Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #16  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I also think that I look like I weigh less than I do because of the exercising...ive had people tell me, including my own doctor, that I LOOK like I weigh between 130-160 rather than right about 180-184
I went to see my family doctor last May (after hitting my goal weight) and she flat-out did not believe me when I told her that I wasn't at the goal weight *she* had set for me (which was 20 pounds less than what I weighed at the time.) She literally did not believe me until she weighed me herself.

....Don't you just love when people think you're smaller than you are? I do! Ahahaha.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #17  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
I went to see my family doctor last May (after hitting my goal weight) and she flat-out did not believe me when I told her that I wasn't at the goal weight *she* had set for me (which was 20 pounds less than what I weighed at the time.) She literally did not believe me until she weighed me herself.

....Don't you just love when people think you're smaller than you are? I do! Ahahaha.
which, for me, begs the question - what do I do about my goal weight? I don't want to call goal because on the scale i'm nowhere near my goal weight....on the other hand I seem to be smaller physically than what is commonly accepted I should look like at 180ish....I personally would like to lose more because there are still problem fat parts on my body and i'm sure that will resolve with more weight loss...on the other hand, weight loss has sloweddddddd down since I got under 190....anyhow that's just my own thoughts
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #18  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
I have been building a stronger, more muscular body over the last 10 months only netting 600-900 calories a day.
Hey, I hope you don't mind my being nosy, but your daily calories: are/were you specifically doing a very low-calorie diet, or is that just the way your calories ended up working out? There are days when, between my eating and my exercise, I end up netting only about that much, and I always feel kind of iffy about it because I keep thinking it's not enough and that I'll OMGDIE if I don't eat any more than that. :/

Like I said...I hope I'm not being too nosy, but I'm really curious. And since it seems to have worked for you, well....dammit, I'm curious. *L*

Last edited by Snoofie; 05-26-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #19  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
which, for me, begs the question - what do I do about my goal weight? I don't want to call goal because on the scale i'm nowhere near my goal weight....on the other hand I seem to be smaller physically than what is commonly accepted I should look like at 180ish....I personally would like to lose more because there are still problem fat parts on my body and i'm sure that will resolve with more weight loss...on the other hand, weight loss has sloweddddddd down since I got under 190....anyhow that's just my own thoughts
What I did...well. My GP (and my WW leaders) set my "ideal" weight at 125. Which would have required me to lose, in total, 80 pounds. Fine and dandy, it was no big deal, or whatever. But when I got down to 140, I looked at myself and realized that not only did I *look* good, I *felt* good. I felt amazing, actually.

But I decided to try and get down to 125 anyway just to see if I could do it. I got to 132 and got sick. Like, weak, sick, not able to keep up. My vitamin B12 levels didn't just drop, they *plummeted*. I had *zero* energy. And, I felt like I hd to deprive myself and nearly kill myself at the gym to keep myself there.

So I gained back the 8 pounds. At 140 pounds, I looked like I had actually reached my "ideal" weight of 125. So I went to my GP and told her that, no matter what she thought, I was fine staying at 140, and I asked her to provide me with a note declaring that, as far as she was concerned, 140 was a healthy weight for me. Before she would write the note, she performed a body fat analysis on me using calipers, and also measured my waist-to-hip ratio. Both were in the healthy ranges, although the BMI chart says I'm still "obese".

I got my note.

My advice to you, in terms of goal weight, is that the goal weight you set when you start your journey may change. And really, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As your body changes, so will your perceptions, and you may realize that your original goal either isn't healthy, or simply isn't right for you. And going by BMI charts and all that crap doesn't always work. According to the BMI chart, my friend who runs marathons and is a wicked roller derby enthusiast is "obese". I say that's crap, and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. The BMI system is kind of my mortal enemy. That chart says that, at my height, I need to be between 103-125 pounds to be in the "healthy" range. But at that weight, I would be sick. ****, I would be practically invisible. I refuse to go that low. I won't. I don't care what anyone says.

OK, rant over. Bahahaha.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Hey, I hope you don't mind my being nosy, but your daily calories: are/were you specifically doing a very low-calorie diet, or is that just the way your calories ended up working out? There are days when, between my eating and my exercise, I end up netting only about that much, and I always feel kind of iffy about it because I keep thinking it's not enough and that I'll OMGDIE if I don't eat any more than that. :/

Like I said...I hope I'm not being too nosy, but I'm really curious. And since it seems to have worked for you, well....dammit, I'm curious. *L*
Nothing is ever nosy to me here, I will help anyone I can with anything and everything I have. I'm paying this weightloss thing forward for the rest of my life as a thank you to all that have helped me. I might not have answers to everything but I sure will try!

I do a low calorie medically supervised diet. It is NOT safe to do as low calorie as I do without the proper monitoring (I see a medical team every week, get bloodwork done, vitals, etc.). It's a long story that I posted all over 3FC so I try not to keep repeating myself and boring everyone! I'm on a mission to get pregnant before September via in-vitro or I have to have a hysterectomy (I have endometrial cancer). This was the safest, easiest way for me to lose weight. My cancer doctor wanted me to have the hysterectomy and then weightloss surgery and I freaked out. My BMI was over 50 and I was a mess. My fertility doctor couldn't help me (hospital policy) if my BMI was over 40 and I was on medication that had a side effect of causing weightgain (I was already 330lbs+/- and the thought of gaining more was terrifying). 10 months later, here I am. BMI is 31, my cancer doctor gave me til September to get pregnant, my fertility doctor is thrilled with my weightloss, and my OB/GYN is waiting to hear that I might get pregnant very soon (God willing!).

My diet is very high in protein and fiber, low fat and low carb. I have never been more satisfied and satiated with the amount of food I eat. Before my diet I was eating easily 4000 calories a day, sad and depressed over some things in my life and exercise was non-existent. This time last year compared to this year are world's apart. I'm not the same person, mentally or physically.

Sorry to get winded and go a bit O/T. If I can help you or anyone else, ask away anytime.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #21  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I'm definitely going to keep my calorie deficit. Eventually as I get smaller ill increase my calories if need be. I'm hoping to be at goal by the time I'm done my weight training program. Just consuming enough protein. Didnt eat a whole lot today like I should have but I had 98g of protein. 35% pro %37 carb and 28% fat. Gunna play around with the macros and see how it goes.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #22  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

That's a nice amount of protein Remington. I am also trying to keep my calories low witout any increase.

I must be a little short on protein however because I eat so many salads. So if I lift hard I take a low calorie protein shake if I feel I need it. In fact I am using Isoflex whey powder ($$) at the moment which gives me 30g of protein for about 110 calories.

Last edited by IanG; 06-03-2013 at 10:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Ian that sound similar to my whey protein shakes. For added protein I eat a can of tuna, some miracle whip, onions and a little bit of cheese on a flat out bread (which are AWESOME, by the way. They're the flatbreads in the shape of an 8). Anyways adds extra protein, still low in calories (around 350 ish?) and its filling.

I ha 2 scoops of protein in my shake for more. Boy was that hard to choke down. Goin to have to eat more chicken breasts in salads!
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote