What do you count as exercise? - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
I only count what I officially set to do as exercise like a walk, weight lifting, swimming....

I clean/cook/garden a lot; I never count that.

What do you count as exercise?
About anything that is other than sitting or sleeping could be considered exercise. Albeit--cleaning really doesn't burn as much calories as aerobic activity--it's still burning more than doing nothing. But I really don't count normal daily activities as exercise. If they were counted--I would be as skinny as a string bean and I'm not--ha.ha.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-29-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #17  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I use to only "count" what I was doing when training with a HRM... So my swimming, biking, and running.... since I feel that it's fairly accurate as far calories "burned"... But I've recently also gotten into wearing "activity" monitors as well... I'm currently using the Nike FuelBand and I'm also using the FitBit One... and I'm finding those to be a lot of fun... Both very motivating... So now on top of my running I'm also setting daily step goals and floors climbed... And then I try to break those records..

I've set my daily step goal at 15,000 since I just came across something online that said 12,500 and above was considered "very active"... I always thought it was 10,000 steps or above, but according to what I came across that's just "active".... lol... I think my current top day for steps is something like 22,000 (on top of my running) so now I really want to try for 25,000 steps in a day... And now this is where I went a little crazy with the FitBit... I've been climbing flights of stairs like crazy because of it... Just to earn these silly "badges" and one day I did a 115 flights of stairs in my building... So now I'm determined to go for 125 floors climbed in a single day... which is kind of insane... and it's all because of this silly little FitBit...

P.S.... And as far as the the Nike FuelBand goes I think I'm going to "retire" it as soon as I earn 1,000,000 Nike Fuel points... I'm at about 250,000 right now, so I have a ways to go still... And I don't even really know what Nike "Fuel" is really... just that I have to work my a** off to earn it... lol... Just a whole other level of "crazy" on my part... But that's ok... I'm still having fun with it...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I started, I couldn't do anything remotely like formal exercise. I started counting steps (with a pedometer) and my goal every day was to beat the previous days total (even if only by a step or two). I didn't call it anything, I just did it.

That's still pretty much my philosophy "Don't call it anything, just work at being more active than whatever has become "normal."

I tend to consider exercise something (usually unpleasant) that you do because you have to, not because you want to.

I LOVE water activity - swimming various strokes, water aerobics, water walking, treading water, using water weights and other resistance equipment... I'd live in the water if I could. I always do far more work in the water than on land (to judge by muscle soreness).

Thinking of it as exercise takes a lot of the fun out of it - and I'm counting the minutes until I can stop. Calling it play, a hobby, or "what I do for fun," I tend to get lost in the activity and tend to prolong it as long as possible.

Rather than whether or not an activity should be considered exercise, I try to measure progress and improvement in strength, stamina, and endurance. With swimming, I count lengths or laps. With walking, I count steps, time, or distance. With household chores, I don't "count" so much, but I do pay attention to details such as how often I need to take a break, how much can I accomplish in a morning or afternoon - can I reach a shelf I couldn't reach before?

As I get stronger and more fit, I set higher goals for all types of movement whether planned for activity's sake or just for fun.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #19  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

TripSwitch I am sooo addicted to my fitbit. I average 13500 steps per day and 30 flights of stairs..... I envy your high amount of flights; no sky scrapers where I live, only my 2 story home
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #20  

Quote:
I average 13500 steps per day and 30 flights of stairs.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I've set my daily step goal at 15,000
OMG!!! Do either of you ever sit down?? You inspire me!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #21  
Fat to Fab and Fit

LOL, Elvis actually very little. As I am surfing the net, I am also cleaning/sorting out my winter stuff. Clean some, steps, check 3FC, clean more, more steps, check 3FC
Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #22  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
TripSwitch I am sooo addicted to my fitbit. I average 13500 steps per day and 30 flights of stairs..... I envy your high amount of flights; no sky scrapers where I live, only my 2 story home
Actually the funny thing is.... I think I'm so addicted to climbing fights of stairs now... that if I lived in a 2 story house... I would be going up and down those stairs all day long just to earn those silly badges... Lol...

But now that I did those 115 floors in just one day... Now I think I'm some sort of "tower runner" and that I'm gonna qualify Empire State Building Run-Up next year....
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #23  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
OMG!!! Do either of you ever sit down?? You inspire me!!!
Elvis... I'm on my phone right now... So I can't link to it... But I wanted to show you my treadmill computer desk workstation that I have... I know it sounds a bit crazy... But it's awesome... And I can get in an extra 3 or 4 miles of walking just talking on the phone at work each day... It was an absolute game changer for me.... But I've also set up a recumbent bike and a rowing machine in front of a tv... so when I'm watching the news or something like that... I do a little bit of biking or rowing...

But I do just totally kick back on the couch when I'm watching a movie or one my favorite tv shows that I DVR'ed... But that's like a big treat these days... Lol...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #24  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
Actually the funny thing is.... I think I'm so addicted to climbing fights of stairs now... that if I lived in a 2 story house... I would be going up and down those stairs all day long just to earn those silly badges... Lol...

But now that I did those 115 floors in just one day... Now I think I'm some sort of "tower runner" and that I'm gonna qualify Empire State Building Run-Up next year....
I do my daily walk in a hilly terrain. I usually get 20 flights just from that, then the rest come from running up and down those house stairs.

Isn't amazing what a little gadget like this can do to one?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #25  

That treadmill desk sounds awesome!!!

You ladies are making me tired just reading about your exercise!! No wonder the 2 of you are so thin!!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #26  
Fat to Fab and Fit

((((ELVIS)))) You just made my day. -- I have been so miserable with my past weight and with some personal issues....you were just what the doctor ordered! Now I am smiling
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #27  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I count walking in walmart as exercise, I know if I didnt use the cart I would burn more cal's but my balance isnt that good so I have to use the cart.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote