and push yourself, make yourself sweat on the elliptical. But don't make yourself run if you don't enjoy it. You'll just get frustrated and you'll drop out of exercising completely. Pick up an activity that you love and you can stick with. For me, that cycling. Could do it for hours (and have). Cycling two hours sounds like fun to me, running two hours sounds like torture

Also remember that it's not true that you'll pick one cardio exercise now and then you're stuck with it forever. Maybe you'll like the elliptical now, and maybe once you're a bit further in your weight loss running will become more enjoyable? I know I like running a little more since my thighs don't chafe together anymore So, don't be afraid of switching your exercise up.

I also strongly advise against seeing exercise as just another weight loss tool. There's diet, and then there's exercise. For both, you'll hopefully pick and stick with something you can do for life. But even if one of them doesn't pan out, there's no need it should impact the other. If you link them via their common "weight loss" goal ... - there's danger in that. So, keep up the exercise no matter how bad your diet gets, of if you get off track. And keep up the diet even if you didn't work out in a week.

Most importantly: Learn to enjoy the ride. It is the most important thing that you enjoy doing whichever exercise it is you're doing. Try to take a few minutes to tune in with yourself after a workout and take in how good you feel about yourself. Congratulate yourself, you've just done something amazing
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzizzi View Post
wow! really? after how much time do you see a difference by writing it down?
I went to a hypnotist many years ago to stop smoking. Yeah I know--I thought it was a little ridiculous at first--but he taught me how to convince myself that I didn't like something. Of course--at first I didn't believe him--very reluctant to even try it--thought it was a total rip-off of my dollars.

Well I tried it and it works. You see if we don't like something--we won't do it. And in this case if you can convince your sub-conscience mind that you don't like a certain food--eventually it comes around--to the next time you look at the problem food--you're brain will say NAH--I don't want it.

You can keep writing it down--or you can simply say to yourself--"I don't like bread and pasta"--and eventually it works--you trained your brain not to like those foods. And if you don't like it--you're sure not going to eat it.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-01-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarin View Post
I really don't like running myself. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate running, but in fact I do hate running 29 out of 30 days. And sometimes I still feel like a loser for that because everyone touts running so "high". But honestly, I think it's just another fad. One with some truth to it, but there's really no reason to consider running per se to be such a superior form of exercise to rowing, jumping trampoline, skipping rope, cycling, unicycling, rope balancing, rock climbing, basketball, hockey, dancing, figure skating, and whatever else you can think of.

So, I've lost all my weight and do most of my exercise cycling. Imo it doesn't matter for weight loss purposes which exercise you're doing, as long as you're getting your heart rate up consistently. So, try and push yourself, make yourself sweat on the elliptical. But don't make yourself run if you don't enjoy it. You'll just get frustrated and you'll drop out of exercising completely. Pick up an activity that you love and you can stick with. For me, that cycling. Could do it for hours (and have). Cycling two hours sounds like fun to me, running two hours sounds like torture

Also remember that it's not true that you'll pick one cardio exercise now and then you're stuck with it forever. Maybe you'll like the elliptical now, and maybe once you're a bit further in your weight loss running will become more enjoyable? I know I like running a little more since my thighs don't chafe together anymore So, don't be afraid of switching your exercise up.

I also strongly advise against seeing exercise as just another weight loss tool. There's diet, and then there's exercise. For both, you'll hopefully pick and stick with something you can do for life. But even if one of them doesn't pan out, there's no need it should impact the other. If you link them via their common "weight loss" goal ... - there's danger in that. So, keep up the exercise no matter how bad your diet gets, of if you get off track. And keep up the diet even if you didn't work out in a week.

Most importantly: Learn to enjoy the ride. It is the most important thing that you enjoy doing whichever exercise it is you're doing. Try to take a few minutes to tune in with yourself after a workout and take in how good you feel about yourself. Congratulate yourself, you've just done something amazing
Very well stated and so true.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #24  
Vegetarian college girl

S/C/G: 185/157/140

Height: 5'9"

Wow. I've gotta try this hypnosis thing sometime... :P

I'm a solo-jogger, but not a group jogger. Maybe you need a workout buddy? Like others have mentioned, running is not The Answer, haha.
wtfudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfudge View Post
Wow. I've gotta try this hypnosis thing sometime... :P

I'm a solo-jogger, but not a group jogger. Maybe you need a workout buddy? Like others have mentioned, running is not The Answer, haha.
We're just saying that running isn't the only solution to being physically fit or the only solution to help with weight loss. There's all kinds of aerobic activities that can produce the same results as running--and since every individual is different that it's important for each to find their nitch when it comes to exercise. If they like it--it's a good bet--that they'll continue to do it.

Last edited by Kscott; 06-01-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #26  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I run and have for about 1 1/2 and I run a fair amount. I managed to gain weight even running. You must cut the calories to lose weight. When I did that and tracked everything I ate I lost 30 Lbs in 4months.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Lizzizzi - I don't think there's some magic form of exercise that is guaranteed to show results more drastically or faster than another form. Riding a bike isn't going to guarantee more waist definition over swimming, and strength training isn't going to give you amazing legs for the summer faster than Pilates. It all depends on the person, how their body responds to various activities, and most importantly - how consistent you are in what you do and how you continue to push yourself!

This of course is all secondary to your eating habits. There's a saying "flat stomachs are made in the kitchen.", and while I question whether or not mine will ever be flat, I appreciate the sentiment that you can't out exercise a bad diet, no matter how many miles you run/bike/swim, etc.

I agree with much of what Kscott advised - you should pick the exercise that you like, ideally love, worst case scenario - hate the least because again, any exercise that you do, you're gonna have to do it consistently. You say it's already a chore to gt yourself to the gym. Stack the cards in your favor by picking an exercise you don't hate!

Best of luck to you
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #28  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've seen questions like this alot and it's not just about running. Everyone claim x is the fastest way to lose weight - what if you can't do x.

Firstly, people claim a lot of things are the fastest way to lose weight (they can't all be right), and besides, who says fastest is best, anyway.

If I had given up the need to lose weight rapidly, I might have reached my ideal weight more than 30 years ago.

The problem with all of the fastest ways is that they all require drastic and difficult to sustain changes. So drastic that it's very difficult to lose at a rate that makes the pace seem worth it. The minute the weight loss slows even a bit (and it always does), it becomes harder and harder to lose at a pace that seems worth the effort required.

It makes more sense to decide what you are capable and willing to do forever, and start from there. Keep adding more and more changes until you get where you want to be.

Fastest isn't everything.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I've seen questions like this alot and it's not just about running. Everyone claim x is the fastest way to lose weight - what if you can't do x.

Firstly, people claim a lot of things are the fastest way to lose weight (they can't all be right), and besides, who says fastest is best, anyway.

If I had given up the need to lose weight rapidly, I might have reached my ideal weight more than 30 years ago.

The problem with all of the fastest ways is that they all require drastic and difficult to sustain changes. So drastic that it's very difficult to lose at a rate that makes the pace seem worth it. The minute the weight loss slows even a bit (and it always does), it becomes harder and harder to lose at a pace that seems worth the effort required.

It makes more sense to decide what you are capable and willing to do forever, and start from there. Keep adding more and more changes until you get where you want to be.

Fastest isn't everything.
Have you ever noticed that the people who lose weight the fastest tend to gain it back the fastest also? Typically gaining back more than they lost quickly. And why those that lose weight slowly tend to keep it off.

This is why a life-style change--(eat less--move more) along with choosing an exercise schedule or program a person likes to do--appears to be the most successful at long term weight loss and health maintenance. No yo-yo's weight loss/weight gain--with this type of approach anyway.

As long as you continue to watch how much you're eating--and continue on with exercise programs that you like--weight should never be a problem in your life again.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alizarin View Post

This was awesome, yeah i used to be huge into cycling 2 years ago and yesturday it just didnt work for me anymore so I got onto the elliptical and burned 950 calories, I felt GREAT! thanks (:
Lizzizzi is offline   Reply With Quote