Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default Lifting Heavy

I've always been a very strong girl. I can lift, push, pull....do whatever, that my friends cannot think of doing. That comes naturally to me, it's in my veins as my dad is very strong and so is my mom. I haven't weight trained since high school (yikes!) and I want to start. I want to do low reps, high weights. Not really sure what "program" that would be. At any rate, I'm not sure how to go about doing that. I've read somewhere that doing 60-80% of your "1 rep max" is the best weight. Now given I figure that out, how many sets and reps should I be doing?

3 sets of 8 at a 60% weight?
1 set of 12 at an 80% weight?

I'm not sure if anyone follows what i'm saying. I'm so terrible at explaining things. I just want to get the most bang for my buck, and I guess I want to know if doing 12 and on the 12th, I feel like I'm going to break in half.. Or do a couple sets of 8 and at the END of that, feel like I'm going to break in half. haha.

Ahh damn my explanation skills.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

While I've never lifted before in my life, I'm about to start using the program New Rules of Lifting For Woman. The book recommends that you start at 2 sets of 15 reps and then as you move through the program and increase the weight you do 3 sets of 8 reps.

I know this doesn't completely answer your question but hopefully it's a start.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #3  

Actually it does help a lot. Ill look into that book. I think I've heard it around here before and probably was going to look into it at one time. Thanks !
Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm a big strong girl like you too, Rem. I LOVE lifting heavy! Makes me so happy!

New Rules for Women is a great book. Got my copy right here with me at my fitness studio today! I started lifting only a few years ago, but I love my progress and I wish I'd been doing it all along!

Have fun!

I have weenie friends too! I watch their eyes pop out when they're curling their 6 lb. weights and I'm curling my 20's. But my triceps are not well developed. I'm working on those now.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I do reps of 12, then 10, then 8, sometimes increasing the weight with each set. The last 2 of the 10 and 8 should be blinkin' hard to lift.

Last edited by IanG; 05-27-2013 at 08:12 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/226/135

Height: 5ft 3 in

I currently do 3 sets of 10-12, increasing the weight with each set. I have been thinking of reversing that and seeing how that effects my form and progress. I did body for life 5 years ago and even after such a long break, it has just been what was easiest for me.
evolving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I wouldn't worry too much about the %'s (ie. 60,95%) until you start to get into some pretty hardcore programming (ie. a 5x5 program, powerlifting olympic lifting etc). In the 8-12 rep range, you just choose what feels right for those reps. Don't worry, you make sense to those who know programming

I do the % calculations but I'm in the 3-5 rep range on a very specific linear program. I don't worry about % for my accessory lifts (which are 8-15 reps)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #8  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I second the new rules of weight lifting (for women) I haven't started, but have heard so many good things. I am looking forward to getting started though.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #9  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

Yay for strong women!

From what I understand lifting heavy weights with less reps build strength. Lifting medium weights with more reps builds muscle endurance.

I do both. I take a lifting class twice a week that most deals with lifting medium with more reps and I lift heavy at home one day a week. I'm liking the results of mixing it up.
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #10  

Thanks everyone. I bought that book and hopefully I'll get my act together and figure this out!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

I've heard lots of good things about the "New Rules" book, but another suggestion to go for a couple of crossfit sessions. They have the rubber weights at most boxes, so you can find your true 1 rep max. I personally loved the atmosphere, I just can't afford it! But taking a couple classes and going to open gym times might help you get a starting point, then branch off on your own.
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Remington--I'm so glad to hear you got the book. I've been doing the NROLW program since January and am in phase 5. I'm loving it! I'm sporting a totally different body than I started with. Like another person said earlier, I only wish I had started lifting sooner.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #13  

Since you've been doing the program maybe you can settle my question. I've read countless reviews and result stories. I just want to make sure it's going to aid in strength AND weightloss. I want to be for and healthy and strong . 100%. But I also want to get this weight off and look good once I'm done. Did you find it aided in weightloss or that it could ? Thanks ! And thanks so much for all the responses.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 AM   #14  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Exercise, any exercise, burns more calories. With building muscle, your lean body will have more mass and you'll burn calories at a higher rate. But expect to get a bit hungrier with weight training. But eventually, that'll settle down.

For my body, I find that I had to increase protein and fats a little. I also cut carbs throughout the day but added a little whole grains after a workout. Not something made from whole grain flour. Actual whole grains, like brown rice. I have blood sugar issues that need to be managed.

The latest research I read was that obese people are the ones most likely able to build muscle with cutting calories. You may find that as you get closer to a lower body fat percentage (like under 30%), you will have to start eating a bit more and your weight loss will slow. You can expect that the fat you burn will be replaced by muscle. And you can also expect muscle to take a long time to build.

Last edited by geoblewis; 05-31-2013 at 02:48 AM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I have definitely lost weight while doing the program! You will hear that muscle weighs more than fat, so you could gain a little weight (muscle!) while weight lifting. Another way that weight lifting affects weight is by causing your muscles to retain water temporarily after workouts as they rebuild. This is just part of the process. The authors of the book note that if you gain even 10 pounds of muscle while doing the program as a woman, you are at the top of the class. Weight lifting will cause you to lose fat and fit into smaller clothes, which was definitely my goal. You cannot focus on the number on the scale. While the number on my scale has gone down over time, I have also lost inches, clothing sizes and my body fat percentage had improved. I hope this helps to answer your question.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote